    program is to be preferred?

    --
    Thanks in advance, Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Jul 12, 2008

  2. Nico Schuyt

    jc Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > I did some testing with Flycryptor and Truecrypt.
    > Flycryptor is very easy to use but seems to be a lot slower than Truecrypt.
    > For example: copying 616MB text files took:
    > 32 seconds without encryption
    > 35 seconds inside of a Truecrypt container
    > 45 seconds in a Fycryptor container
    > I'm not completely sure about the significance (though the results were the
    > same on repetition): a search on a text phrase in 6,000 e-mails (OE) took
    > about as long in Flycryptor as without encryption.
    >
    > Has anyone experience with both programs and/or a general advice what
    > program is to be preferred?

    FlyCryptor is propriatory while TrueCrypt is open source. TrueCrypt code
    is available for inspection, particularly the algorithms it uses for
    encryption. FlyCryptor has to be taken at face value.

    jc

    jc, Jul 12, 2008

  3. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    jc wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> I did some testing with Flycryptor and Truecrypt.
    >> Flycryptor is very easy to use but seems to be a lot slower than
    >> Truecrypt. For example: copying 616MB text files took:
    >> 32 seconds without encryption
    >> 35 seconds inside of a Truecrypt container
    >> 45 seconds in a Fycryptor container
    >> I'm not completely sure about the significance (though the results
    >> were the same on repetition): a search on a text phrase in 6,000
    >> e-mails (OE) took about as long in Flycryptor as without encryption.
    >>
    >> Has anyone experience with both programs and/or a general advice what
    >> program is to be preferred?

    > FlyCryptor is propriatory while TrueCrypt is open source. TrueCrypt
    > code is available for inspection, particularly the algorithms it uses
    > for encryption. FlyCryptor has to be taken at face value.

    That makes sense. Advantage of the FlyCryptor however is its easy handling
    (for a price of $100 however)
    Thanks for your reaction!

    --
    Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Jul 12, 2008
  4. Nico Schuyt

    jc Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > jc wrote:
    >> Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >>> I did some testing with Flycryptor and Truecrypt.
    >>> Flycryptor is very easy to use but seems to be a lot slower than
    >>> Truecrypt. For example: copying 616MB text files took:
    >>> 32 seconds without encryption
    >>> 35 seconds inside of a Truecrypt container
    >>> 45 seconds in a Fycryptor container
    >>> I'm not completely sure about the significance (though the results
    >>> were the same on repetition): a search on a text phrase in 6,000
    >>> e-mails (OE) took about as long in Flycryptor as without encryption.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone experience with both programs and/or a general advice what
    >>> program is to be preferred?

    >> FlyCryptor is propriatory while TrueCrypt is open source. TrueCrypt
    >> code is available for inspection, particularly the algorithms it uses
    >> for encryption. FlyCryptor has to be taken at face value.

    > That makes sense. Advantage of the FlyCryptor however is its easy handling
    > (for a price of $100 however)
    > Thanks for your reaction!

    If a nice UI is more important than security and scrutiny go ahead and
    put your money down.

    jc

    jc, Jul 12, 2008
  5. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    jc wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> jc wrote:

    >>> FlyCryptor is propriatory while TrueCrypt is open source. TrueCrypt
    >>> code is available for inspection, particularly the algorithms it
    >>> uses for encryption. FlyCryptor has to be taken at face value.

    >> That makes sense. Advantage of the FlyCryptor however is its easy
    >> handling (for a price of $100 however)
    >> Thanks for your reaction!

    > If a nice UI is more important than security and scrutiny go ahead and
    > put your money down.

    A combination of quality and easy handling is even better :)
    It took me hours to find out how to work with Tuecrypt on PC, USB drive and
    external HDD. That costs money too.

    --
    Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Jul 13, 2008