Pentax Optio S40 Excessive Battery Usage

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tom, May 24, 2004.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Just bought the Pentax S40 (which I may return). The fact that
    standard AA alkaline batteries could be used (esp. in a pinch) was a
    drawing card.

    The problem is that the AA alkaline batteries become depleted
    extremely quickly after taking only 15-20 shots (tried 3 sets). LCD on
    and only occasional flash. Manual says batteries should provide 50
    shots with 50% flash.

    I measured the voltage on these "depleted" batteries and found it to
    be 1.46/1.47 volts dc. (new they measure about 1.5 volts). For most
    electronic usage these batteries would still have plenty of life left.

    Has anyone else had a problem with battery usage. I'm not sure if this
    is a problem specific with this camera. Don't want to invest in
    lithium or rechargeable nicad AA batteries if the camera doesn't live
    up to its published battery life specs.

    Tom, May 24, 2004

  2. Tom

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > Just bought the Pentax S40 (which I may return). The fact that
    > standard AA alkaline batteries could be used (esp. in a pinch) was a
    > drawing card.
    >
    > The problem is that the AA alkaline batteries become depleted
    > extremely quickly after taking only 15-20 shots (tried 3 sets). LCD on
    > and only occasional flash. Manual says batteries should provide 50
    > shots with 50% flash.
    >
    > I measured the voltage on these "depleted" batteries and found it to
    > be 1.46/1.47 volts dc. (new they measure about 1.5 volts). For most
    > electronic usage these batteries would still have plenty of life left.
    >
    > Has anyone else had a problem with battery usage. I'm not sure if this
    > is a problem specific with this camera. Don't want to invest in
    > lithium or rechargeable nicad AA batteries if the camera doesn't live
    > up to its published battery life specs.

    Hi Tom...

    Treat yourself to a set of NiMh batteries (Nickel metal hydride,
    NOT nickel cadmium) and a charger. You'll be amazed at how
    inexpensive they are, and how incredibly much longer they
    last than alkalines.

    And don't throw away those alkalines that you have used;
    there's still more than plenty left in them for use in
    clocks, radios, flashlights, the kids toys, etc.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, May 24, 2004

  3. Tom wrote:
    > Just bought the Pentax S40 (which I may return). The fact that
    > standard AA alkaline batteries could be used (esp. in a pinch) was a
    > drawing card.

    Alkaline batteries are a poor choice for any digital camera. They just
    don't hold up. They work but only for a short while.

    > The problem is that the AA alkaline batteries become depleted
    > extremely quickly after taking only 15-20 shots (tried 3 sets). LCD on
    > and only occasional flash. Manual says batteries should provide 50
    > shots with 50% flash.
    >
    > I measured the voltage on these "depleted" batteries and found it to
    > be 1.46/1.47 volts dc. (new they measure about 1.5 volts). For most
    > electronic usage these batteries would still have plenty of life left.

    Measuring static voltage is not much good for a digital camera. A bad
    alkaline may read higher static voltage than a good freshly charged NiMh
    battery, yet the NiMh will work fine.

    > Has anyone else had a problem with battery usage. I'm not sure if this
    > is a problem specific with this camera. Don't want to invest in
    > lithium or rechargeable nicad AA batteries if the camera doesn't live
    > up to its published battery life specs.

    None of the above. We have all earned (and I'll bet your manual
    suggest) NiMh are the way to go.

    Get a set of NiMh with a smart charger. Smart chargers charge a number
    of cells at the same time, but the customize the charge for each cell.
    Normally they have an indicator light for each cell. The non-smart chargers
    generally have a light for each pair of cells.

    It takes a couple of cycles for the NiMh cells to get full capacity. If
    after using them and re-charging them a few time, you still are not getting
    the expected results, consider returning the camera. Some cameras have been
    known to eat batteries or have the low battery trigger set too sensitive.
    Having the camera replaced or fixed will take care of that.

    I'm betting on it being nothing more than the wrong type of batteries.
    Alks are ok for emergencies, but not everyday use.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, May 24, 2004
  4. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thanks for the replies. I am in the process of using rechageable 2100
    ma NiMH batteries and will see how they work out.
    Tom

    Tom, May 26, 2004
  5. Tom

    jjww Guest

    Hi,
    This week a I bought a Pentax Optio S40 too and I´m getting the same
    problem.

    Using NiMH batteries the problem solved?

    Thanks
    JW

    jjww, Dec 25, 2004
  6. Tom

    Guest

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 10:17:08 -0500, "jjww" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >This week a I bought a Pentax Optio S40 too and I´m getting the same
    >problem.
    >
    >Using NiMH batteries the problem solved?
    >
    >Thanks
    >JW

    There's also a lithium-ion option for the S40. It's the CR-V3
    Lithium-ion Battery. Lithium-ion has some advantages over NiMH,
    though I don't off the top of my head remember what they are.

    , Dec 25, 2004