    the same or better performance on the same MOB.

    Best Wishes

    Bruce
    Bruce, Nov 26, 2007

  2. Bruce

    Paul Guest

    Bruce wrote:
    > A couple of years ago I built a PC with an Intel D915N (Socket 775) & a
    > Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 @3.40 Ghz , FSB 800 (Prescott). It has always run
    > hot varying from 60 Cent to 85 Cent. I have checked applied better thermal
    > paste added fans etc. I was thinking of replacing the CPU what would give me
    > the same or better performance on the same MOB.
    >
    > Best Wishes
    >
    > Bruce

    If I got the right board, it takes LGA775 processors of the single core with
    Hyperthreading variety.

    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d915pgn/sb/CS-026948.htm

    If you check the list here, there are some processors with slightly reduced
    power consumption (661, 662, 65nm processors), but it doesn't appear that
    the Intel list includes them for some reason. Probably would need a BIOS
    upgrade that Intel didn't write.

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=483

    To compare processor support, this is an Asus support list for one of
    their 915 based motherboards. They include some of the 65nm processors.

    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/...1&name=P5GDC-V Deluxe&SLanguage=en-us&cache=1

    Since you're at 3.4GHz, and the top ones are 3.8GHz and pretty hot running,
    I don't see that as a very effective upgrade. You probably couldn't tell
    which one was installed in the machine, by the level of performance achieved.

    If you want a good cooler for your current processor, try a Tuniq Tower. This
    thing is monstrous, but is used by some of the overclocking sites. You may want
    to read the reviews here, to get some idea of how big it is.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16835154001

    Something else that helps a CPU cooler, is good airflow through the case.
    I opened up extra vents on the front of my computer case (by removing the
    plastic fascia and filters), and that allows the rear 120mm fan to work
    better. Having additional airflow past the CPU cooler, helps it do its
    job.

    If you want a processor upgrade, then it's time to move to a Core2 processor
    of some sort. A Q6600 or an E6850, are examples of decent solutions for
    $280-$290 or so. You'll need a new motherboard at the very least.

    Note - before comparing the benchmarks on this page, be aware that virtually
    every benchmark is oriented for multi-core. There is still plenty of software
    that uses a single core, and moving to a dual or quad core with such software,
    you won't see nearly the increase shown in these charts. In a way, these
    charts are quite deceptive for the casual upgrader, as they seek to hide the
    truth. There is still benefit from dual or quad cores, but some of your
    old software won't give nearly as much boost (maybe only 50% more).

    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=872&model2=892&chart=439

    Have fun,
    Paul
    Paul, Nov 26, 2007

  3. Bruce

    ClueLess Guest

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:57:52 GMT, "Bruce"
    <> wrote:

    >A couple of years ago I built a PC with an Intel D915N (Socket 775) & a
    >Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 @3.40 Ghz , FSB 800 (Prescott). It has always run
    >hot varying from 60 Cent to 85 Cent. I have checked applied better thermal
    >paste added fans etc. I was thinking of replacing the CPU what would give me
    >the same or better performance on the same MOB.

    I run the same processor on a Mercury board and the temp is around
    45-47 deg C, after being on for several hours.

    Have used an original Intel (copper insert) cooler. Earlier I used to
    see nearly 60-63 deg C when I used a non-Intel Cooler that was all
    aluminum.

    HTH

    ClueLess

    ClueLess, Nov 29, 2007