    When I sign up to an agreement is it for a minimum of 12 months
    contract?

    Heidi

    Heidi Manway, Jan 23, 2007

  2. Heidi Manway

    Joy Guest

    "Heidi Manway" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > x-no-archive:yes
    >
    > Hi I am looking to set up my own personal website with its OWN Domain
    > any one know of some descent value for money hosting companies?
    >
    > As for web design Templates whats the best route to take.
    > When I sign up to an agreement is it for a minimum of 12 months
    > contract?

    If you want a free one, use google's own beta 'page creator' which you
    access through your gmail account. They host it but you can build your own
    pages and link them to your site which gives flexibility rather than just
    using their standard templates.
    Joy

    Joy, Jan 23, 2007

  3. On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:16:01 -0800, Heidi Manway wrote:

    > x-no-archive:yes
    >
    > Hi I am looking to set up my own personal website with its OWN Domain
    > any one know of some descent value for money hosting companies?

    Domain names cost $38/year. Do not feel that you need to host your domain
    name with the same company which hosts your website - because you don't.

    > As for web design Templates whats the best route to take.

    Create a website of your own without using "templates" unless you yourself
    create an original template in order to easily create pages with the same
    material (such as navigation) on much of each page. Otherwise your website
    will look like every other website that has used those templates.

    > When I sign up to an agreement is it for a minimum of 12 months
    > contract?

    Don't specify a period of time in the contract unless you're prepared to
    be bound by it with a potentially unreliable host - unless you've
    throughly sussed the host and know they're good for their word.

    I'm sure that others here will be able to advise you of a reliable host.

    Keep in mind that "reliable" often goes contrary to "affordable".

    To what level of reliability are you looking for?

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 23, 2007
  4. Heidi Manway

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Heidi Manway wrote:
    > x-no-archive:yes
    >
    > Hi I am looking to set up my own personal website with its OWN Domain
    > any one know of some descent value for money hosting companies?
    >
    > As for web design Templates whats the best route to take.
    > When I sign up to an agreement is it for a minimum of 12 months
    > contract?
    >
    > Heidi

    I use http://www.www-hosts.net/ seem good to me they can be really
    cheep most people don't need a lot of space

    Robert Cooze, Jan 24, 2007
  5. Heidi Manway

    noddy Guest

    On 23 Jan 2007 11:16:01 -0800, "Heidi Manway" <>
    wrote:

    >x-no-archive:yes
    >
    >Hi I am looking to set up my own personal website with its OWN Domain
    >any one know of some descent value for money hosting companies?
    >
    >As for web design Templates whats the best route to take.
    >When I sign up to an agreement is it for a minimum of 12 months
    >contract?
    >
    >Heidi

    Australasian hosts and registrars will rip you off.
    I have been running my own sites for getting on for 10 years now and
    despite trying on a number of occasions have given up entirely on
    trying to get decent service locally.
    IHUG and XtRA hosting charges are a joke and obviously aimed at people
    who know nothing about site management.
    Freeparking NZ is relatively expensive and their payment pages proved
    very frustrating to me when I tried to register for more than a year.
    They did not seem to be coded properly. I pointed this out to them
    one year, and they acknowledge the fault. A year later nothing had
    been done about it.This caused me to look further afield and I have
    found that US hosts and registrars offer much better terms and
    service.

    I would recommend you register your domain with It's Your Domain
    www.iyd.com $US15 per annum

    www.jtlnet.com have proved to be reliable hosts for a number of
    years.
    For US$7.50 a month you get 1 gig webspace along with a good range of
    features like up to date PHP and mysql databses. The help desk
    respond to queries with interlligent advice in a matter of minutes.

    noddy, Jan 30, 2007
  6. Heidi Manway <> wrote:

    > x-no-archive:yes
    >
    > Hi I am looking to set up my own personal website with its OWN Domain
    > any one know of some descent value for money hosting companies?
    >
    > As for web design Templates whats the best route to take.
    > When I sign up to an agreement is it for a minimum of 12 months
    > contract?
    >
    > Heidi

    <http://www.discountdomains.co.nz> - I used them for a couple years and
    was very happy with the service.
    However I now use Actrix (my current ISP) to host my domain, email,
    websites, etc. I'd check with your own ISP and see whether they can do
    you a decent deal. Actrix's hosting is a wee bit more expensive than
    DiscountDomains, but I'm not having to pay for my email with Actrix
    (over and above my regular monthly charge for my ADSL connection) so it
    works out cheaper to go with them instead.

    HTH,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 30, 2007