    painted with some kind of silver paint. Silver paint is generally not
    as durable as the black paint used on DSLRs so I would treat this
    camera carefully.
    RichA, Feb 8, 2011

  2. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Feb 8, 2:48 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2011-02-08 11:43:43 -0800, RichA <> said:
    >
    > > As far as I know, you cannot anodize cast magnesium.  Unlike the old
    > > brass top plates of SLRs, all metal DSLRs today are cast from
    > > magnesium, at least the visible parts.  Therefore, the camera must be
    > > painted with some kind of silver paint.  Silver paint is generally not
    > > as durable as the black paint used on DSLRs so I would treat this
    > > camera carefully.

    > Just handle it as if it were coated in plastic.

    Doubtful any copies will make it outside Japan.
    Rich, Feb 8, 2011

  3. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 12:22:38 -0800 (PST), Rich <>
    wrote:

    >On Feb 8, 2:48 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >> On 2011-02-08 11:43:43 -0800, RichA <> said:
    >>
    >> > As far as I know, you cannot anodize cast magnesium.  Unlike the old
    >> > brass top plates of SLRs, all metal DSLRs today are cast from
    >> > magnesium, at least the visible parts.  Therefore, the camera must be
    >> > painted with some kind of silver paint.  Silver paint is generally not
    >> > as durable as the black paint used on DSLRs so I would treat this
    >> > camera carefully.

    >> Just handle it as if it were coated in plastic.

    >Doubtful any copies will make it outside Japan.

    It's listed for sale on the US site.
    http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/
    John A., Feb 8, 2011
  4. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 15:31:42 -0500, John A. <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 12:22:38 -0800 (PST), Rich <>
    >wrote:

    >>> Just handle it as if it were coated in plastic.

    >>Doubtful any copies will make it outside Japan.

    >It's listed for sale on the US site.
    >http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/

    Also three Limited silver lenses.
    http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/
    John A., Feb 8, 2011
  5. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Feb 8, 3:31 pm, John A. <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 12:22:38 -0800 (PST), Rich <>
    > wrote:

    > >> Just handle it as if it were coated in plastic.

    > >Doubtful any copies will make it outside Japan.

    > It's listed for sale on the US site.http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/

    That's good. They didn't release the modified grip for the K20D
    outside Japan.
    Rich, Feb 8, 2011
  6. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 09:53:21 +1300, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 11:43:43 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>As far as I know, you cannot anodize cast magnesium. Unlike the old
    >>brass top plates of SLRs, all metal DSLRs today are cast from
    >>magnesium, at least the visible parts. Therefore, the camera must be
    >>painted with some kind of silver paint. Silver paint is generally not
    >>as durable as the black paint used on DSLRs so I would treat this
    >>camera carefully.

    >Magnesium can be both anodised and electroplated (though not both at
    >the same time).
    >
    >See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing#Anodized_magnesium
    >
    >and http://www.epi.com/pages/plating-on-magnesium
    >There are other processes.

    Judging from the pics on Pentax's K5 page at least some of the exposed
    parts are stainless steel.
    John A., Feb 9, 2011
  7. RichA

    dj_nme Guest

    On 10/02/2011 10:06 AM, John A. wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 09:53:21 +1300, Eric Stevens
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 11:43:43 -0800 (PST), RichA<>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> As far as I know, you cannot anodize cast magnesium. Unlike the old
    >>> brass top plates of SLRs, all metal DSLRs today are cast from
    >>> magnesium, at least the visible parts. Therefore, the camera must be
    >>> painted with some kind of silver paint. Silver paint is generally not
    >>> as durable as the black paint used on DSLRs so I would treat this
    >>> camera carefully.

    >> Magnesium can be both anodised and electroplated (though not both at
    >> the same time).
    >>
    >> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing#Anodized_magnesium
    >>
    >> and http://www.epi.com/pages/plating-on-magnesium
    >> There are other processes.

    > Judging from the pics on Pentax's K5 page at least some of the exposed
    > parts are stainless steel.

    At least the strap lugs would be stainless, as they are part of the
    "skeleton" or frame of the camera, which is made from stainless steel.
    Most of the Pentax DSLR cameras are built that way.
    dj_nme, Feb 10, 2011
  8. RichA

    Peter N Guest

    On 2/9/2011 3:53 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 11:43:43 -0800 (PST), RichA<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> As far as I know, you cannot anodize cast magnesium. Unlike the old
    >> brass top plates of SLRs, all metal DSLRs today are cast from
    >> magnesium, at least the visible parts. Therefore, the camera must be
    >> painted with some kind of silver paint. Silver paint is generally not
    >> as durable as the black paint used on DSLRs so I would treat this
    >> camera carefully.

    > Magnesium can be both anodised and electroplated (though not both at
    > the same time).
    >
    > See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing#Anodized_magnesium
    >
    > and http://www.epi.com/pages/plating-on-magnesium
    > There are other processes.