    Installed NEW wired NIC same situation.

    I ran tcp/ip repair reset winsock etc with software at
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/xptcpiprepair.html
    Channel 53, Jan 30, 2009

  2. Channel 53

    Barb Bowman Guest

    you mention a wired NIC (and this is a wireless newsgroup) but,
    assuming you really mean wired, have you unplugged one of the other
    computers and connected the cable from the non working computer to a
    known working port on the router where the working computer was
    plugged in? this would rule out a bad port on the router for
    starters.

    can u post the full text output of ipconfig /all as a reply please?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Jan 30, 2009

  3. Channel 53

    Channel 53 Guest

    Everything wired, tried patch cord in various ports.

    Channel 53, Jan 30, 2009
  4. Hi
    Use this process in this page to check the NIC.
    Wire, http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    Wireless, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    If every thing checks OK try this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html#refreshnet
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 30, 2009
  5. Channel 53

    Channel 53 Guest

    Sometimes tells me the NIC's are installed correctly if I can get a IP
    via DHCP from either of them in the same PC and I can browse other
    computer shares on the local network.
    Is is possible something is blocking ports ?

    Channel 53, Jan 30, 2009
  6. Hi
    Ports are usually blocked by Firewall, or if there is a very specific
    application that was installed in order to block ports.
    Otherwise, by default all ports are Not closed, or Opened, they are just
    idling waiting to be use if needed.
    However port Closed or Open has nothing to do with the NIC installation. If
    the NIC is Not installed correctly the Network can not work.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 31, 2009
  7. Channel 53

    Barb Bowman Guest

    if you have a broadband modem, one thing to try is to power down the
    modem, remove the router and then connect the problematic computer
    direct to the modem, plug in the modem and reboot the computer. if
    the computer gets an IP and can surf, then you can pretty much rule
    out anything on that computer/NIC

    Barb Bowman, Jan 31, 2009
  8. Channel 53

    Channel 53 Guest

    If teither of the nics were not installed correctly I wouldnt be able
    to browse or write to other local shares right ?
    I am leaning towards uninstalling Norton Anti-Virus 2008 (Not norton
    internet security) before I re-install windows.

    Channel 53, Jan 31, 2009