    overclockable dual core CPU.

    I've been on the AMD bandwagon even since prescott. But my X2 3800 cost more
    than twice what this does :eek:
    Stephen Williams, Mar 1, 2006

  2. Stephen Williams

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Stephen Williams wrote:
    > This looks like a good deal. Dual core, 2.66GHz, 533FSB, 2 * 1MB
    > cache, 90nm.
    >
    > Shitty specs, but for $240 it's hard to complain about getting a very
    > overclockable dual core CPU.
    >
    > I've been on the AMD bandwagon even since prescott. But my X2 3800
    > cost more than twice what this does :eek:

    I've been on the AMD bandwagon ever since Intel dropped the Tualatin PIII
    range in favour of that mutt of a CPU, the P4.

    I think you'll find your X2 3800 to be a hell of a lot better than the 805.
    I know what I'd rather have.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Mar 1, 2006

  3. "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Stephen Williams wrote:
    >> This looks like a good deal. Dual core, 2.66GHz, 533FSB, 2 * 1MB
    >> cache, 90nm.
    >>
    >> Shitty specs, but for $240 it's hard to complain about getting a very
    >> overclockable dual core CPU.
    >>
    >> I've been on the AMD bandwagon even since prescott. But my X2 3800
    >> cost more than twice what this does :eek:

    > I've been on the AMD bandwagon ever since Intel dropped the Tualatin PIII
    > range in favour of that mutt of a CPU, the P4.
    >
    > I think you'll find your X2 3800 to be a hell of a lot better than the
    > 805. I know what I'd rather have.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Yeah that was a good CPU, far too short-lived. But the Northwood 800fsb HT
    P4 was good too. I "upgraded" my P4 to a single core A64 and found it
    didn't have quite the response that the P4 had, especially when
    multi-tasking. So I quickly went out and got the X2 which is simply great :)
    The single core ended up in my girlfriend's PC and she is very happy with
    it.

    I know the A64 dual core version is way better. All I was saying is that
    this Pentium D looks like great value for money.
    Stephen Williams, Mar 1, 2006
  4. Stephen Williams

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Stephen Williams wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Stephen Williams wrote:
    >>> This looks like a good deal. Dual core, 2.66GHz, 533FSB, 2 * 1MB
    >>> cache, 90nm.
    >>>
    >>> Shitty specs, but for $240 it's hard to complain about getting a
    >>> very overclockable dual core CPU.
    >>>
    >>> I've been on the AMD bandwagon even since prescott. But my X2 3800
    >>> cost more than twice what this does :eek:

    >> I've been on the AMD bandwagon ever since Intel dropped the Tualatin
    >> PIII range in favour of that mutt of a CPU, the P4.
    >>
    >> I think you'll find your X2 3800 to be a hell of a lot better than
    >> the 805. I know what I'd rather have.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    > Yeah that was a good CPU, far too short-lived.

    Oh well, Intel learned their lesson and the Tualatin's direct descandant
    lives on as the Pentium M. Intel's Israel R&D folks refused to give up on
    the PIII Tualatin and tweaked it until it became the Pentium M. A core with
    similar power/MHz ratio as the AMD CPUs and the future for Intel's
    multi-core CPUs as it's very efficient.

    > But the Northwood
    > 800fsb HT P4 was good too.

    Yeah, IMO the best of a bad bunch though. Intel had backed a losing design
    but tweaked it for all they could and got some reasonable performance out of
    it. Not good power/MHz ratio but power all the same.

    > I "upgraded" my P4 to a single core A64
    > and found it didn't have quite the response that the P4 had,
    > especially when multi-tasking. So I quickly went out and got the X2
    > which is simply great :) The single core ended up in my girlfriend's
    > PC and she is very happy with it.

    I bet she is. I'm still using a Barton. :)

    > I know the A64 dual core version is way better. All I was saying is
    > that this Pentium D looks like great value for money.

    Yeah, you're right. Especially if it *is* a good overclocker.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Mar 1, 2006