Peoplepc Scumbags

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by atarian999@yahoo.com, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I recently made the mistake of installing the PeoplePC software on my
    system. I was just trying to make a determination if they were right
    for my as my new ISP. ***BIG MISTAKE***! These "people" load you up
    with toolbars, a homepage hijacker, and who knows what else. This is
    done without ever subscribing to their service, with *NO* agreement,
    and without your knowledge!

    After uninstalling everything that even hints that it is PeoplePC's
    malware, I still have their homepage hijacker. I've used Hijack This!
    to remove their BHO, but like Dracula, it keeps rising from it's grave.
    I've installed anti-hijacking programs, but no matter what, once it
    refuses PeoplePC's hijack, it pops right back. (Blah... blah! I vant
    to suck your browser...)

    I'm at wit's end, I haven't been able to find any help in this
    particular problem on the web or on the usenet.

    Please, anybody, help!

    P.S. AVOID PEOPLEPC AT ALL COSTS!
    , Jan 3, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > I recently made the mistake of installing the PeoplePC software on my
    > system. I was just trying to make a determination if they were right
    > for my as my new ISP. ***BIG MISTAKE***! These "people" load you up
    > with toolbars, a homepage hijacker, and who knows what else. This is
    > done without ever subscribing to their service, with *NO* agreement,
    > and without your knowledge!


    You can use peoplepc without their front end once you have your user/pw.
    Use the encoded user/pw with a normal win dialup.

    > After uninstalling everything that even hints that it is PeoplePC's
    > malware, I still have their homepage hijacker. I've used Hijack This!
    > to remove their BHO, but like Dracula, it keeps rising from it's
    > grave. I've installed anti-hijacking programs, but no matter what,
    > once it refuses PeoplePC's hijack, it pops right back. (Blah...
    > blah! I vant to suck your browser...)


    http://www.spyware-removal.com/uninstall-peoplepc.html uninstall
    peoplepc -- people pc dialer and toolbar uninstalling and removal guide

    > I'm at wit's end, I haven't been able to find any help in this
    > particular problem on the web or on the usenet.


    The link has instructions for using the spyware sweeper removal tool or
    for doing it manually* with a registry edit.

    > P.S. AVOID PEOPLEPC AT ALL COSTS!


    * Uninstall Peoplepc step 1: The PeoplePC toolbar is implemented as a
    BHO so first close all running instances of Internet Explorer.
    Uninstall Peoplepc step 2:Open the registry key
    Key_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/
    CurrentVersion/Explorer/Browser Helper Objects
    Uninstall Peoplepc step 3:Delete the key
    '{3DE88907-3E38-11D4-BEB2-CBE76C0598DD}'
    Uninstall Peoplepc step 4: Restart the computer.


    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 3, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Mellowed Guest

    Hummm. That's interesting. I've had Peoplepc for years without any of
    your description. However, I have disable BARTSTATION in MSCONFIG and I
    do not use their dialer. I use the DUN in Windows. Once you have your
    ID and password, you don't need any of their software on your computer.

    Try going into MSCONFIG and unchecking BARTSTATION in Startup. Make
    sure you disable their toolbar in IE. If the above doesn't work, I
    don't have a clue what's going on.


    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    : I recently made the mistake of installing the PeoplePC software on my
    : system. I was just trying to make a determination if they were right
    : for my as my new ISP. ***BIG MISTAKE***! These "people" load you up
    : with toolbars, a homepage hijacker, and who knows what else. This is
    : done without ever subscribing to their service, with *NO* agreement,
    : and without your knowledge!
    :
    : After uninstalling everything that even hints that it is PeoplePC's
    : malware, I still have their homepage hijacker. I've used Hijack This!
    : to remove their BHO, but like Dracula, it keeps rising from it's
    grave.
    : I've installed anti-hijacking programs, but no matter what, once it
    : refuses PeoplePC's hijack, it pops right back. (Blah... blah! I vant
    : to suck your browser...)
    :
    : I'm at wit's end, I haven't been able to find any help in this
    : particular problem on the web or on the usenet.
    :
    : Please, anybody, help!
    :
    : P.S. AVOID PEOPLEPC AT ALL COSTS!
    :
    Mellowed, Jan 3, 2006
    #3
  4. Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > http://www.spyware-removal.com/uninstall-peoplepc.html uninstall
    > peoplepc -- people pc dialer and toolbar uninstalling and removal
    > guide


    > The link has instructions for using the spyware sweeper removal tool
    > or for doing it manually* with a registry edit.


    Be advised to be careful of rogue spyware removal tools or those
    associated with aggressive marketing.

