    joevan Guest

    Are they any good. I don't know if I trust them with deals.
    Especially since they are for my daughters car.
    joevan, Jul 28, 2010

  2. joevan

    Mike Easter Guest

    joevan wrote:
    Subject: Pep boys and tire deals
    > Are they any good. I don't know if I trust them with deals.
    > Especially since they are for my daughters car.

    She's doing the shopping or you are doing the shopping? - you mean your
    concern is (primarily) for her health and safety or (primarily) for her
    problem with/ ability to/ finding the right/best deal?

    When I'm shopping for tires, I compare a lot of places, including
    Costco. The last tires I bought were at costco. I've never bought
    tires at Pep Boys - but I go there for other automotive things sometimes.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 28, 2010

  3. joevan

    M.L. Guest

    >Are they any good. I don't know if I trust them with deals.
    >Especially since they are for my daughters car.

    The PepBoys in my (Chicago) area are known for engaging in
    bait-and-switch tactics and for recommending dubious add-on services.
    Make sure to stick to a tire purchase only. You'll definitely overpay
    for things like tire balancing. Walmart is a better option if you're
    not interested in high-end tires.
    M.L., Jul 28, 2010
  4. joevan

    chuckcar Guest

    joevan <> wrote in

    > Are they any good. I don't know if I trust them with deals.
    > Especially since they are for my daughters car.

    I don't know, does GM make a good car of any sort? Surely you must
    realize that what you say depends entirely on the francise, who happens
    to be sick there and exactly who's working on your car that day. Such
    blanket statements are always far too specific generalizations to ever
    be true.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 28, 2010
  5. joevan

    Buffalo Guest

    philo wrote:
    > On 07/28/2010 01:24 PM, Evan Platt wrote:

    >>> They are probably good
    >>>

    >>> In my collection I have a vacuum tube that was test *good* by the
    >>> Pep Boys in 1934
    >>>
    >>> it's still good!

    >> Slight difference between tires and a vacuum tube. :)

    > yes
    >
    > one is filled with air

    [skip]
    > the other with vacuum !!!!

    'Filled' with a 'vacuum'? Hmmmm
    Buffalo
    Buffalo, Jul 28, 2010
  6. joevan

    Buffalo Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:22:38 -0500, philo <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 07/28/2010 12:46 PM, joevan wrote:
    >>> Are they any good. I don't know if I trust them with deals.
    >>> Especially since they are for my daughters car.

    >> They are probably good
    >>

    >> In my collection I have a vacuum tube that was test *good* by the Pep
    >> Boys in 1934
    >>
    >> it's still good!

    > Slight difference between tires and a vacuum tube. :)

    One big difference is that rubbers will fit on many vacuum tubes well, but
    not so well on tires. :)
    Buffalo
    Buffalo, Jul 28, 2010
  7. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:14:33 -0500, philo <> wrote:

    >On 07/28/2010 05:53 PM, Buffalo wrote:
    >> philo wrote:

    >>> yes
    >>>
    >>> one is filled with air

    >> [skip]
    >>> the other with vacuum !!!!

    >> 'Filled' with a 'vacuum'? Hmmmm
    >> Buffalo
    >>

    >Yes , filled with a vacuum
    >
    >it's kind of neat that I have a little time capsule
    >which contains a vacuum, the way they existed back in 1934.
    >

    >The worst thing that ever happened to me was I was holding a vacuum
    >in a bell jar, and some vandal stole the contents of it.
    >
    >sheesh
    >

    >I had my laboratory guarded pretty well
    >but it was evidently a professional thief who performed his dastardly
    >deed as if there were nothing to it !

    Why shucks, I have 6 vacuum tubes big uns too. In a home built radio
    that was built in 1919. I have the big old cone speaker that also
    works. I had it working once on a little 6 volt tape recorder. I was
    told if I had the wet cell batteries I could listen to the 1920s. All
    true except I would be listening to today's radio on a real old one.
    Still sounds funny but truth is stranger than fiction I have heard.
    joevan, Jul 29, 2010
  8. joevan

    Buffalo Guest

    philo wrote:
    > On 07/28/2010 05:53 PM, Buffalo wrote:
    >> philo wrote:

    >>> yes
    >>>
    >>> one is filled with air

    >> [skip]
    >>> the other with vacuum !!!!

    >> 'Filled' with a 'vacuum'? Hmmmm
    >> Buffalo
    >>

    > Yes , filled with a vacuum
    >
    > it's kind of neat that I have a little time capsule
    > which contains a vacuum, the way they existed back in 1934.
    >

    > The worst thing that ever happened to me was I was holding a vacuum
    > in a bell jar, and some vandal stole the contents of it.
    >
    > sheesh
    >

    > I had my laboratory guarded pretty well
    > but it was evidently a professional thief who performed his dastardly
    > deed as if there were nothing to it !

