    Pentiums, 386's being 16 bit and 486's being 32 bit. A bit of
    clarification here would be gratefully received.
    Thanks

    Nick, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Nick

    Aaron Guest

    P4's are 32 bit, as most recent chips have been. There are currently two 64
    bit chips on the "mainstream" market: the AMD Athlon 64 @ 2.0 GHz, and the
    AMD Athlon 64 FX51 @ 2.2 GHz.

    Aaron

    Aaron, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Nick

    derek / nul Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 01:14:32 +0100, Nick <> wrote:

    >I read recently that there was a new AMD chip coming out that was a 64
    >bit processor. I always thought that processors have been 64 bit since
    >Pentiums, 386's being 16 bit and 486's being 32 bit. A bit of
    >clarification here would be gratefully received.

    386 32 bit
    486 32 bit
    Pentium up to P4 32 bit

    derek / nul, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Nick

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    derek / nul <> wrote in

    > 386 32 bit
    > 486 32 bit
    > Pentium up to P4 32 bit

    To add to those:
    Athlon: 32 bit
    Cyrix: 32 bit
    Via (formerly Cyrix): 32 bit

    The only 64 bit chip a consumer can afford is an Athlon64 or AthlonFX.
    Even the Opteron 1xx chips (which are basically an AthlonFX, when it comes
    down to it, or rather the reverse is true) are affordable for home users
    that want power. The cheapest Itanium (intel's 64 bit chip based on a new
    instruction language) I've seen listed on Pricewatch goes for about $3200
    for the CPU, not counting motherboard, ram, etc. I saw earlier today a
    notebook with an Athlon64 3200+, 1 gig of RAM, ATI Radeon graphics, 40 gig
    5400 RPM hard drive, DVD+RW/CDRW burner, XP Pro, with 15" LCD for $3400.
    Just to put the price into perspective.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 19, 2003
  5. Nick

    Bobby Guest

    Wow, notebooks with 64's already??! Amazing! Can you provide a link by any
    chance, please?

    Thanks,

    Bobby

    Bobby, Oct 19, 2003
  6. Nick

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    http://www.voodoopc.com/systems/m855.aspx

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 19, 2003
  7. Nick

    Stan Guest

    "Aaron" <> wrote in message news:<gNkkb.19686$>...
    > P4's are 32 bit, as most recent chips have been. There are currently two 64
    > bit chips on the "mainstream" market: the AMD Athlon 64 @ 2.0 GHz, and the
    > AMD Athlon 64 FX51 @ 2.2 GHz.

    There's a few more than that:

    Sun Sparc chips have been 64 Bit since the mid 90's
    HP PA-RISC chips have been around for even longer at 64 bits
    Apple G5 are 64bit PowerPC processors
    Intel Itanium processors have been around for several years now and
    are 64 bit as well.

    The older CPUs you mentioned 386, 486, Pentium, PII, PIII, Celerons
    and P4 are all 32 bit. You have to go back to the 286 to get to
    16bits.

    Stan, Nov 11, 2003
  8. Nick

    derek / nul Guest

    On 11 Nov 2003 07:29:30 -0800, (Stan) wrote:

    >"Aaron" <> wrote in message news:<gNkkb.19686$>...
    >> P4's are 32 bit, as most recent chips have been. There are currently two 64
    >> bit chips on the "mainstream" market: the AMD Athlon 64 @ 2.0 GHz, and the
    >> AMD Athlon 64 FX51 @ 2.2 GHz.
    >>

    >There's a few more than that:
    >
    >Sun Sparc chips have been 64 Bit since the mid 90's
    >HP PA-RISC chips have been around for even longer at 64 bits
    >Apple G5 are 64bit PowerPC processors
    >Intel Itanium processors have been around for several years now and
    >are 64 bit as well.
    >
    >The older CPUs you mentioned 386, 486, Pentium, PII, PIII, Celerons
    >and P4 are all 32 bit. You have to go back to the 286 to get to
    >16bits.

    You forget the most important 64 bit chip, the Alpha

    derek / nul, Nov 11, 2003
  9. Nick

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    derek / nul <> wrote in

    > You forget the most important 64 bit chip, the Alpha

    All the 64-bit chips listed (save the Apple G5) are indeed 64-bits, but are
    not "mainstream" chips in the sense that they are consumer chips. They are
    all high end, ludicrously expensive server level chips. The Athlon 64 is
    also really expensive compared to a P4 or Athlon XP, but at under $450 is
    still a "consumer level" chip.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 11, 2003
  10. Nick

    Stan Guest

    > You forget the most important 64 bit chip, the Alpha

    I thought someone may say that, I left it out since HP announced it is
    being discontinued and replaced with Itanium. Of course by the same
    logic I should have left PA-RISC out since that's going to be replaced
    by Itanium as well, but I have a feeling that one will take a bit
    longer to pull off :)

    Stan, Nov 12, 2003