People finally starting to wise up?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, Jan 23, 2008.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    From Amateur Photography magazine:

    Britain's DSLR camera sales rocket 23.6%

    Monday 21st January 2008
    Chris Cheesman
    Canon EOS 40D podium

    Sales of digital SLRs shot up by 23.4% in Britain last year compared
    to 2006, according to official figures released by GfK Marketing
    Services.

    Consumers snapped up a total of 443,000 DSLRs worth a total of
    £206.4m, a growth in sales value of 10.8% on the previous year.

    The number of digital compact cameras sold in 2007 rose by 6.4% to
    6.32m units.

    However, the revenue earned from compact sales fell by 8.4% to £731.4m.

    Rich, Jan 23, 2008

  2. Rich

    Stewy Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Rich <> wrote:

    > From Amateur Photography magazine:
    >
    > Britain's DSLR camera sales rocket 23.6%
    >
    > Monday 21st January 2008
    > Chris Cheesman
    > Canon EOS 40D podium
    >
    > Sales of digital SLRs shot up by 23.4% in Britain last year compared
    > to 2006, according to official figures released by GfK Marketing
    > Services.
    >
    > Consumers snapped up a total of 443,000 DSLRs worth a total of
    > £206.4m, a growth in sales value of 10.8% on the previous year.
    >
    > The number of digital compact cameras sold in 2007 rose by 6.4% to
    > 6.32m units.
    >
    > However, the revenue earned from compact sales fell by 8.4% to £731.4m.

    Wise up to what?

    Many (most?) people who buy digital cameras are not your serious (I'm
    worried about noise) type photographer. All these people want is a very
    compact camera they can slip in their pocket and take snaps whenever
    they want. They don't know (and don't give a monkeys) about RAW files.
    All they want are pictures they can take to Boots and get printed.
    These people are not worried about having 'this year's camera' and tend
    to hold on to their hardware until it breaks.

    Stewy, Jan 23, 2008

  3. Rich

    John Navas Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:40:19 -0800 (PST), Rich <>
    wrote in
    <>:

    >From Amateur Photography magazine:
    >
    >Britain's DSLR camera sales rocket 23.6%
    >
    >Monday 21st January 2008
    >Chris Cheesman
    >Canon EOS 40D podium
    >
    >Sales of digital SLRs shot up by 23.4% in Britain last year compared
    >to 2006, according to official figures released by GfK Marketing
    >Services.
    >
    >Consumers snapped up a total of 443,000 DSLRs worth a total of
    >£206.4m, a growth in sales value of 10.8% on the previous year.
    >
    >The number of digital compact cameras sold in 2007 rose by 6.4% to
    >6.32m units.
    >
    >However, the revenue earned from compact sales fell by 8.4% to £731.4m.

    What happening is that the large compact camera market is maturing,
    while the small dSLR market is still evolving. How long that will
    continue is anyone's guess.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Jan 23, 2008
  4. Rich

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <d79266df-898b-4382-8bfd-978dd77349e6
    @v17g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, Rich says...

    > Consumers snapped up a total of 443,000 DSLRs worth a total of
    > £206.4m, a growth in sales value of 10.8% on the previous year.
    >
    > The number of digital compact cameras sold in 2007 rose by 6.4% to
    > 6.32m units.

    That means that 93% of all cameras sold in the UK were compacts.
    Actually if you add the camera phones, the percentage of non-DSLRs sold
    is even higher.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Jan 23, 2008
  5. Rich

    Fred Guest

    Yes I wised up years ago and ditched all my bulky 35mm SLR gear.

    The liberation of being free from all that clutter was like a breath of
    fresh air and I've never looked back since!

    Unlike many dSLR owners, I don't count pixels, I take photographs.

    Fred, Jan 23, 2008
  6. Rich

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > From Amateur Photography magazine:
    >
    > Britain's DSLR camera sales rocket 23.6%
    >
    > Monday 21st January 2008
    > Chris Cheesman
    > Canon EOS 40D podium
    >
    > Sales of digital SLRs shot up by 23.4% in Britain last year compared
    > to 2006, according to official figures released by GfK Marketing
    > Services.
    >
    > Consumers snapped up a total of 443,000 DSLRs worth a total of
    > £206.4m, a growth in sales value of 10.8% on the previous year.
    >
    > The number of digital compact cameras sold in 2007 rose by 6.4% to
    > 6.32m units.
    >
    > However, the revenue earned from compact sales fell by 8.4% to £731.4m.

    Tight margins, and reduced prices of DSLRs, while prices of better
    quality P&S cameras rose with addition of larger LCD displays, and
    smaller camera sizes.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 23, 2008