    What color was it?
    :)
    Buffalo
    Buffalo, Jul 29, 2010
  9. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:22:32 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:

    >>> Yes , filled with a vacuum
    >>>
    >>> it's kind of neat that I have a little time capsule
    >>> which contains a vacuum, the way they existed back in 1934.
    >>>

    >>> The worst thing that ever happened to me was I was holding a vacuum
    >>> in a bell jar, and some vandal stole the contents of it.
    >>>
    >>> sheesh
    >>>

    >>> I had my laboratory guarded pretty well
    >>> but it was evidently a professional thief who performed his dastardly
    >>> deed as if there were nothing to it !

    >> What color was it?
    >> :)
    >> Buffalo
    >>

    >I don't know what color it was
    >
    >but it smelled like an odorless gas!

    Something totally unlike Rts' farts then.
    joevan, Jul 29, 2010
  10. joevan

    Buffalo Guest

    joevan wrote:

    >>> What color was it?
    >>> :)
    >>> Buffalo
    >>>

    >> I don't know what color it was
    >>
    >> but it smelled like an odorless gas!
    >>

    > Something totally unlike Rts' farts then.

    If you fart in a vacuum, then it will not be a vacuum (at least a total
    vacuum).
    Buffalo
    Buffalo, Jul 29, 2010
  11. joevan

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:46:01 -0400, joevan wrote:

    > Are they any good. I don't know if I trust them with deals. Especially
    > since they are for my daughters car.

    Do you think they will put defective tires on your daughter's cars?
    Meat Plow, Jul 29, 2010
  12. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:43:43 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:46:01 -0400, joevan wrote:
    >
    >> Are they any good. I don't know if I trust them with deals. Especially
    >> since they are for my daughters car.

    >Do you think they will put defective tires on your daughter's cars?

    I think it may be possible for some scum to be a cheat.
    joevan, Jul 29, 2010
  13. joevan

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:52:55 -0400, joevan wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:43:43 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:46:01 -0400, joevan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are they any good. I don't know if I trust them with deals.
    >>> Especially since they are for my daughters car.

    >>Do you think they will put defective tires on your daughter's cars?

    > I think it may be possible for some scum to be a cheat.

    So you consider Pep Boys, a nationally advertised company to be cheating
    scum?
    Meat Plow, Jul 29, 2010
  14. joevan

    NotMe Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:46:01 -0400, joevan wrote:
    >
    >> Are they any good. I don't know if I trust them with deals. Especially
    >> since they are for my daughters car.

    > Do you think they will put defective tires on your daughter's cars?

    There is a distinct possibility that an unscrupulous manager will sell tires
    that are out of data aka subject to dry rot or make a recommendation based
    on what they have been instructed to push market.

    Good example is one of the major brands is pushing high fuel efficency tires
    which they are what they don't tell you is the other performance factors
    such as lack of control and stopping performance is the trade off.

    Recall you get what you inspect not what you expect.
    NotMe, Jul 29, 2010
  15. joevan <> via

    > Are they any good. I don't know if I trust them with
    > deals. Especially since they are for my daughters car.

    You must first decide if you'd rather your family
    be on those standard round tires, or the ones that
    always go downhill.

    While the gas-milage savings can be considerable, your
    daughters should think about safety and speed, and not
    being dectected by the red-light-radar cams which are
    being secretely put up to track our habits.

    Pep Boys tried to sell me some new shock absorbers for
    my old pickup truck. I found that I could do the same
    thing by making a cushion by duct-taping some bubble-wrap.

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and I'm not talking to the aliens

    Bucky Breeder, Jul 29, 2010
  16. joevan

    olfart Guest

    "Bucky Breeder" <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out>
    wrote in message >
    <snip>
    > Pep Boys tried to sell me some new shock absorbers for
    > my old pickup truck. I found that I could do the same
    > thing by making a cushion by duct-taping some bubble-wrap.
    >
    > HTH.
    >
    > --

    bet the popping noise drives you nuts on a bumpy road. Recycled breast
    implants are quieter....and smoother too
    olfart, Jul 29, 2010
  17. joevan

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:17:41 -0500, NotMe wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:46:01 -0400, joevan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are they any good. I don't know if I trust them with deals.
    >>> Especially since they are for my daughters car.

    >> Do you think they will put defective tires on your daughter's cars?

    > There is a distinct possibility that an unscrupulous manager will sell
    > tires that are out of data aka subject to dry rot or make a
    > recommendation based on what they have been instructed to push market.

