persistent spammer

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by RK, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. RK

    RK Guest

    Who are the people (spamcop etc?) that you report persistent spammer email
    addresses to?
    I keep adding in rejections for this particular spammer and they then use a
    slightly different version of their address. I also (the first time around,
    naively) used the facility they indicated at the bottom of their email which
    said "to be removed from the list go to this site and put your email address
    in.

    They aren't selling dodgy stuff or foreign stuff so I figured it might be a
    fairly benign spammer - but like all spamming filth they just don't want to
    stop.

    Also say the address of the spammer is then in
    postfix (Redhat box) as well as putting

    REJECT

    can I put

    spammingfilth REJECT

    and it would get all versions of or

    ??????

    RK, Jul 30, 2003

  2. RK

    H3r3 and n0w Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:26:50 +1200, RK wrote:

    > Who are the people (spamcop etc?) that you report persistent spammer email
    > addresses to?
    > I keep adding in rejections for this particular spammer and they then use a
    > slightly different version of their address. I also (the first time around,
    > naively) used the facility they indicated at the bottom of their email which
    > said "to be removed from the list go to this site and put your email address
    > in.
    >
    > They aren't selling dodgy stuff or foreign stuff so I figured it might be a
    > fairly benign spammer - but like all spamming filth they just don't want to
    > stop.
    >
    > Also say the address of the spammer is then in
    > postfix (Redhat box) as well as putting
    >
    > REJECT
    >
    > can I put
    >
    > spammingfilth REJECT
    >
    > and it would get all versions of or
    >

    > ??????

    Can't you block the IP addresses in postfix? I do in sendmail's 'access'
    file.

    They are harder to fake than the mail address elements.

    H3r3 and n0w, Jul 30, 2003

  3. RK

    Jay Guest

    RK wrote:

    > Who are the people (spamcop etc?) that you report persistent spammer email
    > addresses to?

    Their ISP.

    > I keep adding in rejections for this particular spammer and they then use
    > a slightly different version of their address. I also (the first time
    > around, naively) used the facility they indicated at the bottom of their
    > email which said "to be removed from the list go to this site and put your
    > email address in.

    Never reply to that sort of thing.
    Spammers use that to detect gullible email destinations.

    > They aren't selling dodgy stuff or foreign stuff so I figured it might be
    > a fairly benign spammer - but like all spamming filth they just don't want
    > to stop.

    So it is a NZ company?
    How about phoning them.

    Do a reverse lookup of their IP address (the last Received from line
    in the headers). Then do a whois lookup for the domain.
    This will give you some contact email addresses, phone or fax numbers,
    and company name of the ISP. Complain to the ISP about their customer.

    Jay, Jul 31, 2003
  4. RK

    RK Guest

    "RK" <> wrote in message

    > Who are the people (spamcop etc?) that you report persistent spammer email
    > addresses to?
    > I keep adding in rejections for this particular spammer and they then use

    > slightly different version of their address. I also (the first time

    around,
    > naively) used the facility they indicated at the bottom of their email

    which
    > said "to be removed from the list go to this site and put your email

    address
    > in.
    >
    > They aren't selling dodgy stuff or foreign stuff so I figured it might be

    > fairly benign spammer - but like all spamming filth they just don't want

    > stop.

    Cheers for the info guys - I will reject the IP and try to find out who
    their ISP is (they are not NZ)

    RK, Jul 31, 2003
  5. RK

    Who is this Guest

    In article <KCXVa.8381$>, "RK" <>
    wrote:

    > Who are the people (spamcop etc?) that you report persistent spammer email
    > addresses to?

    DONT use spamcop. I found that once I started using spamcop the amount
    of spam I received actually increased. Spamcop is a great idea but it
    does not work because so many of the spammers can not be stopped as the
    ISPs are happy to register as many bogus domains as it takes to keep the
    spam spewing out.

    Ask you ISP to set up a whitelist as it is the only way to stop spam
    permanently.

    Who is this, Jul 31, 2003
  6. RK

    Jay Guest

    Who is this wrote:

    > In article <bg9kuc$lgm6b$-berlin.de>,
    > Jay <> wrote:
    >

    >> Do a reverse lookup of their IP address (the last Received from line
    >> in the headers). Then do a whois lookup for the domain.
    >> This will give you some contact email addresses, phone or fax numbers,
    >> and company name of the ISP. Complain to the ISP about their customer.

    > WRONG, many spams have faked headers, you can use spamcop.net to trace
    > these but don't actually send the reports

    WRONG.
    Even spamcop.net cannot _prove_ whether a header is faked or not.
    And the method I suggested is adequate - and you can even discern
    a faked header fairly easily.

    You are WRONG to say WRONG because what I suggested was *not* WRONG.
    I was RIGHT about about what I said.

    And even if a spam does used faked Received lines there will
    be a line that isn't faked. And since most responsible ISPs do
    IP verification before accepting any email then you can at least
    locate that flakey ISP or an open relay etc.

    Jay, Jul 31, 2003
  7. RK

    Who is this Guest

    In article <bgajh2$mtlog$-berlin.de>,
    Jay <> wrote:

    > Who is this wrote:
    >
    > > In article <bg9kuc$lgm6b$-berlin.de>,
    > > Jay <> wrote:
    > >

    > >> Do a reverse lookup of their IP address (the last Received from line
    > >> in the headers). Then do a whois lookup for the domain.
    > >> This will give you some contact email addresses, phone or fax numbers,
    > >> and company name of the ISP. Complain to the ISP about their customer.

    > > WRONG, many spams have faked headers, you can use spamcop.net to trace
    > > these but don't actually send the reports

    > WRONG.
    > Even spamcop.net cannot _prove_ whether a header is faked or not.
    > And the method I suggested is adequate - and you can even discern
    > a faked header fairly easily.

    Not easily. Spamcop is very good at finding fake headers as it knows
    what the logical path is meant to be. For example if you were to drive
    from Wellington to Auckland, if Christchurch popped up then that and
    everything preceeding it will be fake. However unless you KNOW all of
    the domains etc between ehere the mails was said to have come from and
    your address you will find it very difficult to see which part is faked.

    Who is this, Aug 1, 2003