    waterproof compact camera, looks a bit like the Minolta Dimage with an
    internal zoom lens. The specs sheet looks pretty good, but it doesn't
    seem to be reviewed anywhere yet.
    Spencer Basil, Oct 1, 2003

  2. Spencer Basil <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Has anybody got any experience with this camera? It's a nice little
    > waterproof compact camera, looks a bit like the Minolta Dimage with an
    > internal zoom lens. The specs sheet looks pretty good, but it doesn't
    > seem to be reviewed anywhere yet.

    Pentax 33WR digital camera, 3.2 MP, JIS class 7 water resistant
    camera.

    I purchased 33WR specifically for taking with me on kayak trips; it
    will be used for other purposes as well of course. But, my primary
    need was for a small, water resistant camera that took good pictures.
    Previously to owning the 33WR, I had an Olympus C –4000 camera. My
    first few days with the 33WR were a little concerning. The camera
    shipped with 2 alkaline batteries that were used up very quickly.
    Using the default camera settings, the alkaline batteries lasted for
    only about twenty-five shots. Thinking the batteries must have been
    bad I used another set that I knew were good, and found that they
    lasted again for only about twenty five pictures. According to the
    manual, I should be getting a lot more photos with the alkaline
    batteries (according to the undocumented settings established by
    Pentax). I switched to NiCad batteries and changed my recording
    settings and have gotten much better results. The default setting
    that the camera ships with writes 2.0 MB files, which will eat up a
    lot of battery. I think Pentax really blew it by shipping the camera
    with the default settings as they were and with shipping the camera
    with alkaline batteries.

    I find the camera body to be a very easy to manage size. It fits in
    my hand well and should be easy to take on kayaking trips (where space
    is at a premium). The camera appears well made with my only complaint
    being no protection for the lens other than that the lens is recessed
    into the camera body by a millimeter or two. Based on how I will use
    the camera, I think I will be satisfied without a lens cover. The
    camera will be in a case unless I am taking pictures. I find the
    quality of the LCD to be very good, comparable to the Olympus C-4000.
    I find the camera controls much easier to understand than the C-4000.
    I really like how easily and quickly I can set this camera up for
    different photos. The menu system makes sense and is easy to
    navigate. The camera is nearly silent in its operation; as a result,
    sound effects can be used for things like, shutter sound, startup
    sound, etc. Unfortunately, I don't like the three sounds that are
    available; one of the sounds is a cat meowing. I don't feel that the
    sounds are necessary so I have them turned off.

    To help me better evaluate this camera I setup three main test shots,
    a close up of flowers, a portrait of my dog, and a landscape with a
    bridge over water. I was looking for specific details in these
    pictures (which I won't elaborate on). Bottom line is, I am very
    happy with the results. I feel that they are as good as pictures
    taken with my Olympus C-4000 4.0 MP camera.

    I recommend this camera for anyone looking for a water resistant
    digital camera in this price range. It will be really important to
    find a small, perfectly fitting case for this camera especially since
    it does not have any protection for the lens. I am hoping that Pentax
    will make a case specifically for this camera.

    David
    David Johnson, Oct 14, 2003