    less.....

    regards

    Thing
    thing, May 25, 2009

  2. thing

    AD. Guest

    On May 25, 2:56 pm, thing <> wrote:
    > So is it me or does the performance of these small NAS boxes really
    > suck? They are small, but they are expensive and they dont seem to run
    > very fast....certainly the d-link one is a joke....on a gig link no
    > less.....

    It's not just you. Even the pricey ones still suck.

    At work we got a sweet not for resale deal on a 4 drive ReadyNAS a
    while back. Everything about it is really cool - except for the awful
    CPU performance.

    It was running a SPARC version of Debian Sarge underneath the web
    interface. You could ssh in and apt-get practically anything you
    wanted.

    We planned to use it as a rsync based backup server. While the
    standard NFS/SMB/FTP stuff was just plain slow, the CPU load of rsync
    brought it to its knees.

    They since brought out a 6 disk unit with an Intel core2 CPU which
    should perform a lot better - but last time I looked it was
    horrendously expensive.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., May 25, 2009

  3. thing

    J Brockley Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message
    > So is it me or does the performance of these small NAS boxes really
    > suck? They are small, but they are expensive and they dont seem to run
    > very fast....certainly the d-link one is a joke....on a gig link no
    > less.....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Probably right as the d-link's only fast enough for a 200 meg link but since
    that doesn't exist 1 gig it has to be.
    Still faster than your typical company network but not scalable as more than
    one user will slow it down.
    J Brockley, May 25, 2009
  4. thing

    Richard Guest

    thing wrote:
    > So is it me or does the performance of these small NAS boxes really
    > suck? They are small, but they are expensive and they dont seem to run
    > very fast....certainly the d-link one is a joke....on a gig link no
    > less.....

    Not just you, I have being suitibly unimpressed with the couple I have
    tried.

    Worst had to be the netgear toaster one - that was so slow that it was
    practically faster to burn stuff to DVD...
    Richard, May 25, 2009
  5. thing

    PeeCee Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message
    > So is it me or does the performance of these small NAS boxes really
    > suck? They are small, but they are expensive and they dont seem to run
    > very fast....certainly the d-link one is a joke....on a gig link no
    > less.....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I've tried 3 so far

    Netgear Storage Central:
    Slow, needs software to work (ie not native NAS) but reliable.
    Still in use as my main backup.

    Linksys NAS 200:
    Bad buy this one, slow and very flakey, though I suspect the flakeyness is
    tied to heat as it starts of OK then goes flakey on big file transfers (size
    and / or number)
    Warranty return couldn't fault it (bugger)
    Native NAS
    Back in it's box under the bench, might get it out one day and try heat
    sinking the CPU.

    ACE Agestar aka Jaycar XC4677:
    Slowish as NAS, good as USB drive, reliability depends on environment.
    (power ?)
    One I installed as NAS kept locking up overnight but now works A1 connected
    via USB.
    Another NAS connected one seems to be running fine.
    Does have a built in restart timer (daily, or any particlar day of the week)
    Needs SATA drives strapped back to SATA 1 speed.

    (Slow means in comparison to almost any PC on a 100Mbit LAN.)

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, May 25, 2009
  6. thing

    Malcolm Guest

    On Tue, 26 May 2009 10:55:55 +1200
    "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    <snip>
    > Linksys NAS 200:
    > Bad buy this one, slow and very flakey, though I suspect the
    > flakeyness is tied to heat as it starts of OK then goes flakey on big
    > file transfers (size and / or number)
    > Warranty return couldn't fault it (bugger)
    > Native NAS
    > Back in it's box under the bench, might get it out one day and try
    > heat sinking the CPU.

    <snip>
    Hi
    I've got a NAS200 here, works ok (even on large file transfers) the
    processor is way powerful at 50 bogomips lol But I did upgrade the
    firmware to this;

    <http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60636>

    If you don't need the media server disable it, I only enable if I'm
    going to stream something to the xbox360.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.21-0.1-pae
    Malcolm, May 26, 2009
  7. thing

    PeeCee Guest

    "Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 May 2009 10:55:55 +1200
    > "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >> Linksys NAS 200:
    >> Bad buy this one, slow and very flakey, though I suspect the
    >> flakeyness is tied to heat as it starts of OK then goes flakey on big
    >> file transfers (size and / or number)
    >> Warranty return couldn't fault it (bugger)
    >> Native NAS
    >> Back in it's box under the bench, might get it out one day and try
    >> heat sinking the CPU.

