    1.5 Ghz or 2.0 Ghz depending on BIOS settings.
    The MB manual says it can use 3 Ghz + and that it should set the
    clock speed automatically.

    Barry OGrady, Jul 13, 2009

  2. Barry OGrady

    Mike Easter Guest

    Barry OGrady wrote:

    > The MB manual says

    What is the mobo?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 13, 2009

  3. Barry OGrady

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 02:56:47 +1000, Barry OGrady wrote:

    >Pentium 4 / 3 Ghz CPU type Sl6wk runs at 2 Ghz.
    >
    >The specs are here
    > http://processorfinder.intel.com/Details.aspx?sSpec=SL6WK
    >
    >The computer originally had a Celeron 2.4 Ghz which I first replaced
    >with a Pentium 4/2.4 Ghz. That worked as it should.

    No pattern, 2.4Ghz -> 2.4Ghz here?

    >I then replaced that with a P4 / 3.0 Ghz which works but runs at
    >1.5 Ghz or 2.0 Ghz depending on BIOS settings.
    >The MB manual says it can use 3 Ghz + and that it should set the

    What motherboard manual?

    >clock speed automatically.

    And the speeds it can set automatically / per processor are?

    Me

    why?, Jul 13, 2009
  4. In message <>, Barry OGrady wrote:
    > Pentium 4 / 3 Ghz CPU type Sl6wk runs at 2 Ghz.
    >
    > The specs are here
    > http://processorfinder.intel.com/Details.aspx?sSpec=SL6WK
    >
    > The computer originally had a Celeron 2.4 Ghz which I first replaced
    > with a Pentium 4/2.4 Ghz. That worked as it should.
    >
    > I then replaced that with a P4 / 3.0 Ghz which works but runs at
    > 1.5 Ghz or 2.0 Ghz depending on BIOS settings.
    > The MB manual says it can use 3 Ghz + and that it should set the
    > clock speed automatically.

    So obviously it didnt. Might be a jumper setting or a BIOS setting you didnt
    discover, yet.

    Keep digging.
    ^_^

    --
    http://www.milksucks.com/pus.asp
    -James Madison

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 13, 2009
  5. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:05:42 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >Barry OGrady wrote:
    >
    >> The MB manual says

    >What is the mobo?

    ECS Elitegroup 651-M.

    I should do a search on that MB.

    Barry OGrady, Jul 14, 2009
  6. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:16:35 GMT, why?

    >On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 02:56:47 +1000, Barry OGrady wrote:
    >
    >>Pentium 4 / 3 Ghz CPU type Sl6wk runs at 2 Ghz.
    >>
    >>The specs are here
    >> http://processorfinder.intel.com/Details.aspx?sSpec=SL6WK
    >>
    >>The computer originally had a Celeron 2.4 Ghz which I first replaced
    >>with a Pentium 4/2.4 Ghz. That worked as it should.

    >No pattern, 2.4Ghz -> 2.4Ghz here?

    From Celeron to Pentium both at 2.4 Ghz.

    >>I then replaced that with a P4 / 3.0 Ghz which works but runs at
    >>1.5 Ghz or 2.0 Ghz depending on BIOS settings.
    >>The MB manual says it can use 3 Ghz + and that it should set the

    >What motherboard manual?

    ECS Elitegroup 651-M.

    >>clock speed automatically.

    >And the speeds it can set automatically / per processor are?

    The manual says;
    The motherboard uses a micro PGA 478-pin socket that has
    the following features;

    Supports 400/533 Mhz frontside bus
    Accomodates Pentium 4 processors at 1.5G/1.6G/1.7G
    ...3.06G and above

    There is no Mhz setting in the BIOS although it does allow
    CPU Host/SDRAM/PCI clock to be set up to
    133/166/33 at which the CPU is reported as 2.0 Ghz.

    The manual says there should be a multiplier setting which is
    CPU dependant. That setting does not show.

    Barry OGrady, Jul 14, 2009
  7. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:34:18 -0400, "Jeff The Drunk, BITCH"
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 02:56:47 +1000, Barry OGrady
    ><god_free_jones>wrote:
    >
    >>Pentium 4 / 3 Ghz CPU type Sl6wk runs at 2 Ghz.
    >>
    >>The specs are here
    >> http://processorfinder.intel.com/Details.aspx?sSpec=SL6WK
    >>
    >>The computer originally had a Celeron 2.4 Ghz which I first replaced
    >>with a Pentium 4/2.4 Ghz. That worked as it should.
    >>
    >>I then replaced that with a P4 / 3.0 Ghz which works but runs at
    >>1.5 Ghz or 2.0 Ghz depending on BIOS settings.
    >>The MB manual says it can use 3 Ghz + and that it should set the
    >>clock speed automatically.

