personally i think model and brand "shakeout" among digicams is imminent. [the humor x-thread]

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Guest, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    add your more informed speculation just for fun.

    Minolta got snuffed by ?? Kyocera (?)

    Casio has always done the credit card size fetish, since their calculators,
    so maybe Casio will keep making those cameras (unless cell phones
    incorporate good optics inexpensively, which I doubt).

    uhh.. I'm just doing stream of conscious here.

    Pentax? Panasonic?

    how long can Leica digis live off their brand name?

    recent news stories say that Sony intends to "GM" (de-diversify) all of
    their electronics.

    sharp appears to have self aborted their digicams.

    long term....?

    hp and Kodak becoming the Hotpoint and ford escort/f150 of the camera world.

    canon and Olympus doing the whole range, Nikon going higher range. Sony
    doing oddball-status stuff such as record to CD.

    "Walgreen's" and "Safeway" store brands doing the disposables

    Guest, Dec 6, 2003

  2. Guest

    Alan F Cross Guest

    If you're into predictions, this will interest ....

    http://bythom.com/2004predictions.htm

    In message <3fd14ce8$1@hughey>, writes

    --
    Alan F Cross

    Alan F Cross, Dec 6, 2003

  3. Guest

    Jim Waggener Guest

    "Alan F Cross" <> wrote in message
    > If you're into predictions, this will interest ....
    >
    > http://bythom.com/2004predictions.htm

    yup, pretty interesting predictions...thanks for the link

    Jim Waggener, Dec 6, 2003
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    > If you're into predictions, this will interest ....
    >
    > http://bythom.com/2004predictions.htm

    (that page written By Thom Hogan)

    Thanks.

    As you can tell I'm not a photo person, I'm just musing. AS proof, I
    incorrectly recalled the name kyocera. should have been konica. German,
    japanese, algerian - they all sound the same. :)

    ".. fold.
    Minolta/Konica, Leica, Hasselblad (. "

    It's interesting that he hasn't mentioned those foreign "knock off" brands.
    Chinon Zenit Kiev ... maybe they've been gone for years?

    I am wondering when the 3, 4, and 5mp digital guts will be adapted to the
    "basic" $200-250 SLRs, since they represent optimized lens and automatic
    everything at a budget. I wonder what has prevented this happening already.
    Maybe the size of the CCD has to be much different for SLR size lens?

    ". they say, "fax that too me, will you?" "Hey, I'll do better than that, I
    just captured it with my CamPhone and sent it to you via email ."

    CellFax, that's not surprising. For years, the fax software companies have
    tried to push their own weirdoid "email fax" fuddy duddy. But although I
    haven't yet actually TRIED using a camera as a scanner, I have used the
    scanner to make color photos of small objects. On the computer monitor, the
    result looks like a photo. I suppose the same pic taken with a camera would
    be at a macro setting.

    This is a great site:
    http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Cellfax_20to_20PDF

    " Someone will figure out that travelers no longer need or want one-hour
    developing.
    "

    well, duh. Starbucks and all have those 'hotspots'

    ready to connect to those printer kiosks.

    ". malware is coming.. "

    reminding us of recent articles about cell phone standardization and
    "appearance" of cell malware. CellCam malware, "convergence" :)
    but CellCams will dominate only after cell phones eliminate typical hardwire
    phone accounts.

    Futurism is fun.

    ".. "stock up on these films .."

    yeah, slide film hasn't been common.

    =======
    his
    http://bythom.com/2003predictions.htm
    is also interesting.

    " .. Adobe, who continues to not understand digital photography very well,
    ...."
    uh, Adobe is a dinosaur, but do well because the software industry/products
    has already mostly attained "commodity" status (marketing dependent rather
    than performance dependent).

    " ..[his Dec 2003 annotation:] Ritz Camera has announced the $11 Dakota
    digital disposable (as has Walgreens). .. "

    I don't visit Walgreens, but I have recently seen the Ritz disposable
    advertised. I think they advertised for more than $11. As Hogan says, the
    "disposable digital" concept is bizarre.

    Guest, Dec 7, 2003
  5. On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 00:15:03 -0800, <>
    wrote:

    >"Alan F Cross" <> wrote in message
    >> If you're into predictions, this will interest ....
    >>
    >> http://bythom.com/2004predictions.htm

    >(that page written By Thom Hogan)
    >

    >Thanks.
    >
    >As you can tell I'm not a photo person, I'm just musing. AS proof, I
    >incorrectly recalled the name kyocera. should have been konica. German,
    >japanese, algerian - they all sound the same. :)
    >
    >".. fold.
    >Minolta/Konica, Leica, Hasselblad (. "
    >
    >It's interesting that he hasn't mentioned those foreign "knock off" brands.
    >Chinon Zenit Kiev ... maybe they've been gone for years?
    >
    >I am wondering when the 3, 4, and 5mp digital guts will be adapted to the
    >"basic" $200-250 SLRs, since they represent optimized lens and automatic

    I think you will find they are already headed in that direction
    although the "good stuff" will probably stay around $500

    >everything at a budget. I wonder what has prevented this happening already.
    >Maybe the size of the CCD has to be much different for SLR size lens?
    >
    >". they say, "fax that too me, will you?" "Hey, I'll do better than that, I
    >just captured it with my CamPhone and sent it to you via email ."

    Every time a business says that to me I ask them if they have e-mail.
    Then I tell them I've never found a use for fax as e-mail can do the
    dame thing and faster. If it's an electronic doc, send me an e-mail
    and attach the doc.

    I really can't see a use for fax any more.

    >CellFax, that's not surprising. For years, the fax software companies have

    I had a devil of a time with purchasing a new cell phone. I couldn't
    convince them I only wanted a phone to 'talk on". I didn't want
    instant messaging, I didn't want photos, I didn't want a pager. I
    simply wanted a way to talk to people. I definately didn't want ANY
    of that stuff on my cell phone. I want to be available, but not that
    available.

    >tried to push their own weirdoid "email fax" fuddy duddy. But although I
    >haven't yet actually TRIED using a camera as a scanner, I have used the
    >scanner to make color photos of small objects. On the computer monitor, the
    >result looks like a photo. I suppose the same pic taken with a camera would
    >be at a macro setting.

    I'll still stick with a plain cell phone and use the camera like a
    camera.

    You'll have to fix the return add due to dumb virus checkers
    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Dec 8, 2003