    answers question 1?

    Thanks.

    Christian M. Netter

    Chris, Apr 14, 2004

  2. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I'm mostly interested in number of hub-ports vs. number of switch-ports out
    there. In this context, switch shall include layer 2 and 3 managed and
    unmanaged.

    Chris.

    > In article <gwgfc.324$>,
    > Chris <> wrote:
    > :Question 1: Overall, do switched ethernet networks dominate non-switched
    > :ethernet networks? (I'm assuming YES)
    >
    > 'dominate' in what sense? Number of ports? Number of units sold?
    > Number of models available? Annual sales? Total bandwidth? Efficiency?
    > Latency? And in what market are we talking about?
    >

    > :Question 2: Does anybody know where I could find some quantitative data

    that

    Walter Roberson, Apr 14, 2004
  4. In article <x6ifc.361$>,
    Chris <> top-posted:
    :I'm mostly interested in number of hub-ports vs. number of switch-ports out
    :there. In this context, switch shall include layer 2 and 3 managed and
    :unmanaged.

    What about 'fibre channel hub'?

    In any case, there are organizations that sell this kind of
    information. For example,

    http://techlibrary.banktech.com/data/rlist?t=pd_10_30_10_20_10&orgtypegrp=ANALYST
    --
    Studies show that the average reader ignores 106% of all statistics
    they see in .signatures.

    Walter Roberson, Apr 14, 2004
  5. Chris wrote:

    > I'm mostly interested in number of hub-ports vs. number of switch-ports out
    > there. In this context, switch shall include layer 2 and 3 managed and
    > unmanaged.

    (snip)

    Active ports only, or all ports?

    There may be many 24 port repeaters with only a few ports used.

    Do you also count repeaters sitting in surplus shops?

    -- glen

    glen herrmannsfeldt, Apr 14, 2004
  6. Chris

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in

    > I'm mostly interested in number of hub-ports vs. number of
    > switch-ports out there. In this context, switch shall include layer 2
    > and 3 managed and unmanaged.

    Home networks? Business networks?

    A lot of home networks are now switched, and that's a lot of ports! : )

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Apr 14, 2004
  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    To further clarify this:

    I'm mostly interested in number of ACTIVE hub-ports vs. number of ACTIVE
    switch-ports out
    there. In this context, switch shall include layer 2 and 3 managed and
    unmanaged. I am mostly
    interested in office/business environments (including small businesses)
    public environments like
    hospitals & schools and government buildings.

    We have a distributed system, consisting of between 1 and hundreds of
    devices (on average 40 devices)
    all streaming data at a rate of 2Mbit/sec each to 1 or more servers. If I
    can make the assumption that most
    networks out there are switched, than I believe I don't have much of a
    bandwidth problem.

    Does CISCO have any information like this on their website? Basically, I
    believe switched networks
    are today the norm, rather than an exception, and I need to convince my
    manager.

    Chris.

    Chris, Apr 15, 2004
  8. "Chris" <> wrote:
    >We have a distributed system, consisting of between 1 and hundreds of
    >devices (on average 40 devices)
    >all streaming data at a rate of 2Mbit/sec each to 1 or more servers. If I
    >can make the assumption that most
    >networks out there are switched, than I believe I don't have much of a
    >bandwidth problem.

    Well, that's a business decision, I've got clients with unswitched
    10MB hubs, but they probably aren't your market. If you can make the
    assumption that your customers will willingly upgrade their
    infrastructure if it doesn't meet the needs of your app, then you are
    golden. Just put it in the requirements section of your datasheet.

    --
    William Smith

    William P.N. Smith, Apr 15, 2004
  9. Chris

    shope Guest

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "Chris" <> wrote:
    > >We have a distributed system, consisting of between 1 and hundreds of
    > >devices (on average 40 devices)
    > >all streaming data at a rate of 2Mbit/sec each to 1 or more servers. If I
    > >can make the assumption that most
    > >networks out there are switched, than I believe I don't have much of a
    > >bandwidth problem.

    many new campuses are designed on the assumption that most or all packets
    they carry are IP, so can be routed within a LAN environment - if you use
    another protocol then that may be a problem for bigger sites.

    And bandwidth cost is not a major issue so long as the app doesnt get used
    across a WAN - when the cost of bandwidth goes up by a factor of 1000 or
    more, people get a bit more concerned about "efficiency".

    --
    Regards

    shope, Apr 15, 2004