    had any experience with Companion Link?

    Thanks,

    Sam
    Sam Crawford, Jun 26, 2005

  2. Sam Crawford

    John Barnes Guest

    What installer are they using. If it is Wise Unwise, I had luck copying a
    32 bit version into the necessary install folder and renaming it if
    necessary. Worth a try and you can do a search to find another copy on your
    machine.

    John Barnes, Jun 26, 2005

  3. Office Outlook 2003 is a wonderful alternative to Act! ;-)
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 26, 2005
  4. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
    > Office Outlook 2003 is a wonderful alternative to Act! ;-)
    > --
    > Andre
    > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    >
    > "Sam Crawford" <> wrote in message
    > > I've used Act! as my Personal Information Manager for years. I sync it to
    > > my PocketPC using Companion Link. I haven't checked yet to see if
    > > Companion
    > > Link works on XP-64.
    > >
    > > The bad news is that Act! won't install on XP-64 as it probably has a 16
    > > bit
    > > installer. I contacted the company and all they would say is that their
    > > software doesn't work on 64 bit Windows.
    > >
    > > Has anyone had any experience with another PIM that works on XP-64?
    > > Anyone
    > > had any experience with Companion Link?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Sam

    ....except that it is not fault tolerant ; if you have some *.pst corruption
    , like crc error or some other artifact of botched write due to
    fragmentation, etc. , scanpst.exe might not be able to recover, and third
    party software does not seem to do better.
    Here is a sample :
    Microsoft (R) Inbox Repair Tool
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1995-1996. All rights reserved.
    **Beginning NDB recovery
    **Attempting to open database
    **Attempting to validate header
    **Attempting to validate AMap
    **Attempting to validate BBT
    **Attempting to validate NBT
    **Attempting to validate BBT refcounts
    **Attempting to validate header NID high-water marks
    **Beginning PST/OST recovery
    **Attempting to recover all top-level objects
    !!Folder invalid high-water-mark (nidi=5453, nidiHigh=557A)
    **Attempting to walk all folders
    !!Hierarchy Table for 122, row doesn't match sub-object:
    irow = 0, RowID = 2223
    **Attempting to locate any orphaned folders/messages
    **Attempting to check top-level objects for consistency
    ??Deleting SDO
    **Updating folder hierarchy
    Fatal Error: 00000000, dwErr=17

    ==> At that point, still no backup, even partial, created by the recovery
    tool, and you can't copy the PST by conventional means due to the crc error.
    All that on an NTFS partition.
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 26, 2005
  5. Microsoft fixed all the instability issues with PST in SP1.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 26, 2005
  6. Sam Crawford

    Sam Crawford Guest

    On 26-Jun-2005, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote:

    > Office Outlook 2003 is a wonderful alternative to Act! ;-)

    It may be. I guess I never took the time to learn how to use it.

    Thanks.
    Sam Crawford, Jun 27, 2005
  7. The experience is so much better with the preview pane in Outlook 2003,
    trust me, its worth getting.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 27, 2005
  8. Sam Crawford

    Sam Crawford Guest

    On 26-Jun-2005, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote:

    > The experience is so much better with the preview pane in Outlook 2003,
    > trust me, its worth getting.
    > --

    I've been using Outlook 2003 for email and as a conduit for syncing my
    PocketPC for the past few years. Just never considered it as a substitute
    for Act!.

    This is a little off topic but where is the best place to learn more about
    how to use Outlook 2003?
    Sam Crawford, Jun 27, 2005
  9. nntp://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook

    :)

    There are many books as well, and I'm sure lots of web sites and blogs and
    who knows what. But I'd start with the public newsgroup and go from there.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 27, 2005
  10. There is so much more to Outlook thank just e-mail, thats why its called a
    Personal Information Manager, it even has support for add ins so you can
    view blogs.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 27, 2005
  11. You can even create them from within it. :)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 27, 2005
  12. Exactly.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 28, 2005