    I think the possibility of a well recognized national brand name in Pep
    Boys is doing this is not a distinct possibility but rather highly
    unlikely.

    > Good example is one of the major brands is pushing high fuel efficency
    > tires which they are what they don't tell you is the other performance
    > factors such as lack of control and stopping performance is the trade
    > off.

    Got some specifics as in who is pushing this and what they are pushing?

    > Recall you get what you inspect not what you expect.

    I bought a set of off brand SUV tires from a local back in 2007.
    Best fucking tires I've ever put on a vehicle and I've owned Goodyear, BF
    Goodrich and Michelin. I knew nothing about this brand but told the
    dealer I wanted a low-priced 16x235 highway tread tires that had a long
    life, weren't noisy and rode well. I got exactly what I asked for and 30k
    miles later I still have another 30k of tread left. I was told these
    tires are made by Dayton and were $80 each. That's $55 per tire less than
    the other brand names previously mentioned.
    Meat Plow, Jul 29, 2010
  18. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 20:08:13 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:17:41 -0500, NotMe wrote:
    >
    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> Do you think they will put defective tires on your daughter's cars?

    >> There is a distinct possibility that an unscrupulous manager will sell
    >> tires that are out of data aka subject to dry rot or make a
    >> recommendation based on what they have been instructed to push market.

    >I think the possibility of a well recognized national brand name in Pep
    >Boys is doing this is not a distinct possibility but rather highly
    >unlikely.
    >
    >> Good example is one of the major brands is pushing high fuel efficency
    >> tires which they are what they don't tell you is the other performance
    >> factors such as lack of control and stopping performance is the trade
    >> off.

    >Got some specifics as in who is pushing this and what they are pushing?
    >
    >> Recall you get what you inspect not what you expect.

    >I bought a set of off brand SUV tires from a local back in 2007.
    >Best fucking tires I've ever put on a vehicle and I've owned Goodyear, BF
    >Goodrich and Michelin. I knew nothing about this brand but told the
    >dealer I wanted a low-priced 16x235 highway tread tires that had a long
    >life, weren't noisy and rode well. I got exactly what I asked for and 30k
    >miles later I still have another 30k of tread left. I was told these
    >tires are made by Dayton and were $80 each. That's $55 per tire less than
    >the other brand names previously mentioned.

    I had Dayton extra heavy duty 16 inch tires on my old 57 land rover. I
    think they are still on it and doing fine. I left it in Maine when the
    wife passed as well as a lot of other stuff. I bought it in 67 or so,
    and used it for 20 years with those tires still going. It wasn't used
    a lot most years as it was a second car except for one year when I
    worked at a big museum in Delaware. I remember one of the scientists
    saying about the rover, driving a bit harder and it wasn't as
    comfortable as his 70 Chevy van. Thing was though I bet that van is
    not around anymore but the 57 Rover is.
    joevan, Jul 29, 2010
  19. olfart <> via

    > "Bucky Breeder" <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name
    > _Don't.wear.it.out> wrote in message
    >
    > <snip>
    >> Pep Boys tried to sell me some new shock absorbers for
    >> my old pickup truck. I found that I could do the same
    >> thing by making a cushion by duct-taping some bubble-wrap.
    >>
    >> HTH.
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    > bet the popping noise drives you nuts on a bumpy road.

    If you put enough layers together, you doesn't have any
    popping whatsoever, unless you're shagging your date in
    the parking lot and she still has her high-heels on...
    that's been sort of a glitch... but thank goodness the
    UPS guy eventually drops-off another package to the rescue!

    > Recycled breast implants are quieter....and smoother too

    Awesomely-Excellent idea!

    I think they'd make such good airbags too, but the peoples
    (and by "the peoples" I mean especially me) would be gettin'
    into wrecks all the time on purpose. Shoot... I'd just
    probably run into a couple of fence posts on the way to my
    GF's house, sort of like gettin' some foreplay before gettin'
    down to the foreplay. Gettin' slapped in the face by breast
    implants - oh yeah, I sense yet another 12-step program coming
    for the Oprah show on the loomin' horizon!

    Airbags... who was even the genius that came up with that one?
    You have to be in a wreck before you ever get the benefit...
    Why not just hang a few breast implants from the ceiling and
    stick 'em on the sides and dash, so you can even have the
    benefit when riding on one of those bumpy roads, like Alabama,
    or other 3rd-world countries. There's an idea that could have
    saved the US auto industry -- way before they jetsam'ed Pontiac.

    Yes, I miss the GTOs and Firebirds. Alas. <sighs>

    HTH.

    Bucky Breeder, Jul 30, 2010