    >Updaet yuor BOIS!

    I'll look into that.

    Barry OGrady, Jul 14, 2009
  8. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 15:09:37 -0600, §ñühw¤£f <>
    wrote:

    >In message <>, Barry OGrady wrote:
    >> Pentium 4 / 3 Ghz CPU type Sl6wk runs at 2 Ghz.
    >>
    >> The specs are here
    >> http://processorfinder.intel.com/Details.aspx?sSpec=SL6WK
    >>
    >> The computer originally had a Celeron 2.4 Ghz which I first replaced
    >> with a Pentium 4/2.4 Ghz. That worked as it should.
    >>
    >> I then replaced that with a P4 / 3.0 Ghz which works but runs at
    >> 1.5 Ghz or 2.0 Ghz depending on BIOS settings.
    >> The MB manual says it can use 3 Ghz + and that it should set the
    >> clock speed automatically.
    >>

    >So obviously it didnt. Might be a jumper setting or a BIOS setting you didnt
    >discover, yet.

    I could look into updating the BIOS.
    Is it possible the P4 I have is too 'new' for the motherboard?

    >Keep digging.

    I will.

    Barry OGrady, Jul 14, 2009
  9. Barry OGrady

    Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:

    >> I then replaced that with a P4 / 3.0 Ghz which works but runs at
    >> 1.5 Ghz or 2.0 Ghz depending on BIOS settings.
    >> The MB manual says it can use 3 Ghz + and that it should set the
    >> clock speed automatically.

    >So obviously it didnt. Might be a jumper setting or a BIOS setting you didnt
    >discover, yet.

    I have a bios jumper that if I change from 1-2 to 2-3 I'm taken into a
    setup mode. My setup is basically just to reset passwords, but you
    might have more useful options: like changing clock speeds :)
    --

    http://genypost.com/2009/07/dont-look-down/

    , Jul 14, 2009
  10. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 03:11:01 -0700, wrote:

    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I then replaced that with a P4 / 3.0 Ghz which works but runs at
    >>> 1.5 Ghz or 2.0 Ghz depending on BIOS settings.
    >>> The MB manual says it can use 3 Ghz + and that it should set the
    >>> clock speed automatically.

    >>So obviously it didnt. Might be a jumper setting or a BIOS setting you didnt
    >>discover, yet.

    >I have a bios jumper that if I change from 1-2 to 2-3 I'm taken into a
    >setup mode. My setup is basically just to reset passwords, but you
    >might have more useful options: like changing clock speeds :)

    At this url
    http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/651M-V_(MS-7005v2.0).html
    it says my CPU is not supported on my MB, so that may be that.

    Barry OGrady, Jul 14, 2009
  11. Barry OGrady

    Mike Easter Guest

    Barry OGrady wrote:

    > http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/651M-V_(MS-7005v2.0).html
    > it says my CPU is not supported on my MB, so that may be that.

    That's not the correct page at that site for your mobo. That is a MSI
    (with a similar number) mobo page.

    Your ECS 651-M mobo is on another page there.
    651-M(V2.0) - Chipset: SiS 651B0 & 962L - CPU socket type: Socket 478

    If you are v1, that is here
    http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ECS/651-M(V1.0).html

    Also, you shouldn't be commenting there if you are reading the wrong
    page. I suggest you add a comment to uncomment (or rather 'revise and
    amend') your (previous) comment.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 14, 2009
  12. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 06:13:04 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >Barry OGrady wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/651M-V_(MS-7005v2.0).html
    >> it says my CPU is not supported on my MB, so that may be that.

    >That's not the correct page at that site for your mobo. That is a MSI
    >(with a similar number) mobo page.
    >
    >Your ECS 651-M mobo is on another page there.
    >651-M(V2.0) - Chipset: SiS 651B0 & 962L - CPU socket type: Socket 478
    >
    >If you are v1, that is here
    >http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ECS/651-M(V1.0).html

    Neither of those sites mention my CPU so it looks like its still
    incompatible.
    Interestingly the MSI MB will not work with 800 Mhz FSB
    processors and my CPU is 800 Mhz.
    No 800 Mhz FSB or > 3 Ghz CPUs are shown for the ECS MBs.

    >Also, you shouldn't be commenting there if you are reading the wrong
    >page. I suggest you add a comment to uncomment (or rather 'revise and
    >amend') your (previous) comment.

