Personal Computer 25th anniversary

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jerry, Aug 11, 2006.

  1. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Jerry, Aug 11, 2006

  2. Jerry

    Matty F Guest

    Matty F, Aug 14, 2006

  3. Jerry

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    "Matty F" <> wrote:

    >I have an HP 286 which still runs the programs written for it at the
    >time, which would be around 1985. I could do with another 10 megs of
    >disk space.

    That's a modern machine <g>. I have an IBM PC Portable, which is a PC-XT in
    a "portable" case with a 9 inch amber monitor. I bought it new, then gave it
    to my father who used it regularly until his death a couple of years ago. It
    still runs fine, as does the IBM CGA monitor I bought with it.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Aug 14, 2006
  4. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Don Hills wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Matty F" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have an HP 286 which still runs the programs written for it at the
    >>time, which would be around 1985. I could do with another 10 megs of
    >>disk space.

    > That's a modern machine <g>. I have an IBM PC Portable, which is a PC-XT in
    > a "portable" case with a 9 inch amber monitor. I bought it new, then gave it
    > to my father who used it regularly until his death a couple of years ago. It
    > still runs fine, as does the IBM CGA monitor I bought with it.

    You both got me, my vintage computer is very modern. It is a 386 but
    quite cute
    http://www.sinasohn.com/cgi-bin/clascomp/bldhtm.pl?computer=t52001
    I have Win 3.1.1 running on it and it works just fine. It is a
    "luggable* type portable and I have the genuine Toshiba case for it. It
    looks kind of like a giant laptop.

    Jerry, Aug 16, 2006
  5. Jerry

    EMB Guest

    Don Hills wrote:

    > That's a modern machine <g>. I have an IBM PC Portable, which is a PC-XT in
    > a "portable" case with a 9 inch amber monitor. I bought it new, then gave it
    > to my father who used it regularly until his death a couple of years ago. It
    > still runs fine, as does the IBM CGA monitor I bought with it.

    I've got one too which I bought new. And isn't that amber monitor horrible.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Aug 16, 2006
  6. Jerry

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <ebvueg$ojn$>, EMB <> wrote:

    >I've got one too which I bought new. And isn't that amber monitor horrible.

    Better than lugging a full size one around, but I wish it had been white or
    green instead of amber. A colour one (like the Commodore SX-64) would have
    been nice but with the shadow mask technology of the day it wouldn't have
    been usable in 80 column mode.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Aug 17, 2006
  7. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Don Hills wrote:
    >

    >> That's a modern machine <g>. I have an IBM PC Portable, which is a
    >> PC-XT in
    >> a "portable" case with a 9 inch amber monitor. I bought it new, then
    >> gave it
    >> to my father who used it regularly until his death a couple of years
    >> ago. It
    >> still runs fine, as does the IBM CGA monitor I bought with it.

    > I've got one too which I bought new. And isn't that amber monitor
    > horrible.

    my Tosh is amber as well

    Jerry, Aug 17, 2006
  8. Jerry

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <44e41091$>, Jerry <> wrote:

    >my Tosh is amber as well

    Yeah, but it's plasma. If it's anything like the IBM P70 / P75 display,
    it'll be quite readable.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Aug 17, 2006
  9. In message </>, Don Hills wrote:

    > In article <ebvueg$ojn$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>I've got one too which I bought new. And isn't that amber monitor
    >>horrible.

    > Better than lugging a full size one around, but I wish it had been white
    > or green instead of amber.

    The reason why monochrome monitors were commonly green or amber was because
    those colours were easier on the eyes for long-term use than white/grey.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 20, 2006
  10. Jerry

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-08-19, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > The reason why monochrome monitors were commonly green or amber was because
    > those colours were easier on the eyes for long-term use than white/grey.

    having used a "paper white" monochrome monitor I disagree.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Sep 2, 2006
  11. Re: IBM PC 25th anniversary

    In message <44dc6396$>, Jerry wrote:

    > The IBM PC was announced on 12 August, 1981

    Which hardly makes it the 25th anniversary of the "personal computer", does
    it?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 3, 2006
  12. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Re: IBM PC 25th anniversary

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <44dc6396$>, Jerry wrote:
    >

    >>The IBM PC was announced on 12 August, 1981

    > Which hardly makes it the 25th anniversary of the "personal computer", does
    > it?

    True, I should have put IBM in the subject line. Thank you for the
    correction.

    Jerry, Sep 3, 2006
  13. Jerry

    Mutley Guest

    Re: IBM PC 25th anniversary

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <44dc6396$>, Jerry wrote:
    >
    >> The IBM PC was announced on 12 August, 1981

    >Which hardly makes it the 25th anniversary of the "personal computer", does
    >it?

    For what it's worth. The hard disk was 50 years old in August as
    well.

    Mutley, Sep 3, 2006
  14. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Re: IBM PC 25th anniversary

    Mutley wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >

    >>In message <44dc6396$>, Jerry wrote:
    >>

    >>>The IBM PC was announced on 12 August, 1981

    >>Which hardly makes it the 25th anniversary of the "personal computer", does
    >>it?

    > For what it's worth. The hard disk was 50 years old in August as
    > well.

    I think it was formally announced in September. IBM demonstrated an
    engineering model in May 1955. Picture of the first one here
    http://www.cedmagic.com/history/ibm-305-ramac.html

    Jerry, Sep 3, 2006