    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |
    A lie can travel halfway around the world
    while the truth is putting on its shoes.-Mark Twain

    Collector»NZ, Nov 3, 2004

  2. Collector»NZ

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Well after all the talk on here I decided to check it out for myself.
    >
    > I reset the data on both NIN and Orcon and downloaded the spools.
    >
    > Orcon had a higher retention and when the NIN spool was compared to the
    > matching Orcon spool appeared to have not dropped any messages.
    >
    > The speed of download was identical (limited by my connection speed)
    >
    > Propergation speed when posting via NIN and Orcon where almost identical.
    >
    > All in all I would say Craig as done a fair bit of tweaking since this
    > is a big improvement on my observations of several days ago.

    If thats the case, it would explain why the Help Desk is now telling me
    that there are no problems with the news service. Maybe they haven't
    twigged onto the fact that my "complaint" is now a month old, despite
    the fact they are treating it like it's "current"

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 3, 2004

  3. Collector»NZ

    EMB Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Well after all the talk on here I decided to check it out for myself.

    Holy crap batman, it even propogates to the ihug server! :)

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 4, 2004
  4. Collector»NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Well after all the talk on here I decided to check it out for myself.
    >
    > I reset the data on both NIN and Orcon and downloaded the spools.
    >
    > Orcon had a higher retention and when the NIN spool was compared to
    > the matching Orcon spool appeared to have not dropped any messages.
    >
    > The speed of download was identical (limited by my connection speed)
    >
    > Propergation speed when posting via NIN and Orcon where almost
    > identical.
    >
    > All in all I would say Craig as done a fair bit of tweaking since this
    > is a big improvement on my observations of several days ago.

    Thanks for that. I may actually set it up again and check it against NIN.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 4, 2004
  5. Collector»NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> Well after all the talk on here I decided to check it out for myself.
    >>
    >> I reset the data on both NIN and Orcon and downloaded the spools.
    >>
    >> Orcon had a higher retention and when the NIN spool was compared to
    >> the matching Orcon spool appeared to have not dropped any messages.
    >>
    >> The speed of download was identical (limited by my connection speed)
    >>
    >> Propergation speed when posting via NIN and Orcon where almost
    >> identical.
    >>
    >> All in all I would say Craig as done a fair bit of tweaking since
    >> this is a big improvement on my observations of several days ago.

    > Thanks for that. I may actually set it up again and check it against
    > NIN.

    Or not. My finace is using the Orcon server and she was just trying to
    download her groups and kept getting the dreaded "Server has not responded
    for xxx" message. After clicking 'wait' for a half hour she gave up and did
    something else.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 4, 2004