Pentax rumours become truth: *istDL to come as low budget model

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hannes S., Jun 1, 2005.

  1. Hannes S.

    Hannes S. Guest

    Hannes S., Jun 1, 2005

  2. Hannes S.

    Bob Williams Guest

    Bob Williams, Jun 1, 2005

  3. Hannes S.

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Bob Williams <> wrote:

    > Hannes S. wrote:
    > > Found today on a german website:
    > >
    > > http://www.digifotografen.de/index.php?id=0,62,0,0,1,0
    > >
    > > Greets, Johannes.
    > >

    > For those of us who are linguistically challenged, could you give us a
    > short synopsis in 100 words or less?

    Pentax announed an *ist DL digital SLR, which is basically the DS with a
    'pentamirror' instead of a prism, a bigger screen, and a few hundred
    dollars cheaper.

    Paul Mitchum, Jun 1, 2005
  4. Hannes S.

    Guest

    Paul wrote:
    >Pentax announed an *ist DL digital SLR, >which is basically the DS with a
    >'pentamirror' instead of a prism, a bigger >screen, and a few hundred
    >dollars cheaper.

    "Budget" digicams will always have marketing problems. Just too
    many of the barely-used-but-really-depreciated top-end ones on eBay at
    any given time competing with them.

    Save on gas! Shop the http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

    , Jun 1, 2005
  5. Hannes S.

    Deep Reset Guest

    Deep Reset, Jun 1, 2005
  6. Hannes S.

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Paul wrote:
    > >Pentax announed an *ist DL digital SLR, >which is basically the DS with a
    > >'pentamirror' instead of a prism, a bigger >screen, and a few hundred
    > >dollars cheaper.

    > "Budget" digicams will always have marketing problems.

    $600 without lens isn't 'budget.'

    > Just too many of the barely-used-but-really-depreciated top-end ones on
    > eBay at any given time competing with them.

    *shrug*

    I really don't like ebay. You can't really find what you want and be
    sure of getting it. I'd rather be taking pictures than sniping an item.

    Paul Mitchum, Jun 1, 2005
  7. Hannes S.

    Guest

    Paul quoted me:
    >> "Budget" digicams will always have marketing problems.

    and replied:
    >$600 without lens isn't 'budget.'

    For a digital SLR, it is. Are there any other new-in-box digital
    SLRs retailing at $600 now? Pentax is saying no!
    Pentax, though, will fast find competing with eBay a real problem in
    that price range. There's ALWAYS a glut of barely-used digicams some
    guy stepped up to the latest-and-greatest from on eBay. It's just like
    how eBay has made it impossible for department stores to keep prices up
    anymore.

    No $4 to park! No $6 admission!
    http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

    , Jun 2, 2005
  8. Hannes S.

    Darrell Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Paul quoted me:
    >>> "Budget" digicams will always have marketing problems.

    > and replied:
    >>$600 without lens isn't 'budget.'

    > For a digital SLR, it is. Are there any other new-in-box digital
    > SLRs retailing at $600 now? Pentax is saying no!
    > Pentax, though, will fast find competing with eBay a real problem in
    > that price range. There's ALWAYS a glut of barely-used digicams some
    > guy stepped up to the latest-and-greatest from on eBay. It's just like
    > how eBay has made it impossible for department stores to keep prices up
    > anymore.

    The kit lens only adds CDN $100 to the *ist DS, so the *ist DL will be CDN
    $800 vs. CDN $1200.

    Darrell, Jun 2, 2005
  9. Hannes S.

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Paul quoted me:
    > > > "Budget" digicams will always have marketing problems.

    > and replied:
    > > $600 without lens isn't 'budget.'

    > For a digital SLR, it is.

    A $600 DSLR isn't a budget digicam.

    > Pentax, though, will fast find competing with eBay a real problem in that
    > price range. There's ALWAYS a glut of barely-used digicams some guy
    > stepped up to the latest-and-greatest from on eBay. It's just like how
    > eBay has made it impossible for department stores to keep prices up
    > anymore.

    Look, I don't have any problem with you drumming up business for
    yourself, but your point doesn't make any sense. *Every* camera
    manufacturer in *every* segment of the market has *always* had to
    compete with used equipment.

    Paul Mitchum, Jun 2, 2005
  10. Hannes S.

    Pete D Guest

    "Deep Reset" <> wrote in message
    > "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Hannes S. wrote:
    >>> Found today on a german website:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.digifotografen.de/index.php?id=0,62,0,0,1,0
    >>>
    >>> Greets, Johannes.
    >>>

    >> For those of us who are linguistically challenged, could you give us a
    >> short synopsis in 100 words or less?
    >> Bob Williams

    > http://www.pentaximaging.com/products/product_details/digital_camera--*ist_Dl/

    Not bad specs for a cheapy!

    Pete D, Jun 2, 2005
  11. Hannes S.

    Guest

    Paul quoted me:
    > Pentax, though, will fast find competing with eBay a real problem in that
    > price range. There's ALWAYS a glut of barely-used digicams some guy
    > stepped up to the latest-and-greatest from on eBay. It's just like how
    > eBay has made it impossible for department stores to keep prices up
    > anymore.

    and replied:
    >>Look, I don't have any problem with you drumming up business for
    >>yourself, but your point doesn't make any sense. *Every* camera
    >>manufacturer in *every* segment of the market has *always* had to
    >>compete with used equipment.

    Not like since eBay! In fact, most retailers - of ALL kinds - are
    finding keeping up prices increasingly impossible in the past several
    years, due to the huge amount of barely-used stuff of ALL kinds on
    eBay. From blouses to motorcycle parts, it's all there - at low
    prices.
    And that's aside from NEW stuff - at very attractive prices from
    cyberspace stores that don't have to pay high mall rent or even hire
    employees.

    See the http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

    , Jun 2, 2005
  12. Hannes S.

    Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > Hannes S. wrote:
    > > Found today on a german website:
    > >
    > > http://www.digifotografen.de/index.php?id=0,62,0,0,1,0
    > >
    > > Greets, Johannes.
    > >

    > For those of us who are linguistically challenged, could you give us a
    > short synopsis in 100 words or less?
    > Bob Williams

    Summary of changes (compared to the *ist DS)

    * Auto ISO
    * 3-area AF (*ist DS was 11 area)
    * Wide / spot AF
    * Three level 'soft' digital filter
    * Continuous shooting buffer reduced to 5 / 3 images (JPEG / RAW)
    * Penta-mirror viewfinder instead of Penta-prism, 0.82x
    magnification
    * Natural-Bright-Matte II focusing screen
    * Larger 2.5" LCD monitor
    * Removal of high speed sync flash
    * Two new languages: Swedish, Dutch
    * Slightly lighter (575g vs. 605g)