    > <snip>
    > Hi
    > I've got a NAS200 here, works ok (even on large file transfers) the
    > processor is way powerful at 50 bogomips lol But I did upgrade the
    > firmware to this;
    >
    > <http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60636>
    >
    > If you don't need the media server disable it, I only enable if I'm
    > going to stream something to the xbox360.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    > openSUSE 11.1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.21-0.1-pae
    > up 4 days 19:59, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.26, 0.28
    > ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME

    Malcom

    Thanks for the heads up but I've already done the firmware update/upgrade,
    and turning off any media servers is the first thing I do with these boxes.

    mmm just had another thought, I wonder if the NAS200 needs SATA II drives
    strapped back to SATA I like the Jaycar does mmmmmmm!

    Thanks again
    Paul.
    PeeCee, May 26, 2009
  8. thing

    Malcolm Guest

    On Tue, 26 May 2009 11:48:24 +1200
    "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    > "Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 26 May 2009 10:55:55 +1200
    > > "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >> Linksys NAS 200:
    > >> Bad buy this one, slow and very flakey, though I suspect the
    > >> flakeyness is tied to heat as it starts of OK then goes flakey on
    > >> big file transfers (size and / or number)
    > >> Warranty return couldn't fault it (bugger)
    > >> Native NAS
    > >> Back in it's box under the bench, might get it out one day and try
    > >> heat sinking the CPU.

    > > <snip>
    > > Hi
    > > I've got a NAS200 here, works ok (even on large file transfers) the
    > > processor is way powerful at 50 bogomips lol But I did upgrade the
    > > firmware to this;
    > >
    > > <http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60636>
    > >
    > > If you don't need the media server disable it, I only enable if I'm
    > > going to stream something to the xbox360.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    > > openSUSE 11.1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.21-0.1-pae
    > > up 4 days 19:59, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.26, 0.28
    > > ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME
    > >

    > Malcom
    >
    > Thanks for the heads up but I've already done the firmware
    > update/upgrade, and turning off any media servers is the first thing
    > I do with these boxes.
    >
    > mmm just had another thought, I wonder if the NAS200 needs SATA II
    > drives strapped back to SATA I like the Jaycar does mmmmmmm!
    >
    > Thanks again
    > Paul.

    Hi
    Hmmm, never did that. I'm running a couple of 250GB SATAII drives in
    mirror config. It is slow though on initial config and if your
    transferring a lot of data at the start.

    But now it's in use it doesn't seem too bad. For US$100.00 here it's
    doing what I need, plus the ability to connect an external drive for a
    backup of the data is good for enough for me ;)

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.21-0.1-pae
    up 4 days 23:06, 1 user, load average: 0.52, 0.39, 0.27
    ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME
    Malcolm, May 26, 2009
  9. thing

    PeeCee Guest

    "Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 May 2009 11:48:24 +1200
    > "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    >> > On Tue, 26 May 2009 10:55:55 +1200
    >> > "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > <snip>
    >> > <snip>
    >> > Hi
    >> > I've got a NAS200 here, works ok (even on large file transfers) the
    >> > processor is way powerful at 50 bogomips lol But I did upgrade the
    >> > firmware to this;
    >> >
    >> > <http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60636>
    >> >
    >> > If you don't need the media server disable it, I only enable if I'm
    >> > going to stream something to the xbox360.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    >> > openSUSE 11.1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.21-0.1-pae
    >> > up 4 days 19:59, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.26, 0.28
    >> > ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME
    >> >

    >> Malcom
    >>
    >> Thanks for the heads up but I've already done the firmware
    >> update/upgrade, and turning off any media servers is the first thing
    >> I do with these boxes.
    >>
    >> mmm just had another thought, I wonder if the NAS200 needs SATA II
    >> drives strapped back to SATA I like the Jaycar does mmmmmmm!
    >>
    >> Thanks again
    >> Paul.
    >>

    > Hi
    > Hmmm, never did that. I'm running a couple of 250GB SATAII drives in
    > mirror config. It is slow though on initial config and if your
    > transferring a lot of data at the start.
    >
    > But now it's in use it doesn't seem too bad. For US$100.00 here it's
    > doing what I need, plus the ability to connect an external drive for a
    > backup of the data is good for enough for me ;)
    >
    > --
    > Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    > openSUSE 11.1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.21-0.1-pae
    > up 4 days 23:06, 1 user, load average: 0.52, 0.39, 0.27
    > ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME

    Hi again Malcolm

    It was when I was doing those initial backups that it gave me the problems.
    I have something like 250GB to backup so the NAS200 was going to run for
    some hours given it's slow LAN speed.
    Well it never ran for 'hours' as invariably a few 10's of GB into the backup
    it would lockup.
    Only fix was to totaly power off by turning off the AC mains, it certainly
    wouldn't turn off by the power switch on the back panel.
    This is what makes me wonder if it's heat related.

