Performance or Value RAM?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by FingAZ, Jan 9, 2005.

  1. FingAZ

    FingAZ Guest

    I'm looking at spending around £100 tops on some RAM- I currently have some
    cheapo 512mb PC2700 (333Mhz), but its gone flaky- get BSoD far too much for
    my liking :) switched temporarily to some Kingston stuff my brothers got and
    alls well, but I need my own. The board is capable of 400Mhz and considering
    I have an AthlonXP 3200+ im guessing its almost 100% defo worth going for a
    400mhz stick of ram- for system stability at least.

    My question is do I;
    a) buy 2x 512mb Value crap at PC3200 (400mhz) (total 1GB)
    or
    b) buy 1x 512 Corsair Kickarse mo-foin fantastic PC3200 (total 512MB)?

    I mainly use the comp for gaming- especially counterstrike and half-life 2
    atm, but I also do a fair amount of video/pic editing and tonnes of web
    surfing :)
    So what's better? Speed or Amount?

    Thanks in advance,
    FingAZ.

    FingAZ, Jan 9, 2005

  2. FingAZ

    Parko Guest

    FingAZ wrote:
    > I'm looking at spending around £100 tops on some RAM- I currently have some
    > cheapo 512mb PC2700 (333Mhz), but its gone flaky- get BSoD far too much for
    > my liking :) switched temporarily to some Kingston stuff my brothers got and
    > alls well, but I need my own. The board is capable of 400Mhz and considering
    > I have an AthlonXP 3200+ im guessing its almost 100% defo worth going for a
    > 400mhz stick of ram- for system stability at least.
    >
    > My question is do I;
    > a) buy 2x 512mb Value crap at PC3200 (400mhz) (total 1GB)
    > or
    > b) buy 1x 512 Corsair Kickarse mo-foin fantastic PC3200 (total 512MB)?
    >
    > I mainly use the comp for gaming- especially counterstrike and half-life 2
    > atm, but I also do a fair amount of video/pic editing and tonnes of web
    > surfing :)
    > So what's better? Speed or Amount?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > FingAZ.

    IMHO Kingston PC3200. IGb. Dual channel, if your board supports that
    kind of stuff. I use the Windows side of the Gruntmaster5000 for gaming,
    Linux side for pic editing etc. Handles UT2004, Doom 3 without a hitch.
    40Mg, multi-layer piccies with script-fu going on, it says gimme more.
    I've never once had to use the swap/page file. Which reminds me, I
    should get around to installing Counter Strike...

    --
    Parko
    Fragging aliens since the days of Defender.

    Parko, Jan 10, 2005

  3. FingAZ

    Timberwolf Guest

    "FingAZ" <darren*rem0ve*> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at spending around £100 tops on some RAM- I currently have
    > some
    > cheapo 512mb PC2700 (333Mhz), but its gone flaky- get BSoD far too much
    > for
    > my liking :) switched temporarily to some Kingston stuff my brothers got
    > and
    > alls well, but I need my own. The board is capable of 400Mhz and
    > considering
    > I have an AthlonXP 3200+ im guessing its almost 100% defo worth going for
    > 400mhz stick of ram- for system stability at least.
    >
    > My question is do I;
    > a) buy 2x 512mb Value crap at PC3200 (400mhz) (total 1GB)
    > or
    > b) buy 1x 512 Corsair Kickarse mo-foin fantastic PC3200 (total 512MB)?
    >
    > I mainly use the comp for gaming- especially counterstrike and half-life 2
    > atm, but I also do a fair amount of video/pic editing and tonnes of web
    > surfing :)
    > So what's better? Speed or Amount?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > FingAZ.

    Check out your board spec first---although you say it is capable of using
    400--there are loads of variations.
    i would check out
    http://www.crucial.com/

    In theory the 400 will be faster than the 333,yes 1gb will be faster
    than512.The bitch is the more ram you give a system the more it will use.
    If you are a gamer---go get the best graphics card you can afford,that is
    where the performance lies,then throw in as much ram as you can get as
    secondary

    Timberwolf, Jan 10, 2005