    cannot do because I have no scanner.

    I just want to disable the process permanently from Windows xp.

    Thank you.
    Lorenzo 1950, Feb 11, 2008

  2. Lorenzo 1950

    Lorenzo 1950 Guest

    I discovered this tonight that it is a process running in the background and
    not necessarily a missing file as I had originally thought.
    When I used Task Manager to end the process the dialog box disappeared.
    I also ran Belarc Advisor that lead me to more HP files to delete but it did
    no good. It seems to be a process not a file.
    Lorenzo 1950, Feb 11, 2008

  3. Lorenzo 1950

    PeeCee Guest

    "Lorenzo 1950" <lhale1950@............> wrote in message
    > In Windows 98 there was a way to stop a process from running in the
    > background by unchecking it.
    >
    > For some reason HPScanjetSetup is running even though I have deleted the
    > files and given away my scanner.
    >
    > I receive a dialog box on startup asking me to setup HPScanner which I
    > cannot do because I have no scanner.
    >
    > I just want to disable the process permanently from Windows xp.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Lorenzo

    Uninstall all HP printer and scanner software from Add/Remove programs.
    Download 'Autoruns' from Microsoft and using this untick/delelte all
    references to HP.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
    Reinstall any HP printer/Scanner you are continuing to use.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Feb 11, 2008
  4. Lorenzo 1950

    Guest

    "Lorenzo 1950" <lhale1950@............> wrote:

    >I discovered this tonight that it is a process running in the background and
    >not necessarily a missing file as I had originally thought.
    >When I used Task Manager to end the process the dialog box disappeared.
    >I also ran Belarc Advisor that lead me to more HP files to delete but it did
    >no good. It seems to be a process not a file.

    Use Process Explorer instead of Belarc Advisor
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

    You would want to edit your system.ini and/or win.ini to stop HP from

    Get The Whole Thing
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/45773/get_the_whole_thing/
    , Feb 11, 2008
  5. Lorenzo 1950 wrote:

    > I discovered this tonight that it is a process running in the background
    > and not necessarily a missing file as I had originally thought.
    > When I used Task Manager to end the process the dialog box disappeared.
    > I also ran Belarc Advisor that lead me to more HP files to delete but it
    > did no good. It seems to be a process not a file.

    msconfig is your friend.
    Make sure you tick the checkbox to hide microsoft services before disabling
    others, or you may seriously f*ck up your system.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 11, 2008
  6. Lorenzo 1950

    Lorenzo 1950 Guest

    Thank you all. I used msconfig disabling only the processes I did not need.
    I want to try some of the other suggestions to make sure I have deleted
    everything relating to HP Scanner.
    The next time I will not buy a HP scanner if it leaves behind soi many
    unnecessary files.

    Lorenzo 1950, Feb 11, 2008
  7. Lorenzo 1950

    PeeCee Guest

    "Lorenzo 1950" <lhale1950@............> wrote in message
    snip

    > The next time I will not buy a HP scanner if it leaves behind soi many
    > unnecessary files.

    snip

    Yes HP are particularly bad at that, but they don't have that fault on their
    own.
    Best story is to do a restore point before installing anything.

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Feb 13, 2008
  8. PeeCee wrote:

    > Yes HP are particularly bad at that, but they don't have that fault on
    > their own.
    > Best story is to do a restore point before installing anything.

    Unfortunately, restore points rarely ever stick for a year or longer (with
    the hope, the devices in question last at least that long) :)
    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 13, 2008