  1. If i have e.g. a c1720 and a c7200 interconnected by dual E1, is there a way
    to measure the bandwidth, throughput or similar using some integrated tools?

    tia.

    Matthias Gruber, Aug 9, 2006

  2. Matthias Gruber

    Guest

    Matthias Gruber wrote:
    > If i have e.g. a c1720 and a c7200 interconnected by dual E1, is there a way
    > to measure the bandwidth, throughput or similar using some integrated tools?

    If by intergated you mean built in to IOS then you have two options.

    1.
    Use the extended ping.

    ping x.x.x.x size 20000 repeat 1000000

    Use more than one telnet session to create as many pings
    as you need until the throughput stops increasing as you
    add sessions.

    load-interval 30 is your friend.

    The 1720 may or may not be able to saturate the links. You
    may find that you get more bang for your buck by originating
    from one end or the other.

    2.
    Enterprise software I believe incorporates ttcp.

    3.
    There may be something useful in SAA but I doubt it.
    Service Assurance Agent.

    , Aug 9, 2006

  3. Matthias Gruber

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Matthias Gruber wrote:
    > > If i have e.g. a c1720 and a c7200 interconnected by dual E1, is there a way
    > > to measure the bandwidth, throughput or similar using some integrated tools?

    I'd guess that with those platforms you'll get 4Mbps, with a maximum of
    2Mbps for any single stream of data, but that depends on exactly which
    7200 variant you have and how it's configured.

    > If by intergated you mean built in to IOS then you have two options.
    >
    > 1.
    > Use the extended ping.
    >
    > ping x.x.x.x size 20000 repeat 1000000
    >
    > Use more than one telnet session to create as many pings
    > as you need until the throughput stops increasing as you
    > add sessions.
    >
    > load-interval 30 is your friend.
    >

    > The 1720 may or may not be able to saturate the links. You
    > may find that you get more bang for your buck by originating
    > from one end or the other.

    Better yet, use systems beyond the routers at each end - I don't know
    the performance of the 1720, and the OP doesn't say which model and NPE
    is in the 7200, but routers are built to forward a lot more traffic than
    they can generate or respond too.

    Sam

    Sam Wilson, Aug 17, 2006