    and they ignore you.

    Anyone else have this experience?

    , Nov 7, 2005

  2. Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > Although most people probably have broadband, for those dial-up
    > people, here's a note about PeoplePC interent service:
    >
    > You put their installation CD into your computer, and the first thing
    > it asks is that you "turn off both your firewall and anti-virus
    > programs, as it may interfere with the installation". Ok, but then it
    > immediately dials up your PC to the interent (to complete the set-up).
    > Gee! Just that brief registration/set-up time leaves your PC
    > unprotected.
    >
    > Try calling them to complain, and you are on hold forever. Email them,
    > and they ignore you.
    >
    > Anyone else have this experience?

    Get over it.

    1) I never turn off the AV for this kind of setup
    2) you are connecting for a very brief time to only ONE web site - theirs. I
    doubt they want to send you malicious software: it would be bad for their
    business.

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2005

  3. Evan Platt Guest

    On 7 Nov 2005 07:09:42 -0800, wrote:

    >Although most people probably have broadband, for those dial-up people,
    >here's a note about PeoplePC interent service:
    >
    >You put their installation CD into your computer, and the first thing
    >it asks is that you "turn off both your firewall and anti-virus
    >programs, as it may interfere with the installation". Ok, but then it
    >immediately dials up your PC to the interent (to complete the set-up).
    >Gee! Just that brief registration/set-up time leaves your PC
    >unprotected.
    >
    >Try calling them to complain, and you are on hold forever. Email them,
    >and they ignore you.
    >
    >Anyone else have this experience?

    With so many firewall applications out there, and so many anti-virus
    programs, I don't blame them.

    I do support for wireless service at hotels, and when we see a user
    has a firewall, and we can't get them to get to our registration page,
    disabling the firewall is needed. And 9 times out of 10 solves the
    problem.

    Evan Platt, Nov 7, 2005
  4. Guest

    Thanks for the replies. I just haven't seen that precaution (about
    turning off the firewall and anti-virus) from any other internet
    provider when installing. Good answers, and I thank you.

    , Nov 7, 2005
  5. Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-11-07, <> wrote:
    > Although most people probably have broadband, for those dial-up people,
    > here's a note about PeoplePC interent service:
    >
    > You put their installation CD into your computer, and the first thing
    > it asks is that you "turn off both your firewall and anti-virus
    > programs, as it may interfere with the installation". Ok, but then it
    > immediately dials up your PC to the interent (to complete the set-up).
    > Gee! Just that brief registration/set-up time leaves your PC
    > unprotected.
    >
    > Try calling them to complain, and you are on hold forever. Email them,
    > and they ignore you.
    >
    > Anyone else have this experience?

    Why do you need an installation CD? It should be possible to set up the
    necessary 'things' manually from information published on their website or
    in e-mail or letter sent to you when you set up the account. If an ISP
    demands that you use their 'special software', use a different ISP.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 7, 2005
  6. Guest

    > Why do you need an installation CD? It should be possible to set up the
    > necessary 'things' manually from information published on their website or
    > in e-mail or letter sent to you when you set up the account. If an ISP
    > demands that you use their 'special software', use a different ISP.
    >
    > --
    > -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    > -- Whiskers

    Hi Whiskers;

    Well, if you download a simple setup directly off the internet, it's
    just enough to get you online with their service. But it's minimal, and
    everytime you sign off (for several sessions) it wants/needs to
    download additional features. The CD gives you most of what you need
    already. Just easier to get it all (or most all) right at installation.

    Good point though! It sure would be safer than having to disable the
    firewall and anti-virus!

    , Nov 7, 2005
  7. Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-11-07, <> wrote:
    >> Why do you need an installation CD? It should be possible to set up the
    >> necessary 'things' manually from information published on their website or
    >> in e-mail or letter sent to you when you set up the account. If an ISP
    >> demands that you use their 'special software', use a different ISP.

    > Hi Whiskers;
    >
    > Well, if you download a simple setup directly off the internet, it's
    > just enough to get you online with their service. But it's minimal, and
    > everytime you sign off (for several sessions) it wants/needs to
    > download additional features. The CD gives you most of what you need
    > already. Just easier to get it all (or most all) right at installation.
    >
    > Good point though! It sure would be safer than having to disable the
    > firewall and anti-virus!

