    Processor.

    In my price range is a Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz processor.

    If they are both the same speed, what am I gaining by upgrading?

    Bill, Oct 22, 2006

  2. Bill

    bmoag Guest

    A future.
    In terms of tangible performance today not much although the core dual is
    far more efficient at a given clock speed than the Pentium4 because of
    Athlon style shorter pipelines and particularly because of massive amounts
    of on die cache memory.
    The purported benefits of a dual processor for multitasking are
    underwhelming in real world terms.
    While WinXP recognizes dual cores it does not use them efficiently. It is
    unclear if Vista will be better.
    The Mac side of things is even worse, but no one is supposed to talk about
    that, because besides there being no dual threaded programs native to the
    Mactel OS there basically aren't any programs at all that are native to the
    Mactel OS running on an Intel dual core that are of practical use to
    anybody, most notably no native version of Photoshop.
    Currently there are no mainstream Windows programs, including Photoshop,
    that are multithreaded. Some parts of Adobe premiere and PS are
    multithreaded but not the majority of program functions.
    However: theoretically as the mass of dual core processors increase so will
    dual threaded programs. This should make a difference for games, multimedia,
    video and digital photography but will make no difference for programs such
    as word, excel, etc.

    bmoag, Oct 23, 2006

  3. Bill

    Dr Nick Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    >I have a P4 2.4 GHz machine, and I am looking to upgrade the Motherbord &
    >Processor.
    >
    > In my price range is a Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz processor.
    >
    > If they are both the same speed, what am I gaining by upgrading?

    to try and make it simple, the Core 2 Duo does MUCH more in a clock cycle
    than the pentium 4 does.
    the best analogy I heard was to think back to the days of a 10 speed bike.
    bike 1 (pentium 4) is pedling at 2400 RPM's (2.4 GHZ) in 1st gear. while
    bike 2 (Core 2 Duo) is pedling at 2400 RPM (2.4 GHZ as well) but in 10th
    gear.... in the same amount of time with the same amount of effort, the 2nd
    bike (core 2 duo) will go much farther(I.E. perform better)

    hope that helps

    Dr Nick, Oct 23, 2006
  4. Bill

    Neil Green Guest

    "Dr Nick" <> wrote in message

    > "Bill" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a P4 2.4 GHz machine, and I am looking to
    >>upgrade the Motherbord & Processor.
    >>
    >> In my price range is a Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz
    >> processor.
    >>
    >> If they are both the same speed, what am I gaining
    >> by upgrading?
    >>

    > to try and make it simple, the Core 2 Duo does MUCH
    > more in a clock cycle than the pentium 4 does.
    > the best analogy I heard was to think back to the
    > days of a 10 speed bike. bike 1 (pentium 4) is
    > pedling at 2400 RPM's (2.4 GHZ) in 1st gear. while
    > bike 2 (Core 2 Duo) is pedling at 2400 RPM (2.4 GHZ
    > as well) but in 10th gear.... in the same amount of
    > time with the same amount of effort, the 2nd bike
    > (core 2 duo) will go much farther(I.E. perform
    > better)
    >
    > hope that helps

    If that were true then those two bikes would defy the
    laws of physics.

    Neil Green, Oct 23, 2006
  5. Bill

    Fred Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    >I have a P4 2.4 GHz machine, and I am looking to upgrade the Motherbord &
    >Processor.
    >
    > In my price range is a Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz processor.
    >
    > If they are both the same speed, what am I gaining by upgrading?

    The newer "core" architecture has a number of advantages over the older "net
    burst" architecture.
    Primarily "core" has a shorter but wider pipeline and a number of
    technoligies that keep it full.
    Therefore it can perform more operations per clock cycle and is more
    efficient.
    For a fuller rundown I suggest that you follow this link.
    http://www.behardware.com/articles/623-1/intel-core-2-duo-test.html

    Fred, Oct 23, 2006
  6. Bill

    TakeTheChip Guest

    Can a standard copy of Windows Xp pro run a core 2 duo machine properly? I
    ask this because I notice that most of the preconfigured core 2 duo systems
    come with Xp media center edition.

    TakeTheChip, Oct 23, 2006
  7. Bill

    TakeTheChip Guest

    "Neil Green" <> wrote in message

    > "Dr Nick" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bill" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a P4 2.4 GHz machine, and I am looking to upgrade the Motherbord &
    >>>Processor.
    >>>
    >>> In my price range is a Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz processor.
    >>>
    >>> If they are both the same speed, what am I gaining by upgrading?
    >>>

    >> to try and make it simple, the Core 2 Duo does MUCH more in a clock cycle
    >> than the pentium 4 does.
    >> the best analogy I heard was to think back to the days of a 10 speed
    >> bike. bike 1 (pentium 4) is pedling at 2400 RPM's (2.4 GHZ) in 1st gear.
    >> while bike 2 (Core 2 Duo) is pedling at 2400 RPM (2.4 GHZ as well) but in
    >> 10th gear.... in the same amount of time with the same amount of effort,
    >> the 2nd bike (core 2 duo) will go much farther(I.E. perform better)
    >>
    >> hope that helps

    > If that were true then those two bikes would defy the laws of physics.

    A better analogy would be riding in tenth gear (ie,2.4 ghz) on a cheap,
    heavy, inefficient, steel framed bike, or riding in say 8th gear (ie;1.83
    ghz e6300) on a high end, composite frame, superlight and efficient
    Cannondale. You will go much faster with the same amount of effort on the
    Cannondale.

    TakeTheChip, Oct 23, 2006
  8. Bill

    bmoag Guest

    To put it simply: a core duo appears to be modelled on an Athlon 64 dual
    core with similar short, more efficient pipelines along with massive amounts
    of onboard cache memory. It is likely the latter that is responsible for the
    speed advantage that the core duos are showing over the Athlons at
    comparable clock speeds.

    bmoag, Oct 23, 2006
  9. "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    > To put it simply: a core duo appears to be modelled on an Athlon 64 dual
    > core with similar short, more efficient pipelines along with massive
    > amounts of onboard cache memory. It is likely the latter that is
    > responsible for the speed advantage that the core duos are showing over
    > the Athlons at comparable clock speeds.

    So it seems Intel stole AMD's design (and added more cache to it).
    I guess immatition is the sincerest form of flattery.

    Mind you they could have stuck with their old design and marketed it
    a dual computer/space heater.

    Qatar Airlines Passanger, Oct 23, 2006
  10. Bill

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    >I have a P4 2.4 GHz machine, and I am looking to upgrade the Motherbord &
    >Processor.
    >
    > In my price range is a Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz processor.
    >
    > If they are both the same speed, what am I gaining by upgrading?

    If you go for this, include the WD SATA Raptor series hd which at 10,000
    RPM gets my PC running like a Ferrari on skates!

    Mark Mandell, Oct 24, 2006