Personal opinion - Canon G7 vs Panasonic Lumix FZ18

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by aniramca@gmail.com, Sep 10, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I used both cameras in the past year. Last year, I took my G7 for a
    Dragon boat race held locally. It took great photos. This year, I used
    the FZ18 instead. I have to admit that the FZ18 is a better camera
    than the G7. This is my personal opinion based on the quality of
    pictures that came up, as well as the power of the zoom lens. I must
    admit that the Leica lens perhaps is the one that made the difference.
    I also did took photos of the full moon using both cameras last fall.
    Again, photos which were taken using the FZ18 were superior to the
    ones taken from my G7.
    For consolation, I do like the color swap and color accents features
    of the G7. In addition, the G7 is built more like a tank than the
    FZ18. Finally, G7 is also smaller and snug better in my pocket than
    the FZ18.
    This is my just a personal opinion after taking approx. 2000 photos
    from each cameras in the past year. I could not believe it myself, but
    that's the number of photos that were fired in the past year. I recall
    a week trip in the wilderness took almost 1000 photos alone. Both
    cameras are doing well, in terms of the wear and tear (on and off all
    the time).
    , Sep 10, 2008

  2. SMS Guest

    wrote:
    > I used both cameras in the past year. Last year, I took my G7 for a
    > Dragon boat race held locally. It took great photos. This year, I used
    > the FZ18 instead. I have to admit that the FZ18 is a better camera
    > than the G7. This is my personal opinion based on the quality of
    > pictures that came up, as well as the power of the zoom lens. I must
    > admit that the Leica lens perhaps is the one that made the difference.
    > I also did took photos of the full moon using both cameras last fall.
    > Again, photos which were taken using the FZ18 were superior to the
    > ones taken from my G7.
    > For consolation, I do like the color swap and color accents features
    > of the G7. In addition, the G7 is built more like a tank than the
    > FZ18. Finally, G7 is also smaller and snug better in my pocket than
    > the FZ18.

    Avoid the Lumix FZ18 at all costs.
    SMS, Sep 10, 2008

  3. eugene wrote on Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:29:20 +0100:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> I used both cameras in the past year. Last year, I took my G7
    >> for a Dragon boat race held locally. It took great photos.

    They don't sell the Canon G7 any more do they?

    --

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    James Silverton, Sep 10, 2008
  4. "eugene" <> wrote in message

    > "SMS" <> wrote in message
    > > wrote:

    > > Avoid the Lumix FZ18 at all costs.

    > Why do you say that? I have read "great" reviews of this model and no
    > negative reports. Is it from a personal experience?

    While the sensor size remained the same as the FZ7 and 8 at 1/2.5 ,
    the pixel count was pushed up to 8.3 megapixels from 6 mp in the FZ7.
    Which in many peoples opinion was a backward step for such a
    small sensor as the pixel density went from 24 mp/cm in the FZ7 to
    FZ18 32 mp/cm in the FZ18. So that image quality when shooting
    in less than ideal conditions would be futher compromised.

    In the same way while the 12X zoom leica lens in the FZ7 was regarded
    as a triumph of lens design, pushing it to 18X is generally believed
    to have reduced the overall image quality.

    Of itself the camera is OK, but compared with its immediate predecessors
    in the FZ line, the FZ7 and FZ8 it's regarded as a step too far in terms
    of pixel density and zoom capability.

    michael adams

    michael adams, Sep 10, 2008
  5. measekite Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:36:35 -0700, SMS wrote:

    > eugene wrote:
    >>
    >> "SMS" <> wrote in message
    >>> wrote:

    >>> Avoid the Lumix FZ18 at all costs.

    >> Why do you say that? I have read "great" reviews of this model and no
    >> negative reports. Is it from a personal experience?

    > Hmm, all the reviews I've read were tepid. I.e. "Panasonic has created a
    > really nice ultra zoom camera in the FZ18, though once again, image
    > quality needs improvement."
    >
    > Also, I read that it's best to shoot in RAW mode with this camera and do
    > your own post processing because the noise reduction on the JPEG images
    > eliminates too much detail, even at low ISO settings.
    >
    > Panasonic has always created feature-rich cameras that leave a lot to be
    > desired in terms of the image quality.

    There biggest drawback centers around noise above ISO 100. Either there
    is too much noise or the over-processed smeared look. That is one of the
    reasons I bought a Canon S5 IS. I also liked the articulating LCD.
    measekite, Sep 11, 2008
  6. SMS Guest

    measekite wrote:

    > There biggest drawback centers around noise above ISO 100. Either there
    > is too much noise or the over-processed smeared look. That is one of the
    > reasons I bought a Canon S5 IS. I also liked the articulating LCD.

    Yes, the S5 IS or the G9 is a much better choice than the Panasonic, if
    image quality is one of the main concerns. If image quality is a
    secondary concern then the FZ18 is indeed nice. 28-504 is certainly a
    lot more usable than 36-432 on the S5 IS, especially at the wide end.
    Not everyone cares all that much about getting the lowest-noise,
    sharpest picture, and will gladly sacrifice image quality for a wider zoom.
    SMS, Sep 12, 2008
  7. measekite Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:28:39 -0700, SMS wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >
    >> There biggest drawback centers around noise above ISO 100. Either there
    >> is too much noise or the over-processed smeared look. That is one of the
    >> reasons I bought a Canon S5 IS. I also liked the articulating LCD.

    > Yes, the S5 IS or the G9 is a much better choice than the Panasonic, if
    > image quality is one of the main concerns. If image quality is a
    > secondary concern then the FZ18 is indeed nice. 28-504 is certainly a
    > lot more usable than 36-432 on the S5 IS, especially at the wide end.
    > Not everyone cares all that much about getting the lowest-noise,
    > sharpest picture, and will gladly sacrifice image quality for a wider zoom.

    I guess there are those who think the purpose of a camera is not to get
    great image quality. For them they prefer the journey than the
    destination.
    measekite, Sep 12, 2008
  8. measekite Guest

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 06:41:26 -0700, SMS wrote:

    > measekite wrote:

    >>> Yes, the S5 IS or the G9 is a much better choice than the Panasonic, if
    >>> image quality is one of the main concerns. If image quality is a
    >>> secondary concern then the FZ18 is indeed nice. 28-504 is certainly a
    >>> lot more usable than 36-432 on the S5 IS, especially at the wide end.
    >>> Not everyone cares all that much about getting the lowest-noise,
    >>> sharpest picture, and will gladly sacrifice image quality for a wider zoom.

    >> I guess there are those who think the purpose of a camera is not to get
    >> great image quality. For them they prefer the journey than the
    >> destination.

    > There are always trade-offs. The 28mm at the wide end is a great feature
    > of the FZ18, and it's not like the image quality is horrible. If you
    > shoot in RAW mode, at ISO 100, you can get acceptable results from the FZ18.
    >
    > It's not a compromise I would make, as I'd rather get a D-SLR with a
    > wide-angle lens, but for someone wanting a cheap way to get a really
    > wide zoom range, including the relatively wide angle 28mm, the FZ18
    > would be okay, as long as they understood what they were getting into.

    I can see that but I think that the image quality from the Canon S5 IS at
    36mm wide is a better compromise. I like the menu system and the
    articulating lcd better. You can also Zoom in movie mode. Not a real
    biggie for me but some may find it useful.

    measekite, Sep 12, 2008