  1. I just got a computer that has a Pentium Processor and it has Windows 98 as
    an operating system. I want to install a bigger hard drive and XP Pro on it,
    but will the processor work with it?

    =?Utf-8?B?c2FuY2hlejY=?=, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Probably, check this link to make sure that particular hardware is
    compatible with Windows XP:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/default.mspx
    Particularly #3 Upgrade Advisor.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Oct 14, 2004

  3. "sanchez6" <> wrote in message
    > I just got a computer that has a Pentium Processor and it has Windows 98

    as
    > an operating system. I want to install a bigger hard drive and XP Pro on

    it,
    > but will the processor work with it?

    It depends on a few other factors.. Like how much memory you have in the
    computer, and the speed of the pentium.

    I won't say it won't work, simply because I'm running XP Pro on a 433mHz
    Pentium with 196MB SDRAM (PC-66 FSB). It's slower than my main computer,
    but XP does run on it. And, I haven't had very many problems with it.

    Hope this helps you a little.
    Patrick.

    --
    Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you...

    Patrick Dickey, Oct 14, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?c2FuY2hlejY=?=

    madmax Guest

    sanchez6 wrote:
    > I just got a computer that has a Pentium Processor and it has Windows 98 as
    > an operating system. I want to install a bigger hard drive and XP Pro on it,
    > but will the processor work with it?

    You might be better off using win2000.If the processor is less than P3
    it will be slow.I am running a P3 667mz with 512 ram,seems to run fine.
    -max

    --
    To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
    Virus cleaning +fixes see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/TechPros

    madmax, Oct 15, 2004
  5. good one

    =?Utf-8?B?S2lyYW5zaWQ=?=, Oct 15, 2004
  6. Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional
    • PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz
    minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron
    family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

    • 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported;
    may limit performance and some features)

    • 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

    • Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

    • CD-ROM or DVD drive

    • Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=, Oct 15, 2004
  7. =?Utf-8?B?c2FuY2hlejY=?=

    Tony Guest

    Actually, i have a pentium 200 with 128 megs of ram running Win XP Pro.
    It runs like a dog.... but it runs.

    Tony, Oct 22, 2004