    I'd like to stay here but will move gladly to the neighbourhood chosen by
    the majority.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 6, 2006

  2. From the look of things, this will be the dedicated group for Vista x64
    issues. The current XP MCE newsgroup is being utilized for Vista MCE issues,
    along with the current XP Tablet PC ngs for Vista Tablet PC issues.

    I personally wouldn't mind having a different ngs separate for both OS's,
    but I guess MS is looking at this long term by saying most XP x64 users will
    be migrating to Vista x64 in the near future, so instead of setting up a new
    ng, might as well use the existing one.
    --
    http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 6, 2006

  3. Carlos wrote:

    >Sooner or later, many of us will be moving to Vista x64.
    >Charlie, Andre, Tony, Jud, Colin and many others will surely jump into the
    >Vista bandwagon.
    >My question is: Which newsgroup are we gonna hang around for Vista x64?
    >This one, the "Vista general"?
    >I'd like to stay here but will move gladly to the neighbourhood chosen by
    >the majority.

    I reckon this group will remain the best place for x64 questions.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Sep 6, 2006
  4. I'll stay here as long as it's relevant. I'll not move to any big .general
    newsgroup - too many trolls, too many messages. I find I really just can't
    be effective in a large NG like that - it's more than I can deal with. So
    you don't see me in XP.general, or anything like it. I do monitor the public
    SBS newsgroup, and, of course, the servicesforunix.general one. Though I
    admit - I'm just not spending all that much time with SFU these days.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 6, 2006
  5. You have no idea how hard it was to get this newsgroup! Getting a second x64
    one for Vista? Ain't going to happen, trust me. So we'll stay here, but I
    really think that most of what we'll be seeing, a year from now, will be
    vista issues, not x64 issues.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 6, 2006
  6. If only because the main Vista newsgroups will be a zoo.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 6, 2006
  7. That's no different from windowsxp.general today.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 6, 2006
  8. The Vista relevant newsgroups are listed in the Vista Help and
    Support/Community page. This is the newsgroup listed for 64bit issues.
    This is the newsgroup for Windows 64bit computing, whether XP or Vista or,
    further in the future, Windows Codename Vienna.

    We all got used to this being a Win XP Pro x64 ng because XP Pro x64 (and
    Server 2003 x64) was all there was in Windows 64bit computing. We asked MS
    to let us continue that way but we were given a policy clarification that
    64bit computing issues are platform agnostic and MS would not create any
    other newsgroups specific to 64bits. Of course they then created Vista x64
    ng's in French and German, but hey, that's MS.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 6, 2006
  9. I think I got the gist of it when I was told it was difficult to even change
    the name of an ng.

    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 6, 2006
  10. Right, since there are almost no issues with XP x64. :)

    --
    Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
    Core 2 Extreme X6800

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=, Sep 6, 2006
  11. Colin, you forgot Fiji, although it has only been confirmed by Microsoft
    Partners. :)

    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 6, 2006
  12. It looks like most of the problem animals have been sedated. ;)

    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 6, 2006
  13. <g>

    Hardly. Which is why I fought so hard to get this NG. But Vista has some
    significant differences, not the least of which is that the logo program
    requires x64 support. And that Vista itself is really going to be pushing
    folks to new hardware, much of which will be 64bit capable. With the retail
    box of Vista having both DVDs in it, we'll see more and more folks in the
    64bit environment. This will force the OEMs to provide 64bit support or see
    their business take a big hit.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 6, 2006
  14. which is why I'm not there. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 6, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    I think we will see the "driver" issue for longer than a year. We
    know that there will be a long long list of unsupported hardware
    components and as folks gradually install 64 bi vista and start
    looking for a driver for____ --

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Sep 6, 2006
  16. Interesting Charlie, are you saying the Vista packaging will contain both
    x86 and x64 disk?

    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 6, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    Zapper Guest

    Yep, that is the plan of record.

    <DIV>&quot;Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]&quot; &lt;&gt;

    Zapper, Sep 6, 2006
  18. Then I guess I'll just stay here with my cool English speaking buddies.
    There's a Spanish Vista NG but it ain't x64.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 6, 2006
  19. It will be if you post there a while. :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 6, 2006
  20. That is my understanding, yes. And I know they use the same key.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 6, 2006