    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm The Spyware
    Warrior List of Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites by Eric
    L. Howes -- Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Products -- Listing Criteria --
    Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Sites

    There is information about spyware-removal.com at Eric's page.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 3, 2006
    #4
  5. DC Guest

    wrote:
    > I recently made the mistake of installing the PeoplePC software on my
    > system. I was just trying to make a determination if they were right
    > for my as my new ISP. ***BIG MISTAKE***! These "people" load you up
    > with toolbars, a homepage hijacker, and who knows what else. This is
    > done without ever subscribing to their service, with *NO* agreement,
    > and without your knowledge!


    > After uninstalling everything that even hints that it is PeoplePC's
    > malware, I still have their homepage hijacker. I've used Hijack This!
    > to remove their BHO, but like Dracula, it keeps rising from it's grave.
    > I've installed anti-hijacking programs, but no matter what, once it
    > refuses PeoplePC's hijack, it pops right back. (Blah... blah! I vant
    > to suck your browser...)


    > I'm at wit's end, I haven't been able to find any help in this
    > particular problem on the web or on the usenet.


    > Please, anybody, help!


    > P.S. AVOID PEOPLEPC AT ALL COSTS!


    Did you even *read* the privacy policy on their web site before you
    signed up? You certainly didn't deserve what you got, but you certainly
    got what you deserved, so to speak.

    http://www.peoplepc.com/online/legals.asp?locid=1&pageid=1

    Personally, I would have stopped reading after the *second* paragraph
    and moved on.

    I did read the whole thing, since you posted about it, and I am
    astonished that people actually prostitute themselves by giving their
    money to these outfits.

    Sucks to be you, bud.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many'
    and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
    DC, Jan 3, 2006
    #5
  6. Mike Easter Guest

    DC wrote:
    > wrote:


    >> These "people" load you up
    >> with toolbars, a homepage hijacker, and who knows what else. This is
    >> done without ever subscribing to their service, with *NO* agreement,
    >> and without your knowledge!


    > Did you even *read* the privacy policy on their web site before you
    > signed up? You certainly didn't deserve what you got, but you
    > certainly got what you deserved, so to speak.
    >
    > http://www.peoplepc.com/online/legals.asp?locid=1&pageid=1
    >
    > Personally, I would have stopped reading after the *second* paragraph
    > and moved on.
    >
    > I did read the whole thing, since you posted about it, and I am
    > astonished that people actually prostitute themselves by giving their
    > money to these outfits.


    I think that people get hooked up with peoplepc to get cheaper
    accelerated dialup connectivity - free x 30d. then $5.47/mo x 3 mo then
    $11/mo x 12 mo and no CC required for service.

    It has some barebones features in addition to the privacy problems,
    since you have to pay for tech support other setup and billing.

    Their other promotional gig is to offer an affiliate program for
    promoting peoplepc Somehow the affiliate gets paid a 'bounty' for the
    referrals who signup.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 3, 2006
    #6
  7. elaich Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in news:43bab926$0$6286$892e7fe2
    @authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

    > You can use peoplepc without their front end once you have your user/pw.
    > Use the encoded user/pw with a normal win dialup.


    Not any more, you can't. That's why I switched from PPC to Netscape.
    Suddenly, trying to directly connect to my local number led me to the PPC
    signup page.
    elaich, Jan 4, 2006
    #7
  8. Mellowed Guest

    If that is the case, why can I connect using only DUN. The people pc
    dialer is totally out of the loop. There must be some other variable
    that was missing in the DUN setup. Also, I'm not using the 'encoded'
    password either. Just a straight logical connection. Nothing else. I
    would also change ISP's if I couldn't connect direct.

    Maybe we can figure out what's different?



    "elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    : "Mike Easter" <> wrote in
    news:43bab926$0$6286$892e7fe2
    : @authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:
    :
    : > You can use peoplepc without their front end once you have your
    user/pw.
    : > Use the encoded user/pw with a normal win dialup.
    :
    : Not any more, you can't. That's why I switched from PPC to Netscape.
    : Suddenly, trying to directly connect to my local number led me to the
    PPC
    : signup page.
    Mellowed, Jan 4, 2006
    #8
  9. Guest

    Alrighty then...
    I solved my problem myself as the following e-mail to the tech support
    people @ PeoplePC. Also, thanks to them for 'trying' to help and my
    apologies for any negative inference I made about their company.

    ------------------------------------------------
    my e-mail response below
    ------------------------------------------------

    Okay, I believe I solved my problem (as outlined
    below). I ran MSCONFIG, clicked the startup tab, and
    found an extraneous Juno .exe file. I clicked it off,
    and voila! No more hijacking.

    So the fault does not lie on you or Juno (somewhat) or
    malware, but the combination of leftover undeleted
    files in my system must have interacted with each
    other to cause the problem.
    This is why I couldn't find anything on the Web about
    this.

