    Their reply asked me to submit detailed info like name, company,
    number of computers, phone number, server, etc etc. Is this
    usual?

    pawihte, Apr 16, 2009

  2. pawihte

    PeeCee Guest

    "pawihte" <> wrote in message
    news:gs6t9g$8q3$...
    > I've been using Trend Micro's PC-cillin 2000, then 2002 and currently
    > their Internet Security 2006. I wanted to buy the 2009 version instead of
    > continuing to update the 2006. I live in India and since online ordering
    > and pricing in my currency is not available on their website, I asked for
    > their pricing info by email.
    >
    > Their reply asked me to submit detailed info like name, company, number of
    > computers, phone number, server, etc etc. Is this usual?

    If that concerns you then don't buy it.
    There are plenty of others on the market.

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Apr 16, 2009

  3. pawihte

    pawihte Guest

    Brian Cryer wrote:
    > "pawihte" <> wrote in message
    >> I've been using Trend Micro's PC-cillin 2000, then 2002 and
    >> currently
    >> their Internet Security 2006. I wanted to buy the 2009 version
    >> instead of continuing to update the 2006. I live in India and
    >> since
    >> online ordering and pricing in my currency is not available on
    >> their
    >> website, I asked for their pricing info by email.
    >>
    >> Their reply asked me to submit detailed info like name,
    >> company,
    >> number of computers, phone number, server, etc etc. Is this
    >> usual?

    > Yes and no. Its quite reasonable that they ask how many
    > computers and
    > servers you propose to use it on as this will affect the
    > pricing. If
    > its only for a single PC then say so.
    >
    > As for things like phone numbers, this is probably so a
    > salesman can
    > phone you to follow up on any quite they provide. If you don't
    > want a
    > call from a salesman then don't provide a phone number. If you
    > are
    > purchasing on behalf of a company then company name is
    > reasonable,
    > but if you are a acting on your own behalf then just ignore it.
    >
    > This is just my opinion of course.

    Thanks for the reply. I clearly indicated in my enquiry that I
    had been using their earlier products for personal use and I gave
    my postal address too. Not that I have anything to hide, but
    since pricing for other countries is available on their website,
    I felt that the Indian branch are unnecessarily complicating
    things.

    pawihte, Apr 16, 2009
  4. Brian Cryer wrote:

    > "pawihte" wrote:
    > <snip>
    >> Thanks for the reply. ...

    > If its for personal use then would AVG do just as well? (and its free)

    Over in the anti-virus newsgroups, Avira and/or Avast generally get more
    favorable reviews than AVG. Some have said AVG is turning into the
    bloated pig like the popular pay-for applications.

    Avira and Avast are also free for personal home use.

    --
    -bts
    -Putting anti-virus software on an MS Windows computer is like

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 16, 2009
  5. pawihte

    pawihte Guest

    Kenny wrote:
    > Download and install the free trial, then if you're happy with
    > it buy
    > it.. http://uk.trendmicro.com/uk/products/personal/index.html
    >

    > "pawihte" <> wrote in message
    >> Brian Cryer wrote:
    >>> "pawihte" <> wrote in message

    Reply to the top post:
    I *am* happy with Trend Micro's line of products, which is why I
    want to continue using it. The issue (if it can be called that)
    is that the Indian branch does not show pricing on their website.
    When I asked for it, they replied with a query of their own which
    I find mildly annoying.

    pawihte, Apr 16, 2009
  6. pawihte

    pawihte Guest

    Brian Cryer wrote:
    > "pawihte" <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >> Thanks for the reply. I clearly indicated in my enquiry that I
    >> had
    >> been using their earlier products for personal use and I gave
    >> my
    >> postal address too. Not that I have anything to hide, but
    >> since
    >> pricing for other countries is available on their website, I
    >> felt
    >> that the Indian branch are unnecessarily complicating things.

    > If its for personal use then would AVG do just as well? (and
    > its free)

    I used AVG Free for some time when my PC-cillin 2002 was getting
    long in the tooth. It's an OK product, but my main objection is
    that it's much slower than Trend Micro's product and doesn't come
    with a firewall. I haven't tried the paid version.

    pawihte, Apr 16, 2009
  7. pawihte

    pawihte Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Brian Cryer wrote:
    >
    >> "pawihte" wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >>> Thanks for the reply. ...

    >> If its for personal use then would AVG do just as well? (and
    >> its
    >> free)

    > Over in the anti-virus newsgroups, Avira and/or Avast generally
    > get
    > more favorable reviews than AVG. Some have said AVG is turning
    > into
    > the bloated pig like the popular pay-for applications.
    >
    > Avira and Avast are also free for personal home use.

    Thanks for your interest. I've tried out or observed on other
    people's computers various other AVs like AVG, Avast, Symantec,
    Kaspersky, McAfee, etc. It seems to me that TM's Internet
    Security is the fastest of them all. I like the interface too,
    though that's probably only because I'm familiar with it.

    pawihte, Apr 16, 2009