    access it from another machine.

    Regards.
    Paul.
    Kardon Coupé, Mar 6, 2005

  2. "Kardon Coupé" wrote:
    > I'm on 3 machines of WinXP, and 1 machine on Win98, I would like to know if
    > there are basic settings, within each machine, so that I never get any
    > errors whilst navigating different folders. There need be no hidden files,
    > or nothing that is privi to other machines. Where shall I go to make sure
    > all machines have access to all machine, as I am experiencing problems now,
    > when I try to access "Documents and Settings" on one machine, but not on
    > another, and I can access "Program Files" one way, but it won't let me
    > access it from another machine.
    >
    > Regards.
    > Paul.

    There was an old technical support joke about a secret driver, noerror.sys,
    if you install it, Windows never bluescreens, programs never crash and all
    works nicely.
    But the evil Microsoft reserves it for themselves and won't allow download it.

    Seriously - to get full access to all machines you need to log on as
    administrator to all them, _and_ set the proper network permissions to all
    the shares.
    This has nothing to do with wireless, please ask in other newsgroups.
    There are also "backdoor" hacking tools; hope you aren't asking about these.

    Good luck,
    --PA
    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Mar 7, 2005

  3. What your saying about permissions is what im trying to acheive, i am
    logging in as admin, and as far as i was aware if i right click on the c
    drive, and choose sharing and security, share the drive and allow users to
    change the files, that was that, but i find i can't get access to docs and
    settings, unless i right click that and give it its own share, then i find
    when i go into the docs and setting folder, i have to do that on each
    individual folder. same with program files and the windows folder. i am
    wondering if there is a global setting that can be turned on, or something
    getting disabled for ease? or and 3rd party software that can automate the
    process easy for me. i have 3 machines i would like to do this on.

    hope you can help.

    p.s. if i manage to find noerror.sys, you'll see me on the news =-)

    Kardon Coupé, Mar 7, 2005
  4. Kardon Coupé

    Malke Guest

    Kardon Coupé wrote:

    > What your saying about permissions is what im trying to acheive, i am
    > logging in as admin, and as far as i was aware if i right click on the
    > c drive, and choose sharing and security, share the drive and allow
    > users to change the files, that was that, but i find i can't get
    > access to docs and settings, unless i right click that and give it its
    > own share, then i find when i go into the docs and setting folder, i
    > have to do that on each individual folder. same with program files and
    > the windows folder. i am wondering if there is a global setting that
    > can be turned on, or something getting disabled for ease? or and 3rd
    > party software that can automate the process easy for me. i have 3
    > machines i would like to do this on.

    This is because you apparently have XP Home and is the way Home is
    designed. If you need better control over sharing/permissions, upgrade
    to Pro or put files that need to be shared into the Shared Documents
    folder.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Mar 7, 2005
  5. I don't have XP Home, I'm on XP Pro with SP2. I don't want the shared
    folder, I would like the whole drives on every machine (3 of them) to be
    accessable on every other machine. with no permission errors, the machines
    are mine, all the files are all mine, I want to be able to access them from
    all the machines.

    Kardon Coupé, Mar 7, 2005
  6. Kardon Coupé

    Malke Guest

    Kardon Coupé wrote:

    > I don't have XP Home, I'm on XP Pro with SP2. I don't want the shared
    > folder, I would like the whole drives on every machine (3 of them) to
    > be accessable on every other machine. with no permission errors, the
    > machines are mine, all the files are all mine, I want to be able to
    > access them from all the machines.
    >

    > "Malke" <> wrote in message
    >> Kardon Coupé wrote:
    >>
    >>> What your saying about permissions is what im trying to acheive, i
    >>> am logging in as admin, and as far as i was aware if i right click
    >>> on the c drive, and choose sharing and security, share the drive and
    >>> allow users to change the files, that was that, but i find i can't
    >>> get access to docs and settings, unless i right click that and give
    >>> it its own share, then i find when i go into the docs and setting
    >>> folder, i have to do that on each individual folder. same with
    >>> program files and the windows folder. i am wondering if there is a
    >>> global setting that can be turned on, or something getting disabled
    >>> for ease? or and 3rd party software that can automate the process
    >>> easy for me. i have 3 machines i would like to do this on.

    Do you have Simple Sharing turned off? Check in Folder Options>Views. I
    have XP Pro boxen and don't have any problems sharing anything I want
    on them, so I suspect you still have Simple Sharing on.

    Malke
    Malke, Mar 8, 2005
  7. Originally was on, but I turned if off, and still the problem.

    Kardon Coupé, Mar 8, 2005
  8. Kardon Coupé

    Malke Guest

    Kardon Coupé wrote:

    > Originally was on, but I turned if off, and still the problem.
    >
    > "Malke" <> wrote in message
    >> Kardon Coupé wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't have XP Home, I'm on XP Pro with SP2. I don't want the
    >>> shared folder, I would like the whole drives on every machine (3 of
    >>> them) to be accessable on every other machine. with no permission
    >>> errors, the machines are mine, all the files are all mine, I want to
    >>> be able to access them from all the machines.
    >>>

    >>> "Malke" <> wrote in message

    >> Do you have Simple Sharing turned off? Check in Folder Options>Views.
    >> I have XP Pro boxen and don't have any problems sharing anything I
    >> want on them, so I suspect you still have Simple Sharing on.

    Then I'm sorry, but I don't know. I haven't seen the problem you are
    describing on any of my 5 Windows XP Pro boxen. That doesn't invalidate
    your experience, of course. Perhaps posting in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web might get you more answers since
    this doesn't really have much to do with wireless that I can tell.

    Good luck and sorry I wasn't able to help you.

    Malke
    Malke, Mar 8, 2005