    The frustrating thing is the dealer had it running for some 2 weeks in their
    workshop, using it as a general backup box for hard drive images, and they
    just could not break it.

    Maybe I can find someone with lighter backup needs I can flog it off to.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, May 26, 2009
  10. thing

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Allistar wrote:
    > If you want a fast way to do a backup to an external drive that you
    > can take off site, you can get a 1>2Tb external drive with an eSATA
    > connection for little cash. Blazingly fast speed (although the one I
    > just bought didn't actually come with an eSATA cable, so I backed up
    > >300Gb over Firewire. Ouch.)

    Sounds painful. I've just fitted two more of these to my desktop:

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=372808

    Full SATA speed and you can remove the drive in seconds.

    (BTW, ignore the writing on that page, it's all wrong, wasn't like that a
    couple days ago when I ordered them. Just look at the picture.)

    I have four of those bays in my desktop now, the bay that holds my boot
    drive is locked, all the others can hold various drives at different times.
    Great idea IMO.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 26, 2009
  11. thing

    Bobs Guest

    On May 26, 10:07 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Allistar wrote:
    >
    > > If you want a fast way to do a backup to an external drive that you
    > > can take off site, you can get a 1>2Tb external drive with an eSATA
    > > connection for little cash. Blazingly fast speed (although the one I
    > > just bought didn't actually come with an eSATA cable, so I backed up
    > > >300Gb over Firewire. Ouch.)

    > Sounds painful. I've just fitted two more of these to my desktop:
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=372808
    >
    > Full SATA speed and you can remove the drive in seconds.
    >
    > (BTW, ignore the writing on that page, it's all wrong, wasn't like that a
    > couple days ago when I ordered them. Just look at the picture.)
    >
    > I have four of those bays in my desktop now, the bay that holds my boot
    > drive is locked, all the others can hold various drives at different times.
    > Great idea IMO.
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > "Build a man a fire, and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and
    > he`ll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett, Jingo.

    That looks cool. There are also hard drive docks with e-sata which are
    apparently excellent

    http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=8680

    Got that exact model at work, but it doesn't come with an e-sata cable
    dammit.
    Bobs, May 29, 2009
  12. thing

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bobs wrote:
    > On May 26, 10:07 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Allistar wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you want a fast way to do a backup to an external drive that you
    >>> can take off site, you can get a 1>2Tb external drive with an eSATA
    >>> connection for little cash. Blazingly fast speed (although the one I
    >>> just bought didn't actually come with an eSATA cable, so I backed up

    >> Sounds painful. I've just fitted two more of these to my desktop:
    >>
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=372808
    >>
    >> Full SATA speed and you can remove the drive in seconds.
    >>
    >> (BTW, ignore the writing on that page, it's all wrong, wasn't like
    >> that a couple days ago when I ordered them. Just look at the
    >> picture.)
    >>
    >> I have four of those bays in my desktop now, the bay that holds my
    >> boot drive is locked, all the others can hold various drives at
    >> different times. Great idea IMO.

    > That looks cool.

    Yeah, they work really well, full speed SATA 2 and hot-swapable.

    > There are also hard drive docks with e-sata which are
    > apparently excellent

    I have a couple that are eSATA and USB and have included 6 port powered USB
    hubs. I've not tried the eSATA side of them even though my desktop has two
    eSATA ports, as I have the hot-swap docks. I use them on my laptops.

    > http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=8680
    >
    > Got that exact model at work, but it doesn't come with an e-sata cable
    > dammit.

    I have the same beast, sans eSATA, connected to my Philips DVP3252 DVD
    player so I can play avis / mp3s directly from HDD. I got the Vantec
    straight USB version as I knew it worked with the Philips whereas the USB /
    eSATA ones don't.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.