    pocketable camera.

    What is your experience? Just curious.

    With thanks. Have a happy new 2004.

    zxcvar, Jan 1, 2004

  2. zxcvar

    GLC1173 Guest

    ZXCVAR wrote:
    >What is your experience? Just curious.

    I use the Optio S - which I always have with me - for "incidental" photos,
    and the Sony DSC-D770 quasi-SLR for when I know I'll be taking photos. The
    Sony I also use for eBay photos, etc.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <B>Dissident news - plus immigration, gun rights, nationwide weather
    <I><A HREF="http://www.alamanceind.com">ALAMANCE INDEPENDENT:
    official newspaper of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy</A></b></i>

    GLC1173, Jan 1, 2004

  3. zxcvar

    Rafe B. Guest

    On 31 Dec 2003 19:04:40 -0800, (zxcvar)
    wrote:

    >Greetings! I used to have two film cameras - one SLR with different
    >lenses and a pocketable Stylus with 35 mm f2.8 lens non-zoom camera. I
    >found that I used to take more pictures with pocketable camera as
    >Olympus camera was always with me. Now I have moved to digital
    >cameras. I have two cameras.I seem to be doing the same with digital
    >pocketable camera.
    >
    >What is your experience? Just curious.

    My Canon G2 comes with me on backpacking trips
    or if I'm in a mood to travel light. It's also the camera
    of choice for casual snapshots, family, parties, etc.

    If I'm on a more serious photo outing, and not away
    from the car for more than a few hours, I'll take along
    the 10D... and probably my Pentax 645 also.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Jan 1, 2004
  4. zxcvar

    Phil Guest

    GLC1173 wrote:

    > ZXCVAR wrote:
    >
    >>What is your experience? Just curious.

    > I use the Optio S - which I always have with me - for "incidental" photos,
    > and the Sony DSC-D770 quasi-SLR for when I know I'll be taking photos. The
    > Sony I also use for eBay photos, etc.

    Mine are:

    o Oly D-520 for pocket/hiking use (2 mp, $150 or so new these days)
    o Oly C-2100UZ (10x IS) for almost any use
    o Canon 300D for serious use

    Phil

    Phil, Jan 1, 2004
  5. zxcvar

    Mark Johnson Guest

    (zxcvar) wrote:

    >Greetings! I used to have two film cameras - one SLR with different
    >lenses and a pocketable Stylus with 35 mm f2.8 lens non-zoom camera. I
    >found that I used to take more pictures with pocketable camera as
    >Olympus camera was always with me. Now I have moved to digital
    >cameras. I have two cameras.I seem to be doing the same with digital
    >pocketable camera.
    >
    >What is your experience? Just curious.
    >
    >With thanks. Have a happy new 2004.

    The shirt-pocket cams can produce excellent results, even at 1-3MP.
    But it's for the difficult, or detailed shots, that you'd appreciated
    a lot more, and a RAW file. But the small pocket cams can produce very
    good results, and sometimes without the noise or certain other
    problems of larger CCDs, or the expense of dSLRs.

    Mark Johnson, Jan 1, 2004
  6. zxcvar

    JoeG Guest

    zxcvar wrote:
    > Greetings! I used to have two film cameras - one SLR with different
    > lenses and a pocketable Stylus with 35 mm f2.8 lens non-zoom camera. I
    > found that I used to take more pictures with pocketable camera as
    > Olympus camera was always with me. Now I have moved to digital
    > cameras. I have two cameras.I seem to be doing the same with digital
    > pocketable camera.
    >
    > What is your experience? Just curious.
    >
    > With thanks. Have a happy new 2004.

    Same here -- I bought an Oly 3040Z a few years back -- bought my
    daughter a small Fuji and I ended up using it more than my Oly, so I my
    kids and family bought me a Casio Exlim. I luv this little camera, as I
    can take it everywhere.

    JoeG, Jan 1, 2004
  7. zxcvar

    Ron Hunter Guest

    zxcvar wrote:

    > Greetings! I used to have two film cameras - one SLR with different
    > lenses and a pocketable Stylus with 35 mm f2.8 lens non-zoom camera. I
    > found that I used to take more pictures with pocketable camera as
    > Olympus camera was always with me. Now I have moved to digital
    > cameras. I have two cameras.I seem to be doing the same with digital
    > pocketable camera.
    >
    > What is your experience? Just curious.
    >
    > With thanks. Have a happy new 2004.

    Well, if you have the camera, you can take pictures. If you don't have
    it, you can't. Where's the mystery?

