    Or is 150 quite normal for an idling system?

    Thanks.
    Katowski
    Katowski, Dec 21, 2003

  2. Katowski

    Katowski Guest

    Katowski wrote:

    > I'm preparing for the Win2k pro exam. So I was playing with Perfmon to
    > get my feet wet, I fired up Processor/Interrupts/sec, and - well, I'm
    > having 150 on average, and no program is running! :X
    >
    > How do I find out which device it is that is flooding the cpu with
    > interrupts? I am wondering if it may be the harddisk.
    >
    > Or is 150 quite normal for an idling system?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Katowski

    Hmm, when I have set the graph in perfmon to be between 0 to 100, in
    graphview, the graph appears to be at about 1. I'm abit confused here,
    it is saying approx 150,000 in average, but appears to be 1 on the graph.

    Does this mean that 150,000 = 1,5 interrupts a sec? And 1500,000 is 15
    interrupts a sec?

    The book I'm currently reading is saying that anything over 15 on
    average is an alarm sounding. 15 on the graph or 15 in the average box?
    Katowski, Dec 21, 2003

  3. Katowski

    PvdZ Guest

    Dear Katowski

    If you press the explain button while you add this counter you see:

    Interrupts/sec is the average rate, in incidents per second, at which the
    processor received and serviced hardware interrupts. It does not include
    deferred procedure calls (DPCs), which are counted separately. This value is
    an indirect indicator of the activity of devices that generate interrupts,
    such as the system clock, the mouse, disk drivers, data communication lines,
    network interface cards, and other peripheral devices. These devices
    normally interrupt the processor when they have completed a task or require
    attention. Normal thread execution is suspended. The system clock typically
    interrupts the processor every 10 milliseconds, creating a background of
    interrupt activity. This counter displays the difference between the values
    observed in the last two samples, divided by the duration of the sample
    interval.

    So if the clock alone is already giving 100 interrupts per sec I thing 150
    for an idle system is not that high.

    Regards,
    Peter van der Zwan MCSA 2000

    PvdZ, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Katowski

    Katowski Guest

    PvdZ wrote:
    > Dear Katowski
    >
    > If you press the explain button while you add this counter you see:
    >
    > Interrupts/sec is the average rate, in incidents per second, at which the
    > processor received and serviced hardware interrupts. It does not include
    > deferred procedure calls (DPCs), which are counted separately. This value is
    > an indirect indicator of the activity of devices that generate interrupts,
    > such as the system clock, the mouse, disk drivers, data communication lines,
    > network interface cards, and other peripheral devices. These devices
    > normally interrupt the processor when they have completed a task or require
    > attention. Normal thread execution is suspended. The system clock typically
    > interrupts the processor every 10 milliseconds, creating a background of
    > interrupt activity. This counter displays the difference between the values
    > observed in the last two samples, divided by the duration of the sample
    > interval.
    >
    > So if the clock alone is already giving 100 interrupts per sec I thing 150
    > for an idle system is not that high.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Peter van der Zwan MCSA 2000
    >

    > "Katowski" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm preparing for the Win2k pro exam. So I was playing with Perfmon to
    >>get my feet wet, I fired up Processor/Interrupts/sec, and - well, I'm
    >>having 150 on average, and no program is running! :X
    >>
    >>How do I find out which device it is that is flooding the cpu with
    >>interrupts? I am wondering if it may be the harddisk.
    >>
    >>Or is 150 quite normal for an idling system?
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>Katowski

    You are right. I also pushed the explain button :) The book I'm reading
    "Win2k Pro for Dummies" said that for this counter, anything above 15 is
    bad, so I jumped when I saw 150 :) I see now that the book is wrong, I
    think, he must have ment the %Time Interrupt instead of Interrupts/Sec.
    At %Time Interrupts it's much lower, at about 0.5 in average. :)
    Katowski, Dec 23, 2003