    choice?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    mike, Apr 11, 2004

  2. mike

    Joe Guest

    On 04/11/2004 06:38 AM, mike said:
    > I am looking to buy a small digital camera which can also go in a
    > housing and take reasonable underwater pics. A little research has
    > given me the following options and I'd really appreciate some advice
    > as I know little about cameras.
    >
    > The new Pentax Optio S4i (or just the S4), the Canon PowerShotS500 or
    > Minolta DiMAGE Xg.
    >
    > I need to take close up pics so zoom/short focus is helpful and if
    > possible use the camera underwater with a seperate flash ( to reduce
    > 'backscatter' which I believe comes if the flash is too close to the
    > aperture).
    > Have you any experience of the pros and cons and help me make the best
    > choice?
    > Thanks,
    > Mike

    I have the Canon s500, and really like it. I had the s230 and liked
    it so much that I didn't really shop other brands when the s500 came
    out. (The s500 is basically the same camera but 5MP instead of 3).

    I use the camera for a lot of closeup photography - see the flowers
    sections on my web page for examples: http://www.joekaz.net/photos/
    And keep in mind they were done with the s230 - the s500 would look
    about the same, but clearer in big enlargements.

    The thing that sold me on the s230/s500 was great quality at a small
    size. The compact size was important to me so I could take the
    camera with me almost anywhere. Sometimes I miss manual controls,
    especially manual focus for the closeups, but there are always
    tradeoffs for a compact size. And you do have some control over the
    autofocus, exposure control, and white balance. Overall, it's a
    great camera.

    --
    Joe
    http://www.joekaz.net/
    Joe, Apr 11, 2004

  3. mike

    mike Guest

    Thanks for the info on the CanonS500.The close-ups look good.
    I wonder if anyone can tell me for certain if Canon make a housing for
    using the S500 camera underwater?
    Mike

    mike, Apr 12, 2004
  4. mike

    mike Guest

    I have just read some good things about the Canon S500.....but does it
    have an underwater housing and does anyone know how it performs in the
    below the waves????

    mike, Apr 14, 2004
  5. mike

    Joe Guest

    On 04/13/2004 07:19 PM, mike said:
    > I have just read some good things about the Canon S500.....but does it
    > have an underwater housing and does anyone know how it performs in the
    > below the waves????
    > Mike

    Yes it does. Search amazon.com for WP-DC800 and you'll find it
    there. I don't have it, so can't comment on how it performs.

    Joe, Apr 14, 2004
  6. mike

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    [posted and mailed]

    (mike) wrote in

    > I have just read some good things about the Canon S500.....but does it
    > have an underwater housing and does anyone know how it performs in the
    > below the waves????
    > Mike

    Yes there is an underwater housing. Here are some related links:

    http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/uwphoto/index-e.html
    http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=537

    Fuzzy Logic, Apr 14, 2004