    the upgraded DX10 specifics.

    What ya' all say?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 19, 2006

  2. I believe that is correct information in so far as DX10 but I wouldn't worry
    about a card being useless. DX10 will support the earlier versions.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 19, 2006

  3. Tony Sperling

    Yak64 Guest

    Just a thought - would they be able to write DX-10 at all if at least
    *some* of the current crop wasn't able todo DX-10 things?

    I don't expect my nv6200 to work mind...

    Yak64, Aug 19, 2006
  4. Tony Sperling

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Current cards will work fine with DX10 installed. They won't be able to use
    any new DX10 specific features. For instance, DirectX 9 added the pixel
    shader 2.0 effect, which requires hardware support for applications to use
    it. (I don't really know what is new in DX10.)

    I guess it's up to developers to decide which hardware features they want to
    require for apps or games to run, regardless of the version of DirectX. You
    should be able to install DX10 and run applications that use new featuers in
    the DX10 API, and everything should fine as long as the application does not
    use any new DX10 features that require new hardware support.

    This is just my understanding of things, I don't really call myself an
    expert. I might be wrong. :p

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Aug 19, 2006
  5. To get the most from DX10 the card's hardware will have to meet DX10
    specifications.

    There will be software emulation, at a price in system resources, so that at
    least cards with DX9 hardware can run DX10. Cards which have DX8 and earlier
    hardware may not be able to run DX10 well or at all.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 19, 2006
  6. Pixel shader 3 if I remember right.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 20, 2006
  7. Alright, more or less all of you managed to confirm my own suspicions. I
    assume we may prepare for at least the major selling point of DX10 to be
    missing and remain un-upgradeable from the old crop, the older the crop -
    the more will be missing!

    At least, I am very glad that I didn't rush out and invest in two dual core
    cards for a new SLI enabled system. A new version of DX wouldn't necessarily
    have allerted my attention, although it should have.

    Thanks, lads!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 20, 2006