    Done.

    Barry OGrady, Jul 14, 2009
  13. Barry OGrady

    Mike Easter Guest

    Barry OGrady wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> Your ECS 651-M mobo is on another page there.
    >> 651-M(V2.0) - Chipset: SiS 651B0 & 962L - CPU socket type: Socket 478

    > No 800 Mhz FSB or > 3 Ghz CPUs are shown for the ECS MBs.

    Nor is that 800 freq supported in the mobo manual - 533 max

    <page 2 Features>
    Processor
    The motherboard uses a mPGA 478-pin socket that has the
    following features:
    .. Accommodates Intel P4 Prescott processors
    .. Supports up to a 533/400 MHz front side bus (FSB)
    .. Supports "Hyper-Threading" technology CPU
    Chipset The SiS651 Northbridge and SiS962/SiS962L Southbridge
    chipsets are based on an innovative and scalable architecture
    with proven reliability and performance.
    .. Support Intel Pentium 4 series CPU with data transfer
    rate of 533/400MHz
    </page 2>

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 14, 2009
  14. Mike Easter <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<>:

    >Barry OGrady wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> Your ECS 651-M mobo is on another page there.
    >>> 651-M(V2.0) - Chipset: SiS 651B0 & 962L - CPU socket type: Socket

    478

    >> No 800 Mhz FSB or > 3 Ghz CPUs are shown for the ECS MBs.

    >Nor is that 800 freq supported in the mobo manual - 533 max
    >
    ><page 2 Features>
    >Processor
    >The motherboard uses a mPGA 478-pin socket that has the
    >following features:
    >. Accommodates Intel P4 Prescott processors
    >. Supports up to a 533/400 MHz front side bus (FSB)
    >. Supports "Hyper-Threading" technology CPU
    >Chipset The SiS651 Northbridge and SiS962/SiS962L Southbridge
    >chipsets are based on an innovative and scalable architecture
    >with proven reliability and performance.
    >. Support Intel Pentium 4 series CPU with data transfer
    >rate of 533/400MHz
    ></page 2>

    Nice catch Mikey...looks like someone needs to get their money back
    from whatever store sold them a CPU that wasnt compatible with their
    mobo :)

    If they're lucky...

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 14, 2009
  15. Barry OGrady

    Mike Easter Guest

    snuhwolf wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> Nor is that 800 freq supported in the mobo manual - 533 max

    > Nice catch Mikey...looks like someone needs to get their money back
    > from whatever store sold them a CPU that wasnt compatible with their
    > mobo :)
    >
    > If they're lucky...

    A merchant isn't (necessarily) responsible for a customer buying a wrong
    part - depending on how the purchase process was accomplished.

    Let's say it was 'face to face'. (If) The customer sez, "I want a
    genuine P4 for my ECS 651-M mobo instead of this celery."

    Then, the merchant is/ could be (if he takes on that task) responsible
    for providing the appropriate cpu upon ascertaining the customer's
    designated target hardware.

    But, if the customer sez, "I want this cpu right here."

    .... then the merchant is only responsible for providing the cpu which was
    ordered in working condition.

    Merchants don't like much to take back cpu/s - maybe they were
    overclocked or their pins bent or wrong voltaged or run hot or otherwise
    damaged.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 14, 2009
  16. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 07:36:00 -0700, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:

    >snuhwolf wrote:
    >> Mike Easter

    >>> Nor is that 800 freq supported in the mobo manual - 533 max

    >> Nice catch Mikey...looks like someone needs to get their money back
    >> from whatever store sold them a CPU that wasnt compatible with their
    >> mobo :)
    >>
    >> If they're lucky...

    >A merchant isn't (necessarily) responsible for a customer buying a wrong
    >part - depending on how the purchase process was accomplished.
    >
    >Let's say it was 'face to face'. (If) The customer sez, "I want a
    >genuine P4 for my ECS 651-M mobo instead of this celery."
    >
    >Then, the merchant is/ could be (if he takes on that task) responsible
    >for providing the appropriate cpu upon ascertaining the customer's
    >designated target hardware.
    >
    >But, if the customer sez, "I want this cpu right here."
    >
    >... then the merchant is only responsible for providing the cpu which was
    >ordered in working condition.
    >
    >Merchants don't like much to take back cpu/s - maybe they were
    >overclocked or their pins bent or wrong voltaged or run hot or otherwise
    >damaged.

    In this case the fault is entirely mine. The online auction site offered no
    guarantees.

    At least I know the CPU works.

    >--
    >Mike Easter