    I would hesitate to let an ISP install any software on a computer of mine;
    at the very least, make sure you understand exactly what it is they want to
    install, and why, and if you don't want it you shouldn't accept it.

    All you /need/ is to know the telephone number, user-name, and password,
    for your dialler, and possibly the DNS server IP numbers; if you also want
    to use their e-mail or newsgroup servers then you will need to know the
    appropriate server URLs and possibly the 'port numbers' and user-name and
    password if required.

    Anything else is un-necessary - although having a server-side e-mail virus
    and spam blocker is useful (but keep your own running and up-to-date too!),
    and if you want to see 'images' on all the web sites you visit but are happy
    to have them degraded so as to speed up the loading of pages slightly, then
    "accelerated" web browsing might be of interest (although it's a lot more
    effective to disable images and plugins in your browser - and that costs
    nothing).

    I understand that you may need to disable 'anti-virus' programs while
    installing software, but you should never do that while on-line.

    I'm guessing that you are moving away from AOL; try to make a move all the
    way to a real ISP <G> - I'm sure they have those in your area (I'm on a
    different continent ...).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 7, 2005
  8. None Guest

    Whiskers wrote:

    > Why do you need an installation CD? It should be possible to set up
    > the necessary 'things' manually from information published on their
    > website or in e-mail or letter sent to you when you set up the
    > account. If an ISP demands that you use their 'special software',
    > use a different ISP.

    I agree that DUN should be enough, but....

    .... the majority of free ISPs require an installed front end. Many
    cheap ones do too, such as peoplepc.

    That condition prevents them from being usable for any OS for which they
    don't provide a front end. In the case of peoplepc, their software is
    only for W95-XP, no macs, /n/x, etc.

    The useful websites for comparing free and cheap ISP features include a
    column for the characteristic of whether DUN alone is necessary to
    access.

    Peoplepc also charges $2/min for tel support for anything besides
    signup/installation or billing problems, and of course doesn't provide
    news. They do have both web and popmail, some webspace, online & email
    help, and US nationwide access.

    --
    Mike Easter

    None, Nov 7, 2005
  9. Mike Easter Guest

    None wrote:

    Oops. That was me, screwing around with the newsreader configuration.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 7, 2005
  10. Guest

    Hey, thanks Mike! You sure do know a lot. I appreciate you sharing this
    knowledge, as it more than answers all my questions and concerns. Many
    thanks!

    , Nov 7, 2005
  11. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > Hey, thanks Mike! You sure do know a lot. I appreciate you sharing
    > this knowledge, as it more than answers all my questions and
    > concerns. Many thanks!

    Peoplepc at $5/mo introductory is not a bad deal, but $10/mo for vanilla
    or $15/mo for accelerated isn't such a hot deal for something that you
    also have to install a frontend for.

    I don't know about peoplepc's frontend, but a lot of frontend stuff has
    a very bad reputation. Peoplepc's bigsister EarthLink has some
    troublesome effects with their TotalAccess frontend, and it is possible
    EL's TA & ppc's may be closely kin or even the same. AOL's frontend has
    a severely notorious bad rep for 'ensconcing' itself so badly or tightly
    into the system that it takes a guru to successfully completely remove
    it and purge all its residual harmful effects for future 'normal' usage
    of the DUN dialup networking.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 7, 2005
  12. On 7 Nov 2005 07:09:42 -0800, wrote:

    >Although most people probably have broadband, for those dial-up people,
    >here's a note about PeoplePC interent service:
    >
    >You put their installation CD into your computer, and the first thing
    >it asks is that you "turn off both your firewall and anti-virus
    >programs, as it may interfere with the installation". Ok, but then it
    >immediately dials up your PC to the interent (to complete the set-up).
    >Gee! Just that brief registration/set-up time leaves your PC
    >unprotected.
    >
    >Try calling them to complain, and you are on hold forever. Email them,
    >and they ignore you.
    >
    >Anyone else have this experience?