    Ron Hunter, Jan 1, 2004
  8. zxcvar

    Bobby Guest

    I use a (very small) Pentax Optio camera and I'm delighted with it. I carry
    it in my briefcase at all times - and I use it on the most unpredictable
    occasions.

    Obviously if you have the cash then you should buy a high quality small
    camera and a high quality large camera - but if you have to choose then go
    for the small one. There's no point in having one large camera if it's too
    much hassle to carry around. After all, a (slightly) inferior picture is
    better than no picture at all.

    Go for the small one. You'll make much more use of it.

    Bobby

    Bobby, Jan 1, 2004
  9. zxcvar

    Davidmystery Guest

    Film camera in my pocket: either an Olympus Stylus Epic or a Ricoh GR-1.

    Digital camera in my pocket: Nikon Coolpix 885 or a Kodak DC4800, depending
    on whether I want wide-angle capability.

    I don't own a digital SLR. What's the point? Film SLRs are infinitely more
    versatile, less expensive, don't quit when the battery dies, and give me 10+
    MP images on the film of my choice.

    - David K. (USA)

    Davidmystery, Jan 1, 2004
  10. zxcvar

    Jerome Bigge Guest

    On 31 Dec 2003 19:04:40 -0800, (zxcvar) wrote:

    >Greetings! I used to have two film cameras - one SLR with different
    >lenses and a pocketable Stylus with 35 mm f2.8 lens non-zoom camera. I
    >found that I used to take more pictures with pocketable camera as
    >Olympus camera was always with me. Now I have moved to digital
    >cameras. I have two cameras.I seem to be doing the same with digital
    >pocketable camera.
    >
    >What is your experience? Just curious.
    >
    >With thanks. Have a happy new 2004.

    My Sony DSC-U10 gets more use than my
    Canon A60 or my Kodak CX6200 for just
    this reason...

    Jerome Bigge
    Member, Muskegon Astronomical Society
    Author of the "Warlady" & "Wartime" series.
    Download at "http://members.tripod.com/~jbigge"

    Jerome Bigge, Jan 1, 2004
  11. zxcvar

    Guest

    zxcvar <> wrote:
    > Greetings! I used to have two film cameras - one SLR with different
    > lenses and a pocketable Stylus with 35 mm f2.8 lens non-zoom camera. I
    > found that I used to take more pictures with pocketable camera as
    > Olympus camera was always with me. Now I have moved to digital
    > cameras. I have two cameras.I seem to be doing the same with digital
    > pocketable camera.

    > What is your experience? Just curious.

    I have a Digital Rebel. I do plan to buy a pocket size digital camera
    to just keep on hand, but its not a high priority thing for me.

    , Jan 3, 2004
  12. zxcvar

    Malevil Guest

    Had Canon D30 for a couple of years - mostly sat in the closet as we always
    had our Canon S110 (Digital Elph) with us all the time. Wife has to review
    close to 2,000 images (we're behind) from the S110 to archive. Bought her a
    Sony 72 for Xmas - it went back as the images did not compare to the S110
    (have done beautiful (16x20 prints at Ofoto).

    Also bought a Nikon 5700 a few months ago and was/have been pleased with
    it - especially the long zoom. Very dissappointed in the focus assist,
    low-light, Speedlight issues and inability to control/live preview on my
    laptop. Most likely will go up on eBay soon and l go back to Canon. Nikon
    accessories are the NextPhoto adapter with 72mm Nikon UV filter, battery
    grip and SB30 Speedlight.

    Ron

    Malevil, Jan 4, 2004
  13. RE/
    >> Greetings! I used to have two film cameras - one SLR with different
    >> lenses and a pocketable Stylus with 35 mm f2.8 lens non-zoom camera. I
    >> found that I used to take more pictures with pocketable camera as
    >> Olympus camera was always with me. Now I have moved to digital
    >> cameras. I have two cameras.I seem to be doing the same with digital
    >> pocketable camera.

    I've got a Nikon 990 (relatively-large) and a Minolta Dimage X (truly
    pocket-size).

    If I ever get around to it I'm going to sell the 990 because I'm just not using
    it. They're both P&S cameras. The 990 gives a better-quality pic, but the
    Dimage is always at hand.... so virtually all my shots are with the Dimage.

    After I sell the 990, maybe I'll look for a digital SLR - partially to replace
    the macro capability of the 990, but mainly to have something where shutter lag
    isn't a constraint.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Jan 4, 2004