    cpu with 64bit cpu?

    Microsoft tells me this in the "details" section of the performance rating
    thing. Why is it telling me this?
    =?Utf-8?B?THVrZSBFd2luZw==?=, Sep 10, 2006

  2. It means you can run a 64-bit OS if you so choose.
    --
    http://adacosta.live.spaces.com

    Andre Da Costa, Sep 10, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?THVrZSBFd2luZw==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    If you are 64-bit compatible, you can run a 64-bit OS (i.e. Windows XP x64
    or Vista x64). It also means you have a 64-bit CPU.

    64-bit CPUs include Athlon 64s, Pentium 4 / Pentium D CPUs with the EMT64
    extensions, and the new Core 2s, among others.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Sep 10, 2006
  4. Thanks for your help.. I'm one step closer to figuring out the problem. :)
    Do you think Vista has a bug with my processor? My processor is, and I quote
    from the label on the front of my box, an AMD Sempron 3200+
    I KNOW that is my processor because I bought this brand new from Best Buy,
    and I have not changed the processor.

    =?Utf-8?B?THVrZSBFd2luZw==?=, Sep 10, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?THVrZSBFd2luZw==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Socket AM2 Semrpon 3200+'s are 64-bit capable. Also, Socket 939 Sempron
    3200+ with model number SDA3200DIO3BW is 64-bit capable. Do you have one of
    these?

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Sep 10, 2006
  6. Well, I tried looking around at AMD's site, and some documentation seemed to
    mention 64 bit -
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/31805.pdf

    I was confused bc i was never told this was 64bit, so I looked for a test
    thing and found one through a forum -
    http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/Default.aspx

    I entered AMD Sempron, and 3200+ into the boxes, and it came up and said
    that I am socket AM2! I also checked each of the 3 items that came up, and
    they all said that this processor is 32/64 operating mode.

    Now, my question is: is this a true 64bit processor? Or is it a limited
    64bit? Will my speed go down if I use a 64bit version of Windows? (all this
    time, I've been using a 32bit edition of Windows) Why was this fact of it
    being 64bit not told to me and why is it not publicized? You would think that
    if it were true 64bit, that it would boost sales if they told us.

    Once again, thanks for your help. - luke

    =?Utf-8?B?THVrZSBFd2luZw==?=, Sep 10, 2006
  7. I have never heard of a limited 64bit system. Where did you hear of such a
    thing?

    Speed of the processor will be the same whether you run an x86 or x64 OS.
    Performance under an x64 OS will be the same for some things and better for
    others. You do not lose on performance under x64. What you got was a 64bit
    computer with a 32bit operating system installed. Nothing more. It is your
    option whether to run an x86 OS or an x64 OS or both on such a machine.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 11, 2006
  8. I'm sorry. Let me clarify myself. By limited, I mean like a cheap 64bit that
    isn't as good as a processor that is normally advertised as 64bit. I mean,
    the model name doesn't even have 64 in it!

    =?Utf-8?B?THVrZSBFd2luZw==?=, Sep 11, 2006
  9. 64bit capable Semprons don't.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 11, 2006
  10. Before you decide whether to run a 64bit OS, might I suggest you read the
    whitepaper at:

    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc
    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 11, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?THVrZSBFd2luZw==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I'm not exactly sure what the differences are between the Sempron and Athlon
    CPUs, but, my understanding is that it is a CPU from the "cheaper" line
    anyway, so it may be not as "good as a processor that is normally advertised
    as 64bit" but that would be the same if you were running in 32-bit mode
    anyway.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Sep 11, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?THVrZSBFd2luZw==?=

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Download and install Everest. You can buy it for $30 if you like it, but
    you can run it as a trial for free. It will tell you what CPU you have and
    it's socket type, your RAM and it's speed, your motherboard, everything. I
    use it on a regular basis.

    http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=3&lang=en

    Hope that helps,
    -Larry