    Thank You
    John Collins


    --- John Collins <> wrote:

    > First let me say right off, I've been using the
    > Internet since 1993 and consider myself an
    > intermediate user, but not an expert, otherwise I'd
    > have your job. :)
    >
    > As for changing your homepage using 'Properties', I
    > know how to do that and have done that, over and
    > over
    > again. And it keeps reverting back to...
    >
    > ----- http://home.peoplepc.com/websearch/ -----
    >
    > No matter what I do, it changes back it. That's why
    > I
    > called it a hijacking. It is forever stuck on it.
    > There is something else going on here beyond what I
    > can see.
    >
    > I uninstalled your software, removed all references
    > to
    > PeoplePC in my registry, re-installed PeoplePC,
    > uninstalled it again, remove all registry items
    > again.
    > Ran *Four* different spyware programs /Spybot
    > S&D/1-Click Spy Clean/Yahoo's Anti-Spy/Lavasoft's
    > AdAware-se and used Webroot's online spy cleaner
    > (which, by the way, are all free of malware of their
    > own) and all their results are negative. My
    > anti-virus (Anti-Vir) shows no viruses, trojans,
    > etc.
    > In other words, I have a clean machine... except for
    > the hijacking. The program 'Hijack This' shows this
    > entry...
    > --------------------------------------------
    > R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet
    > Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    > http://home.peoplepc.com/websearch
    > --------------------------------------------
    >
    > I removed this entry using 'Hijack This', clicked on
    > Internet Explorer and changed my start page to
    > 'www.google.com', close IE, reopened IE and *BANG*!
    > The PeoplePC start page re-appears. I load up
    > 'Hijack
    > This' and the aformention registry entry is back
    > again.
    >
    > This entry is the key and there is some kind of
    > process that is keeping this item alive. I need to
    > know what this executable is, (i.e. program or
    > javascript or ????) and what wooden stake I need to
    > kill it.
    >
    > John Collins
    > aka Atarian999
    >
    > --- wrote
    >
    > > Dear PeoplePC Online Member,
    > >
    > > Thank you for writing to PeoplePC Online.
    > >
    > > Regarding your concern, please follow the steps
    > > given below to change the home page:
    > >
    > > 1. Right click on the Internet Explorer icon
    > > 2. Select Properties
    > > 3. On the General tab, you will see HOME PAGE
    > > 4. Delete whatever is there and type the address

    > of
    > > your desired Home Page e.g. home.peoplepc.com
    > > 5. Click on Apply and then click on OK
    > >
    > > Also, mail us what you did and where the procedure
    > > went wrong.
    > >
    > > Thanks again for writing.
    > >
    > > All the best,
    > > Shivank
    > > One of the people at PeoplePC Online
    > >
    > >
    > > ----Original Message----
    > > > From:
    > > > To:
    > > > Subject: Peoplepc has hijacked my homepage

    > > [Ref:3102572]
    > > > Date: 2 January 2006, 22:59 Hrs.
    > > >
    > > > I loaded your software and decided that peoplepc

    > > isn't
    > > > for me. I cancelled the installation and remove

    > > all
    > > > peoplepc programs from my system. Now, my

    > > homepage is
    > > > being hijacked to point to mypeople search page.

    > > I've
    > > > attempted to remove the offending BHO using

    > Hijack
    > > > This! but the BHO keeps coming back.
    > > >
    > > > How do I get rid of this?!?
    > > >
    , Jan 4, 2006
    #9
  10. Mellowed Guest

    Thanks for the update.

