    Is there a reliable source that I can read for myself?

    Also, see how I use Pentium M and Pentium Centrino interchangably
    above? Are they just different names for the same chip type?

    Goodguy, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Goodguy

    Geoff Guest

    Goodguy wrote:
    > I'm buying a notebook, considered options are Pentium Centrino M
    > processors, Pentium 4 processors, and AMD Athlon XP processors.
    > So far I prefer Pentium M processors because of their
    > power-saving feature. P4 and Athlon don't do that. But I wonder
    > how Pentium Centrino measure up in the speed when running
    > applications. So Pentium M 1.0 = Pentium 4 what = Athlon XP what?
    > Is there a reliable source that I can read for myself?
    >
    > Also, see how I use Pentium M and Pentium Centrino interchangably
    > above? Are they just different names for the same chip type?

    amd make 'mobile' cpu's, versions for laptops with power saving features

    dunno much about intels centrino thing, i think it's a chipset thing rather
    than a cpu thing, so you have a centrino chipset laptop with pentium m ??
    not sure

    Geoff, Jul 13, 2004

  3. Goodguy

    AG Guest

    "Geoff" <> wrote in message
    > Goodguy wrote:
    > > I'm buying a notebook, considered options are Pentium Centrino M
    > > processors, Pentium 4 processors, and AMD Athlon XP processors.
    > > So far I prefer Pentium M processors because of their
    > > power-saving feature. P4 and Athlon don't do that. But I wonder
    > > how Pentium Centrino measure up in the speed when running
    > > applications. So Pentium M 1.0 = Pentium 4 what = Athlon XP what?
    > > Is there a reliable source that I can read for myself?
    > >
    > > Also, see how I use Pentium M and Pentium Centrino interchangably
    > > above? Are they just different names for the same chip type?

    > amd make 'mobile' cpu's, versions for laptops with power saving features
    >
    > dunno much about intels centrino thing, i think it's a chipset thing

    rather
    > than a cpu thing, so you have a centrino chipset laptop with pentium m ??
    > not sure

    From my reading, not a whole lot, the Centrino package is the wireless and
    the whole thing all with Intel chipsets. The reviews that I saw said if the
    Centrino is cheaper or the same for a similar spec computer go for it but
    don't pay extra for it.
    There are lots of laptop reviews at Cnet and Tom's Hardware sites for the
    original poster.
    AG

    AG, Jul 13, 2004
  4. Goodguy

    A Guest

    Centrino has the M processor, the 855 chipset and wireless 2100 networking.
    It extends battery life in mobiles, I think by letting the CPU run slowly
    when appropriate. If you can afford it buy it!
    Alan A+

    A, Jul 16, 2004
  5. Goodguy

    J Guest

    my understanding of the centrino technology was that the processor came with
    1 MB of L2 cache. I heard that with that much L2 cache, the mobile
    processor at 1 GHz would perform as well as a p4 at 2 GHz, but I cannot
    confirm that

    J, Jul 19, 2004