Perils Of Apt-Listbugs

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 14, 2010.

  1. Being a user of Debian Unstable, I found this apt-listbugs package a while
    back. When you do a system upgrade, it ferrets through the Debian bugtracker
    and lists important-looking bugs relevant to the packages being upgraded,
    giving you the option to “pin†those packages.

    See, I thought “pinning†meant “leave them at the currently-installed
    versionsâ€. But last night, that’s not what happened. There was a bug in the
    newest Perl package, so I said pin that. But it turns out Perl is needed as
    a dependency of the kernel package. But instead of leaving my kernel at the
    last-installed version, it actually removed it.

    Similarly, there was a Konqueror bug. But in pinning that, it removed my KDE
    installation.

    Of course, it was easy enough to notice all this happening, and put back the
    missing packages. Turns out most of the bugs listed were not really relevant
    to me anyway.

    Interesting what you discover about your system in the process: I had nearly
    half a gigabyte of dependencies pulled in just as result of installing one
    package: docbook-utils. Most of them seemed to be to do with TEX.

    One nice new thing: the new DKMS setup automatically keeps the proprietary
    NVidia driver in sync with the kernel, it seems I no longer need to execute
    those couple of extra manual steps to (re)build it myself.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 14, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    > Similarly, there was a Konqueror bug. But in pinning that, it removed
    > my KDE installation.

    That's *good*, isn't it? All that wasted space reclaimed!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Jun 14, 2010