    performance, no chance - I'll just work from power outlet to power outlet.

    Thanks,
    Chris
    C.J.Patten, Feb 28, 2005

  2. On 28 feb 2005 "C.J.Patten" <> wrote
    news: in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I bought a Northwood, Pentium 4 HT based laptop computer last year.
    > (big, fast, hot fother mucker)
    >
    > I do video editing on the road and it was generally accepted this was
    > the absolute fastest machine available.
    >
    > I'm doing some reading on the Pentium M and it seems the architecture
    > is very efficient - so much so it rivals the P4-HT for throughput.
    >
    > Any comments on this?
    >
    > I use Adobe Premiere Pro for video and it DOES support HyperThreading
    > and multi-processors.
    >
    > I'd like the added battery life of a Pentium M but if it's a
    > compromise on performance, no chance - I'll just work from power
    > outlet to power outlet.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris

    Maybe it's just marketing bullsh*t, but if you multiply the clockspeed of
    an M by 1.5 it *should* be comparable to an P4. Of course one has to take
    into consideration that:
    a. it was intel's own marketing material
    b. there were no study to back it up, only something resembling a graph
    c. I might have been drunk or half asleep...

    btw. you use premiere for serious video editing? I admire you. usually
    when I have to work with premiere, I'll be banging my head on the wall
    within the first ten minutes, crying: "WHY CAN'T I AFFORD A NICE MAC AND
    FINAL CUT?"

    --
    R. Amtjip ;-P
    Just mail away, I'm trying out gmail's spam killer by having a REAL
    Robert Amtjip, Feb 28, 2005

  3. Robert Amtjip wrote:

    > btw. you use premiere for serious video editing? I admire you. usually
    > when I have to work with premiere, I'll be banging my head on the wall
    > within the first ten minutes, crying: "WHY CAN'T I AFFORD A NICE MAC AND
    > FINAL CUT?"

    Both of which you'd trash in a minute after using Vegas 5.0 for a while.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 28, 2005
  4. C.J.Patten

    C.J.Patten Guest

    I tolerate Premiere as I've been using it since version 1.0, c.1993.
    I've done about a dozen DVD/video productions - educational and training,
    corporate and product promotional videos - with it to date, all on XP
    workstations.

    I DID look at a Powerbook when I was choosing laptops.

    Would have cost me over $1500 more than the WinXP machine, didn't have the
    screen resolution. (my laptop is 1680x1050 17" WSXGA+ the Mac was 1440 x
    900)

    Premiere has stated requirements of a minimum 1280x1024 so I didn't want to
    compromise on the vertical res. Glad I didn't...there are a helluva lot of
    palettes.

    FYI: I've owned 17 Macs in as many years. No stranger to the platform. With
    XP, I just couldn't justify the added expense and proprietary nature of the
    hardware. (that, and I may be soured on Apple after my last couple of Macs
    were duds.)

    *********

    Back to the processor...

    I'm running a Northwood at 3.2GHz (800mhz FSB) in my notebook.
    My last machine was a Dell Dimension 8300 workstation with a 2.4GHz P4HT.

    I can't tell the difference in speed between the two. Looks like the P4
    benefits less from a MHz jump than other CPU's might which fits with what
    I've read.

    C.

    C.J.Patten, Mar 1, 2005
  5. C.J.Patten wrote:

    > I tolerate Premiere as I've been using it since version 1.0, c.1993.
    > I've done about a dozen DVD/video productions - educational and training,
    > corporate and product promotional videos - with it to date, all on XP
    > workstations.
    >
    > I DID look at a Powerbook when I was choosing laptops.
    >
    > Would have cost me over $1500 more than the WinXP machine, didn't have the
    > screen resolution. (my laptop is 1680x1050 17" WSXGA+ the Mac was 1440 x
    > 900)
    >
    > Premiere has stated requirements of a minimum 1280x1024 so I didn't want to
    > compromise on the vertical res. Glad I didn't...there are a helluva lot of
    > palettes.
    >
    > FYI: I've owned 17 Macs in as many years. No stranger to the platform. With
    > XP, I just couldn't justify the added expense and proprietary nature of the
    > hardware. (that, and I may be soured on Apple after my last couple of Macs
    > were duds.)
    >
    > *********
    >
    > Back to the processor...
    >
    > I'm running a Northwood at 3.2GHz (800mhz FSB) in my notebook.
    > My last machine was a Dell Dimension 8300 workstation with a 2.4GHz P4HT.
    >
    > I can't tell the difference in speed between the two. Looks like the P4
    > benefits less from a MHz jump than other CPU's might which fits with what
    > I've read.
    >
    > C.

    I've been using PCs for a long time and owned a few Macs, hated every
    damn one of them. And I do a lot of video production that's shown on
    cable TV and in theaters. Shoot it, capture it, edit it and output to
    tape or DVD. I started using Premiere a long time ago and could never
    grow fond of it. Started using Vegas about 2½ years ago, not looked back.

    As for the processor, I'd be glad to advise but I never use Intel's
    chips for my own machines, can't afford them and can't figure out any
    reason why I should. Have you considered a socket 939 AMD 64 bit
    processor? More bang for the buck.

    As for the perceived lack of jump in performance compared to processor
    speed, I've seen what you're seeing too. I built one machine that's an
    AMD 64 bit 3200MHz. Just for giggles overclocked it to 3500MHz and
    didn't especially like the results. Back at 3200, it's a very nice
    performing machine, especially during long bouts of rendering a project.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 1, 2005
  6. C.J.Patten

    C.J.Patten Guest

    Hey Roger!

    Love to hear more about the work you do - I still consider myself new to the
    business. Traditional media was my mainstay for years. I learned video a
    decade ago but haven't put it to use until the last couple of years.

    If you'd like to drop a line, email me a reply, deleting the obvious from
    the address!

    Cheers,
    Chris

    C.J.Patten, Mar 1, 2005
  7. C.J.Patten wrote:
    > Hey Roger!
    >
    > Love to hear more about the work you do - I still consider myself new to the
    > business. Traditional media was my mainstay for years. I learned video a
    > decade ago but haven't put it to use until the last couple of years.
    >
    > If you'd like to drop a line, email me a reply, deleting the obvious from
    > the address!

    You might want to check out news:rec.video.desktop or

    I could regale you for hours with the many adventures of my video work,
    but even I would be bored to tears.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 2, 2005
  8. C.J.Patten

    C.J.Patten Guest