    that an older server is faster than the new one despite their comments.

    Thanks,

    - Bill E.
    Bill Evans, Jan 23, 2008

  2. First, some clarity - when you say listing folder contents is slow, could
    you tell me where you observe that? On the server console in Explorer? Or
    from a network share?

    If it's the second, then we need to know what OS's we're dealing with here
    on both the client and the server side of the equation. (I have my
    hunches...)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 24, 2008

  3. Bill Evans

    Bill Evans Guest

    Charlie, thank you for your post.

    I am sorry that I wasn't more clear. The server OS is Windows 2003 R2 x64
    (Intel) Enterprise Edition - SP2. The clients are all Windows XP SP2. The
    problem occurs when listing the contents of the home directory folders on the
    file server. Each group in the organization has its own folder. Each folder
    has 100-350 folders in it, one for each users home folder. When listing
    these folders through Windows Explorer, whether the console or from a network
    share, it takes 10 seconds to 45 seconds to list the contents. Sometimes it
    "times out" and does not list anything. We did not have this problem with
    the old file server on the same physical network and connections.

    Please help!

    Bill Evans, Jan 24, 2008
  4. Hi
    I guess , you can help Carlos clarifying "
    >When listing
    > these folders through Windows Explorer, whether the console or from a
    > network
    > share"

    regards jk
    Juergen Kluth, Jan 24, 2008
  5. First, and foremost, open regedit, and navigate to:

    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

    Set the following parameters to false (a value of 0)

    EnableRSS
    EnableTCPA
    EnableTCPChimney

    Personally, I also set "DisableDHCPMediaSense" to a value of 1.

    If there's a network connection that it's having to time out on, this may
    well be the source of the issue.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 24, 2008
  6. Bill Evans

    Bill Evans Guest

    Charlie, thank you again for posting.

    I have set the three settings you mentioned to 0 on the servers registry.
    The DisableDHCPMediaSense is not there so I could not set that. Do I need to
    reboot for this to take effect? What exactly will this do?

    Thanks,

    - Bill E.

    Bill Evans, Jan 24, 2008
  7. Yes, you need to reboot.

    This will turn off some of the advanced performance tuning features of the
    NICs that don't work well with some networks. The result can be a big time
    delay when explorer opens, as it needs to get some network information.

    Not sure it's applicable in your case, but it's been a definite source of
    issues for some, and won't do you any good with XP clients anyway.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 24, 2008