Perpetual Vista reboot on start-up

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Mike, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    It's as simple as that: My Vista Business is perpetually rebooting as it trys
    to start up. It gets halfway through the loading screen, the scolling bar
    freezes, and the machine reboots.

    Here's the hardware situation:
    -Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard
    -4gb Corsair DDR2
    -AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    -GeForce 7600GT PCI-E x16
    -WD 160gb IDE HDD
    -WD 160gb SATA HDD (Windows Drive)
    -SATA Lightscribe CD/DVD-RW
    -Logisys 480W PSU

    The problem arose after my old DFI Infinity Mobo died. The replacement is
    the above listed Gigabyte Mobo. I've upgraded to the latest bios, cleared the
    CMOS, tried it with only 1 stick of memory, and it still does the same thing.
    I've tried startup repair on the Vista DVD and it always says it can't find a
    solution. Memory scan turned out okay. CHKDSK appears to pass.

    What is going on here?!
    Mike, Jan 30, 2008

  2. Mike

    Theo Guest

    Did you do a completely CLEAN install on the new
    motherboard? If not, then that's what you need to do.

    Theo, Jan 30, 2008

  3. Mike

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Mike.

    Theo's right.

    Windows or Vista doesn't know the difference between (a) moving its HD to a
    different computer and (b) leaving the HD in place while replacing the mobo
    under it. In either case, you are taking an installation that Setup
    customized to fit your DFI configuration and asking it to run in the
    Gigabyte environment. It would be like when you wake up in your new house
    the first morning after you move. Your coffeemaker still works fine, but
    the kitchen is no longer where you remember it.

    I went through this once with WinXP and just once, at the very beginning,
    with Vista. As soon as Vista RTM arrived for beta testers in November 2006,
    I installed it on my EPoX 8KDA3+ mobo/AMD 64 3200+ rig. Then I bought and
    assembled my new rig in December, with the EPoX MF570sli AM2 mobo with
    nVidia 570 chipset and AMD 64 X2 5000+, still using my old (nearly-new SATA
    II) hard drives. Then I clean-installed Vista Ultimate x64 RTM on the new
    rig and it has been running very well ever since. ;<)

    With WinXP, changing mobo/chipset always required an "in-place upgrade"
    (also known as a "repair install"), whether WinXP was moved into a new case
    or the new mobo was installed in the old case. Either way, Setup had to run
    again to re-configure the installed operating system to fit the new
    environment. With Vista, we have to do essentially the same thing, but the
    procedure is slightly different. Since I did a clean install, I haven't
    actually been through the new process, but I've read about it. (I'm just
    one guy with one computer, so I don't get to experiment with a lot of
    different machines like many MVPs and other users do.)

    With your new environment configured the way you want it, boot from the
    Vista DVD-ROM and choose its "Repair your Computer" option. For details,
    Google for "repair install" + vista. The first hit I got (of over 80,000)
    was MVP John Barnett's page:
    Windows Vista Repair Options
    http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows_vista_repair_options.htm

    Good luck. And please report back for the benefit of others with similar
    questions. In a newsgroup, we all learn from each other.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jan 30, 2008
  4. Mike

    mikeyhsd Guest

    instead of a CLEAN install, try an IN PLACE upgrade to refresh vista to the new motherboard.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 30, 2008
  6. Mike

    Theo Guest

    Windows Vista Repair Options

    Windows Vista does not contain a Recovery Console, therefore
    doing a repair install like that we are familiar with in
    Windows XP is not possible. Instead, if you need to replace
    the operating system, you either have to re-install Vista
    from scratch, or else re-image the drive from a backup
    source created using the Windows Vista Backup Status and
    Configuration application. this then effectively replaces
    the current copy of Windows Vista with a shadow copy you
    backed up previously.

    This backup option is the only one provided by Windows
    Vista. of course there are other ways of imaging your hard
    drive, but these require the user to purchase a third party
    application.

    Of course, re-imaging is one option. If, however, you are
    simply experiencing startup problems or perhaps you cannot
    readily access your system and need to do a system restore,
    then you need to look at Windows Vista's Repair Your
    Computer options.

    How you access the repair options will depend upon whether
    you have a Windows Vista installation disk or whether your
    operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.

    Theo, Jan 30, 2008
  7. Mike

    Mike Guest

    My biggest fear was that I was going to have to do a clean install. Is it
    even possible for me to do an in-place upgrade since I can't even load
    windows?

    I will make sure to document my experience no matter what the outcome..

    Mike, Jan 30, 2008
  8. No, its not.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 30, 2008
  9. Mike

    Carlos Guest

    Mike,
    Switching motherboards definitely calls for a fresh install.
    Before doing that you will surely want to recover all your important
    documents that may be now inaccessible.
    If such is the case, two items would be necessary:
    1.- A spare hard disk (for backing up your documents)
    2.- A bootable OS in CD (a "Live CD"). Choose whatever distribution you
    like: XP-lite, Linux, etc.
    Plug in (computer in power off state) your spare drive, turn on your
    computer, place the bootable OS CD in the drive and boot.
    If your documents to be saved fit into an USB pen drive you might try that
    instead of the hard disk alternative.
    If your motherboard supports booting from USB you might try a bootable USB OS.
    (www.bootdisk.com).
    Save all your info and then you will be good to go with the Vista fresh
    install.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 30, 2008
  10. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I have my 160gb SATA drive partitioned to give only 60gb to Windows and the
    other half is my "Video" drive. My 160gb IDE drive is my dedicated "Media"
    drive where I have moved My Documents and all that stuff. The only PITA thing
    about reformatting my Windows partition is reinstalling all my programs and
    getting all the settings just how I like them. I'd like to avoid this if
    possible..

    I do have a custom bootable Norton Ghost utility. I can boot from the CD and
    do a Partition-to-Image and save it on my extra drives. But how will this fix
    anything regarding my startup issue? It will just put the problematic
    registry and other entries back together when I restore it..

    Mike, Jan 30, 2008
  11. Mike

    Carlos Guest

    Well, it seems you have done your homework regarding data security.
    I also keep my important stuff "away" from the OS partition/disk.
    You will have to do the fresh install thing, though.
    Good luck.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 30, 2008
  12. Mike

    Theo Guest

    It won't do anything to fix your boot problem. You will be
    able to save data in the event you need it in the future.
    You'll still have to do a clean install if you want your
    system to function correctly.

    Theo, Jan 30, 2008
  13. Mike

    mikeyhsd Guest

    begin the install process by booting from the DVD and on the screen where you select what to do, see if you are offered the UPGRADE option.
    I have been in the past.

    mikeyhsd, Jan 30, 2008
  14. How do you do that with an x86 upgrade edition product key? I know it should work with an x86 full edition product key but I don't see how with an upgrade edition.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 31, 2008