    ALso anyone know of a good site that has lots of information about
    notebooks, as I have only ever used desktops.

    TIA
    John, Jul 26, 2004

  2. John

    Chris Guest

    "John" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I am looking at getting a notebook, and am a little confussed about
    > some of the ones I have seen on the interent. Some of them have
    > Pentium M processor such as this one
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=197028, which to me,
    > appear to be a lot slower than pentium 4 chips (1.3 GHZ compares to 3
    > GHz). Are they really slower, or is it a new numbering system that
    > intel are using? ALso anyone know of a good site that has lots of
    > information about notebooks, as I have only ever used desktops.
    >
    > TIA

    I just got a Dell notebook with a Pentium M 1.6 GHz, one of the reasons
    being that they have a lot of data on their www about all the different
    components that go into their machines + fourmn's and other online help.
    I think the CPU's run up to 2.0 GHz now. Mine has a SXGA display - 1400 x
    1050 which makes things like capital W's appear much more crisp on the
    LCD. I looked at a few 1024x768 screens and didn't think they were all
    that good. I have had a few problems getting it set up so I can read it
    easily (I have one program that was quite particular) but I think it was
    worth spending the extra.

    From my research into this I found the following generalisations applied
    to Notebooks with Pentium M CPU's:
    1. They are more expensive than comparable Pentium 4 M's
    2. They have a larger on die cashe
    3. They have a different architecture to the Pen 4 M which makes them more
    effecient, so they can run at a slower speed and still achieve comparable
    results (don't know if this applies to games, video editing etc. though
    playing DVD's seem OK)
    4. Pen M's are used with the Centrino chip sets (Wi-Fi)
    5. They are usually found in lighter Notebooks
    6. They use less power than the Pen 4 M
    7. I'm sure there are more

    Take a look at the following:

    http://intel.com/products/notebook/index.htm?
    iid=HPAGE+header_products_notebook&

    http://snipurl.com/80ef

    http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx?
    c=nz&id=inspn_nz&l=en&s=dhs

    http://snipurl.com/80eu
    Chris, Jul 26, 2004

  3. John

    ~misfit~ Guest

    John wrote:
    > I am looking at getting a notebook, and am a little confussed about
    > some of the ones I have seen on the interent. Some of them have
    > Pentium M processor such as this one
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=197028, which to me,
    > appear to be a lot slower than pentium 4 chips (1.3 GHZ compares to 3
    > GHz). Are they really slower, or is it a new numbering system that
    > intel are using?

    It is a totally different CPU, based on the old (but good) P3 Tualatin. It
    as roughly as powerful as a P4 running at 190% of the speed. (For instance,
    NZ PC World magazine regularly tests PCs and laptops. The fastest Laptop
    they've ever tested was a Pentium M 1.8Ghz, beating out P4 3.2Ghz machines,
    the second fastest was a Pentium M 1.6Ghz) Up to and including 1.6Ghz
    Pentium M's have 1MB of L2 cache, the 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0Ghz models have 2MB.
    They are damn fast and damn efficient. The newest ones only consume 21 watts
    of power compared to P4's that consume up to around 100 watts. That makes
    for a lot longer battery-life.

    > ALso anyone know of a good site that has lots of information about
    > notebooks, as I have only ever used desktops.

    Google 'Banais' and 'Dothan', the code-names for the 1MB L2 and 2MB L2
    versions respectively.

    That 1.3Ghz Pentium M you mention would give a P4 3Ghz a run for it's money
    and still be running on battery and hour and a half after the P4 died.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jul 26, 2004
  4. John

    Iconz Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:59:55 +1200, John <> wrote:

    > I am looking at getting a notebook, and am a little confussed about some
    > of
    > the ones I have seen on the interent. Some of them have Pentium M
    > processor
    > such as this one http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=197028,
    > which to me, appear to be a lot slower than pentium 4 chips (1.3 GHZ
    > compares to 3 GHz). Are they really slower, or is it a new numbering
    > system
    > that intel are using?
    > ALso anyone know of a good site that has lots of information about
    > notebooks, as I have only ever used desktops.
    >
    > TIA

    Pentium M or Centrino are designed specifically for Notebooks.
    They are considerably faster than P4 in a notebook situation, put off less
    heat and allow for slimmer
    external size.

    PMT
    Iconz, Jul 26, 2004
  5. John

    Chris Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > John wrote:
    >> I am looking at getting a notebook, and am a little confussed about
    >> some of the ones I have seen on the interent. Some of them have
    >> Pentium M processor such as this one
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=197028, which to me,
    >> appear to be a lot slower than pentium 4 chips (1.3 GHZ compares to 3
    >> GHz). Are they really slower, or is it a new numbering system that
    >> intel are using?

    > It is a totally different CPU, based on the old (but good) P3
    > Tualatin. It as roughly as powerful as a P4 running at 190% of the
    > speed. (For instance, NZ PC World magazine regularly tests PCs and
    > laptops. The fastest Laptop they've ever tested was a Pentium M
    > 1.8Ghz, beating out P4 3.2Ghz machines, the second fastest was a
    > Pentium M 1.6Ghz) Up to and including 1.6Ghz Pentium M's have 1MB of
    > L2 cache, the 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0Ghz models have 2MB.

    Thats not quite correct, but neither was I. It depends which version of
    the M you have. From the url in my previous post...