    Beaware of installed rootkits by various companies these days.

    click here for more info
    http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/rootkitrevealer.html

    DO NOT PLAY SONY CDS. They will hurt your registry

    unluckylanding, Nov 7, 2005
  13. elaich Guest

    wrote in news:1131376182.619901.285610
    @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Although most people probably have broadband, for those dial-up people,
    > here's a note about PeoplePC interent service:
    >
    > You put their installation CD into your computer, and the first thing
    > it asks is that you "turn off both your firewall and anti-virus
    > programs, as it may interfere with the installation". Ok, but then it
    > immediately dials up your PC to the interent (to complete the set-up).
    > Gee! Just that brief registration/set-up time leaves your PC
    > unprotected.
    >
    > Try calling them to complain, and you are on hold forever. Email them,
    > and they ignore you.
    >
    > Anyone else have this experience?

    I've heard it speculated that their bartshel.exe may be spyware. I got
    rid of them and use Netscape now. They will still let you connect to
    their local phone lines without using their dialer or toolbar. PeoplePC
    doesn't.

    elaich, Nov 8, 2005
  14. Duane Arnold Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > wrote:
    >> Although most people probably have broadband, for those dial-up
    >> people, here's a note about PeoplePC interent service:
    >>
    >> You put their installation CD into your computer, and the first thing
    >> it asks is that you "turn off both your firewall and anti-virus
    >> programs, as it may interfere with the installation". Ok, but then it
    >> immediately dials up your PC to the interent (to complete the
    >> set-up). Gee! Just that brief registration/set-up time leaves your PC
    >> unprotected.
    >>
    >> Try calling them to complain, and you are on hold forever. Email
    >> them, and they ignore you.
    >>
    >> Anyone else have this experience?

    > Get over it.
    >
    > 1) I never turn off the AV for this kind of setup
    > 2) you are connecting for a very brief time to only ONE web site -
    > theirs. I doubt they want to send you malicious software: it would be
    > bad for their business.

    It doesn't take a machine but a second or less to be compormised with a
    wide open MS O/S machine on the Internet.

    I used PeoplePC for a brief moment and dumped them because thay didn't
    have NG servers. I was on the phone with them a little bit and didn't
    have a problem with service. Although they didn't know about NG(s) or a
    NG server when it came down to it, they were right on top of my phone
    calls. <g>

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 8, 2005
  15. Mellowed Guest

    Also, when you have your ID and Password, you don't even have to use
    their software. Just use the Windows dialer and your finished.

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    : On 2005-11-07, <> wrote:
    : > Although most people probably have broadband, for those dial-up
    people,
    : > here's a note about PeoplePC interent service:
    : >
    :
    : Why do you need an installation CD? It should be possible to set up
    the
    : necessary 'things' manually from information published on their
    website or
    : in e-mail or letter sent to you when you set up the account. If an
    ISP
    : demands that you use their 'special software', use a different ISP.
    :
    : --
    : -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    : -- Whiskers
    : -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    Mellowed, Nov 8, 2005
  16. Mellowed Guest

    cheap ones do too, such as peoplepc. <<<<

    Not true. You can use the Windows DUN directly without any Peoplepc
    software.

    "None" <> wrote in message
    :

    Mellowed, Nov 8, 2005
  17. Mellowed Guest

    Not true! You can take all of their stuff off and just use DUN.

    Mellowed, Nov 8, 2005
  18. Mellowed Guest

    Peoplepc supports 25,000 NG's.

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    : "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    : news:rCKbf.2462$:
    :
    : > wrote:
    : >> Although most people probably have broadband, for those dial-up
    : >> people, here's a note about PeoplePC interent service:
    : >>

    Mellowed, Nov 8, 2005
  19. Duane Arnold Guest

    "Mellowed" <> wrote in news:9HVbf.6634$AS6.2409
    @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > Peoplepc supports 25,000 NG's.

    Tell that to their top Thec Support people. They told me they don't have
    any NG servers that I could connect to and use. And I talked to them about
    this a cople of times.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 8, 2005
  20. elaich Guest

    "Mellowed" <> wrote in news:9HVbf.6633$AS6.1486
    @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > Not true! You can take all of their stuff off and just use DUN.

    Try it. You get redirected to their signup page.

    elaich, Nov 8, 2005