personal information compromise

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by winged, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. winged

    winged Guest

    I mentioned that some bright layers were going to get involved earlier.
    Now it appears the shareholders are going to take their own company to
    court suing the for ChoicePoint selling personal information to identity
    thieves. Somehow this doesn't seem right that the investors are going
    to be first in line when the average Joe may suffer thousands in loses
    due to the actions of this company the shareholders own. I expect
    ChoicePoint is about to get sued out of existence. I think I would be
    careful about buying Bank of America stock, I heard that there may be a
    major class action suit filed against them due to privacy data they
    "misplaced" Now today Lexus Nexus announced the loss of data for yet
    another 32000 people.

    http://www.dmnews.com/cgi-bin/artprevbot.cgi?article_id=32084
    http://www.wfmynews2.com/news/technology/tech_article.aspx?storyid=37509

    We need to ensure our legislators get the message. The deliberate miss
    handling of privacy information is criminal. As security experts, this
    should mean job security. Watch the feeding lines start forming against
    these companies. If you own stock in one of them I recommend a strong
    sell. The fallout from this will impact how we do business and not only
    affect these businesses but every one of us who must deal with privacy
    information in one respect or another. If you are involved with the
    storage or transmission of this data you need to ensure the databases
    storing the information have the database fields encrypted with strong
    security keys and multiple impediments against the data traveling beyond
    your perimeter.

    Of course, it sounds like ChoicePoint, from various reports, knowing
    sold the data to people they knew were not authorized. As always
    apparently the company execs sold their stocks before the news broke.
    Someone should wear prison orange a long time over this deal, very
    probably several someones.

    Winged

    winged, Mar 10, 2005

  2. From: "winged" <>

    | I mentioned that some bright layers were going to get involved earlier.
    | Now it appears the shareholders are going to take their own company to
    | court suing the for ChoicePoint selling personal information to identity
    | thieves. Somehow this doesn't seem right that the investors are going
    | to be first in line when the average Joe may suffer thousands in loses
    | due to the actions of this company the shareholders own. I expect
    | ChoicePoint is about to get sued out of existence. I think I would be
    | careful about buying Bank of America stock, I heard that there may be a
    | major class action suit filed against them due to privacy data they
    | "misplaced" Now today Lexus Nexus announced the loss of data for yet
    | another 32000 people.
    |
    | http://www.dmnews.com/cgi-bin/artprevbot.cgi?article_id=32084
    | http://www.wfmynews2.com/news/technology/tech_article.aspx?storyid=37509
    |
    | We need to ensure our legislators get the message. The deliberate miss
    | handling of privacy information is criminal. As security experts, this
    | should mean job security. Watch the feeding lines start forming against
    | these companies. If you own stock in one of them I recommend a strong
    | sell. The fallout from this will impact how we do business and not only
    | affect these businesses but every one of us who must deal with privacy
    | information in one respect or another. If you are involved with the
    | storage or transmission of this data you need to ensure the databases
    | storing the information have the database fields encrypted with strong
    | security keys and multiple impediments against the data traveling beyond
    | your perimeter.
    |
    | Of course, it sounds like ChoicePoint, from various reports, knowing
    | sold the data to people they knew were not authorized. As always
    | apparently the company execs sold their stocks before the news broke.
    | Someone should wear prison orange a long time over this deal, very
    | probably several someones.
    |
    | Winged

    The SEC is investigating ChoicePoint Execs. for Securities Fraud !

    http://video.msn.com/video/p.htm?t=1&p=Source_CNBC&i=d67e865f-8829-4b5b-8993-fcf1bb799844&rf=

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7087572/
    --
    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Mar 10, 2005

  3. winged

    donnie Guest

    On 09 Mar 2005 22:31:16 EST, winged <> wrote:

    >I mentioned that some bright layers were going to get involved earlier.
    > Now it appears the shareholders are going to take their own company to
    >court suing the for ChoicePoint selling personal information to identity
    >thieves. Somehow this doesn't seem right that the investors are going
    >to be first in line when the average Joe may suffer thousands in loses
    >due to the actions of this company the shareholders own. I expect
    >ChoicePoint is about to get sued out of existence. I think I would be
    >careful about buying Bank of America stock, I heard that there may be a
    >major class action suit filed against them due to privacy data they
    >"misplaced" Now today Lexus Nexus announced the loss of data for yet
    >another 32000 people.

    ############################
    It would be nice if choice point was sued out of existence but I don't
    think that will happen. I know an IRS agent and he uses choice point
    at work all the time. I'm not worried about buying Bank of America
    stock or any other stock for that matter. I have no money anyway.
    donnie.

    donnie, Mar 11, 2005
  4. winged

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 09 Mar 2005 22:31:16 EST, winged <> wrote:

    >We need to ensure our legislators get the message. The deliberate miss
    >handling of privacy information is criminal.

    thats why the EU has a data protection directive, and the UK
    legislation.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com