    1.3 GHz to 1.7 GHz can have 1 MB and there are models from 1.5 GHz to 2.0
    GHz that have 2 MB. The 2 MB 1.5 to 2.0 GHz CPU's came out not many
    months back IIRC. The actual info can be found here:
    http://snipurl.com/80h1

    Chris, Jul 26, 2004
  6. John

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:59:55 +1200, John wrote:

    > I am looking at getting a notebook, and am a little confussed about some of
    > the ones I have seen on the interent. Some of them have Pentium M processor
    > such as this one http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=197028,
    > which to me, appear to be a lot slower than pentium 4 chips (1.3 GHZ
    > compares to 3 GHz). Are they really slower, or is it a new numbering system
    > that intel are using?
    > ALso anyone know of a good site that has lots of information about
    > notebooks, as I have only ever used desktops.
    >
    > TIA

    The Pentium M is the better chip for laptops.
    Better performance per clock cycle & lower power than the P4.

    check out: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2129
    Murray Symon, Jul 26, 2004
  7. John

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> John wrote:
    >>> I am looking at getting a notebook, and am a little confussed about
    >>> some of the ones I have seen on the interent. Some of them have
    >>> Pentium M processor such as this one
    >>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=197028, which to me,
    >>> appear to be a lot slower than pentium 4 chips (1.3 GHZ compares to
    >>> 3 GHz). Are they really slower, or is it a new numbering system that
    >>> intel are using?

    >> It is a totally different CPU, based on the old (but good) P3
    >> Tualatin. It as roughly as powerful as a P4 running at 190% of the
    >> speed. (For instance, NZ PC World magazine regularly tests PCs and
    >> laptops. The fastest Laptop they've ever tested was a Pentium M
    >> 1.8Ghz, beating out P4 3.2Ghz machines, the second fastest was a
    >> Pentium M 1.6Ghz) Up to and including 1.6Ghz Pentium M's have 1MB of
    >> L2 cache, the 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0Ghz models have 2MB.

    > Thats not quite correct, but neither was I. It depends which version
    > of the M you have. From the url in my previous post...
    >
    > 1.3 GHz to 1.7 GHz can have 1 MB and there are models from 1.5 GHz to
    > 2.0 GHz that have 2 MB. The 2 MB 1.5 to 2.0 GHz CPU's came out not
    > many months back IIRC. The actual info can be found here:
    > http://snipurl.com/80h1

    Thanks for clearing that up Chris. I was just going by memory from what I'd
    read. Actually, if you re-read the page you linked it doesn't actually say
    1.5Ghz are available with 2MB L2, unless the comma between 2MB and 1MB in
    the row above means 'or'.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 26, 2004
  8. John

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Iconz wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:59:55 +1200, John <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking at getting a notebook, and am a little confussed about
    >> some of
    >> the ones I have seen on the interent. Some of them have Pentium M
    >> processor
    >> such as this one
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=197028, which to me,
    >> appear to be a lot slower than pentium 4 chips (1.3 GHZ compares to
    >> 3 GHz). Are they really slower, or is it a new numbering system
    >> that intel are using?
    >> ALso anyone know of a good site that has lots of information about
    >> notebooks, as I have only ever used desktops.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    > Pentium M or Centrino

    'Centrino' isn't the name of a CPU, it's the name of a CPU, chipset and wifi
    combo/module, all made by Intel. The CPU in the combo is in fact a Pentium
    M.

    > are designed specifically for Notebooks.

    There is talk of them being made available for desktop use as well,
    especially for small form factor PCs. If that happens then I *might*
    actually be tempted back into the Intel fold.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 26, 2004
  9. John

    PMT Guest

    >> Pentium M or Centrino

    > 'Centrino' isn't the name of a CPU, it's the name of a CPU, chipset and
    > wifi
    > combo/module, all made by Intel. The CPU in the combo is in fact a
    > Pentium
    > M.
    >
    >> are designed specifically for Notebooks.

    > There is talk of them being made available for desktop use as well,
    > especially for small form factor PCs. If that happens then I *might*
    > actually be tempted back into the Intel fold.
    > --

    I changed to AMD XP2600 about a year ago after nothing but Intel over the
    years.
    I have nothing but good results from this CPU. Speed has kept up with my
    demand
    and I have never experienced any glitches that could be put down to
    processor compatibility

    I work from home via wireless broadband and play games all without any
    issues <touch wood>

    PMT
    PMT, Jul 26, 2004
  10. John

    Rider Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > I am looking at getting a notebook, and am a little confussed about some

    of
    > the ones I have seen on the interent. Some of them have Pentium M

    processor
    > such as this one http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=197028,
    > which to me, appear to be a lot slower than pentium 4 chips (1.3 GHZ
    > compares to 3 GHz). Are they really slower, or is it a new numbering

    system
    > that intel are using?
    > ALso anyone know of a good site that has lots of information about
    > notebooks, as I have only ever used desktops.
    >
    > TIA

    Its interesting they list that notebook as a Pentium M considering the part
    code listed on the Toshiba website says its a Celeron M.

    Rider
    Rider, Jul 28, 2004
  11. John

    Rider Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    > > I am looking at getting a notebook, and am a little confussed about some

    > of
    > > the ones I have seen on the interent. Some of them have Pentium M

    > processor
    > > such as this one http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=197028,
    > > which to me, appear to be a lot slower than pentium 4 chips (1.3 GHZ
    > > compares to 3 GHz). Are they really slower, or is it a new numbering

    > system
    > > that intel are using?
    > > ALso anyone know of a good site that has lots of information about
    > > notebooks, as I have only ever used desktops.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >

    > Its interesting they list that notebook as a Pentium M considering the

    part
    > code listed on the Toshiba website says its a Celeron M.
    >
    > Rider

    Nevermind, I emailed them and pointed out their error.Its now been changed.

    Rider
    Rider, Jul 28, 2004