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    : Alrighty then...
    : I solved my problem myself as the following e-mail to the tech support
    : people @ PeoplePC. Also, thanks to them for 'trying' to help and my
    : apologies for any negative inference I made about their company.
    :
    : ------------------------------------------------
    : my e-mail response below
    : ------------------------------------------------
    :
    : Okay, I believe I solved my problem (as outlined
    : below). I ran MSCONFIG, clicked the startup tab, and
    : found an extraneous Juno .exe file. I clicked it off,
    : and voila! No more hijacking.
    :
    : So the fault does not lie on you or Juno (somewhat) or
    : malware, but the combination of leftover undeleted
    : files in my system must have interacted with each
    : other to cause the problem.
    : This is why I couldn't find anything on the Web about
    : this.
    :
    : Thank You
    : John Collins
    :
    :
    : --- John Collins <> wrote:
    :
    : > First let me say right off, I've been using the
    : > Internet since 1993 and consider myself an
    : > intermediate user, but not an expert, otherwise I'd
    : > have your job. :)
    : >
    : > As for changing your homepage using 'Properties', I
    : > know how to do that and have done that, over and
    : > over
    : > again. And it keeps reverting back to...
    : >
    : > ----- http://home.peoplepc.com/websearch/ -----
    : >
    : > No matter what I do, it changes back it. That's why
    : > I
    : > called it a hijacking. It is forever stuck on it.
    : > There is something else going on here beyond what I
    : > can see.
    : >
    : > I uninstalled your software, removed all references
    : > to
    : > PeoplePC in my registry, re-installed PeoplePC,
    : > uninstalled it again, remove all registry items
    : > again.
    : > Ran *Four* different spyware programs /Spybot
    : > S&D/1-Click Spy Clean/Yahoo's Anti-Spy/Lavasoft's
    : > AdAware-se and used Webroot's online spy cleaner
    : > (which, by the way, are all free of malware of their
    : > own) and all their results are negative. My
    : > anti-virus (Anti-Vir) shows no viruses, trojans,
    : > etc.
    : > In other words, I have a clean machine... except for
    : > the hijacking. The program 'Hijack This' shows this
    : > entry...
    : > --------------------------------------------
    : > R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet
    : > Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    : > http://home.peoplepc.com/websearch
    : > --------------------------------------------
    : >
    : > I removed this entry using 'Hijack This', clicked on
    : > Internet Explorer and changed my start page to
    : > 'www.google.com', close IE, reopened IE and *BANG*!
    : > The PeoplePC start page re-appears. I load up
    : > 'Hijack
    : > This' and the aformention registry entry is back
    : > again.
    : >
    : > This entry is the key and there is some kind of
    : > process that is keeping this item alive. I need to
    : > know what this executable is, (i.e. program or
    : > javascript or ????) and what wooden stake I need to
    : > kill it.
    : >
    : > John Collins
    : > aka Atarian999
    : >
    : > --- wrote
    : >
    : > > Dear PeoplePC Online Member,
    : > >
    : > > Thank you for writing to PeoplePC Online.
    : > >
    : > > Regarding your concern, please follow the steps
    : > > given below to change the home page:
    : > >
    : > > 1. Right click on the Internet Explorer icon
    : > > 2. Select Properties
    : > > 3. On the General tab, you will see HOME PAGE
    : > > 4. Delete whatever is there and type the address
    : > of
    : > > your desired Home Page e.g. home.peoplepc.com
    : > > 5. Click on Apply and then click on OK
    : > >
    : > > Also, mail us what you did and where the procedure
    : > > went wrong.
    : > >
    : > > Thanks again for writing.
    : > >
    : > > All the best,
    : > > Shivank
    : > > One of the people at PeoplePC Online
    : > >
    : > >
    : > > ----Original Message----
    : > > > From:
    : > > > To:
    : > > > Subject: Peoplepc has hijacked my homepage
    : > > [Ref:3102572]
    : > > > Date: 2 January 2006, 22:59 Hrs.
    : > > >
    : > > > I loaded your software and decided that peoplepc
    : > > isn't
    : > > > for me. I cancelled the installation and remove
    : > > all
    : > > > peoplepc programs from my system. Now, my
    : > > homepage is
    : > > > being hijacked to point to mypeople search page.
    : > > I've
    : > > > attempted to remove the offending BHO using
    : > Hijack
    : > > > This! but the BHO keeps coming back.
    : > > >
    : > > > How do I get rid of this?!?
    : > > >
    :
    Mellowed, Jan 4, 2006
    #10
  11. jam

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    =================================================================
    2011, A DIFFERENT STORY:
    Reading suchlike information on the internet produced no shortage of mental anguish and anxiety...
    Consequently, I dreaded disengaging from PeoplePC in order to get a high-speed ISP.
    BUT my experience was positive. Although uninstalling their internet security pack got
    hung up, the problem was resolved nicely by a level three technician there. Additionally
    he performed other helpful services for me; I was favorably impressed.
    jam, Mar 1, 2011
    #11
  12. jam

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Rising to PeoplePC's defense

    2011, A DIFFERENT STORY:
    Reading suchlike information on the internet produced no shortage of mental anguish and anxiety...
    Consequently, I dreaded disengaging from PeoplePC in order to get a high-speed ISP.
    BUT my experience was positive. Although uninstalling their internet security pack got
    hung up, the problem was resolved nicely by a level three technician there. Additionally
    he performed other helpful services for me; I was favorably impressed.
    jam, Mar 1, 2011
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. billyw

    to yank scumbags out there

    billyw, Jan 11, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,368
    Rowdy Yates
    Jan 12, 2004
  2. New Player

    DVDSOON are scumbags

    New Player, Dec 30, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    32
    Views:
    1,011
    Koenig
    Jan 4, 2005
  3. dave
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    5,447
    David H. Lipman
    Nov 23, 2005
  4. PeoplePC

    , Nov 7, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    41
    Views:
    1,794
    Blinky the Shark
    Nov 10, 2005
  5. Franky Furter

    PeoplePC ISP....boy do they suck!

    Franky Furter, Jan 31, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    26
    Views:
    816
    Elizavita Chirkova
    Jan 31, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page