    issue with these cameras (lens jammed when the camera was powered off).

    End original post.

    Please reply to NG only.
    High Sierra, Jan 5, 2004

  2. High Sierra

    Brad Guest

    In article <h3iKb.1327$>,
    said...

    > I received a Pentax Option 450 in September (gift) and would be
    > interested in hearing views of other owners.
    >
    > I have been very satisfied with the results (images) and am happy with
    > the general layout, ease of use, functionality etc.
    >
    > Unfortunately I had to return the camera to Pentax in November for
    > repairs and just received in on Dec 24th. I'm wondering if this is an
    > issue with these cameras (lens jammed when the camera was powered off).

    I don't own either of those cameras, but I did have a compact Fuji with an
    extending lens like that and it did jam from time to time. Any decent
    camera shop should be able to un-jam it quickly and cheaply without the
    long wait to get 'free' warranty work. I fixed it myself a few times, but
    after almost 4 years it got stuck for good so I bought a new Canon S400.
    Brad, Jan 5, 2004

  3. High Sierra

    High Sierra Guest

    Brad wrote:
    > In article <h3iKb.1327$>,
    > said...
    >

    >>I received a Pentax Option 450 in September (gift) and would be
    >>interested in hearing views of other owners.
    >>
    >>I have been very satisfied with the results (images) and am happy with
    >>the general layout, ease of use, functionality etc.
    >>
    >>Unfortunately I had to return the camera to Pentax in November for
    >>repairs and just received in on Dec 24th. I'm wondering if this is an
    >>issue with these cameras (lens jammed when the camera was powered off).

    > I don't own either of those cameras, but I did have a compact Fuji with an
    > extending lens like that and it did jam from time to time. Any decent
    > camera shop should be able to un-jam it quickly and cheaply without the
    > long wait to get 'free' warranty work. I fixed it myself a few times, but
    > after almost 4 years it got stuck for good so I bought a new Canon S400.

    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the issue with mine appears to
    have been internal. The lense retracted almost flush with the body, then
    the camera just froze. I could see no way to frig with it, so not
    wanting to damage it further I figured returning it for warranty work
    was my best option.

    I'm hoping this isn't a design flaw with these cameras. Thats why
    hearing from owners who have/haven't had problems is what I posted for.
    High Sierra, Jan 6, 2004
  4. High Sierra

    Sue g Guest

    High Sierra <> wrote in

    > Brad wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <h3iKb.1327$>,
    >> said...

    > I'm hoping this isn't a design flaw with these cameras. Thats why
    > hearing from owners who have/haven't had problems is what I posted
    > for.

    I have had a Pentax Optio 550 for the same length of time and have been
    using it almost daily and no problems like this so far (touch wood!)
    Hopefully it was just an easily fixed glitch and you won't have any more problems.
    I have been really pleased with the features and ease of use and have particularly
    been impressed by the Macro shooting capabilities. Not quite so pleased with the
    night shooting and shutter lag but I can live with it. Mine was suspiciously cheap
    for such a well-featured 5mp camera and I have since been only seeing the 555
    on sale which apparently improved some things like shutter lag. I would be interested in
    seeing more Pentax Optio users opinions on their cameras.
    Sue G
    Sue g, Jan 6, 2004
  5. High Sierra

    High Sierra Guest

    Sue g wrote:

    > High Sierra <> wrote in
    >

    >>Brad wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article
    >>><h3iKb.1327$>,
    >>> said...

    >> I'm hoping this isn't a design flaw with these cameras. Thats why
    >>hearing from owners who have/haven't had problems is what I posted
    >>for.

    > I have had a Pentax Optio 550 for the same length of time and have been
    > using it almost daily and no problems like this so far (touch wood!)
    > Hopefully it was just an easily fixed glitch and you won't have any more problems.
    > I have been really pleased with the features and ease of use and have particularly
    > been impressed by the Macro shooting capabilities. Not quite so pleased with the
    > night shooting and shutter lag but I can live with it. Mine was suspiciously cheap
    > for such a well-featured 5mp camera and I have since been only seeing the 555
    > on sale which apparently improved some things like shutter lag. I would be interested in
    > seeing more Pentax Optio users opinions on their cameras.
    > Sue G

    Thanks for the feedback. I hope you have no problems.
    High Sierra, Jan 6, 2004