Pentax K5 finally overcomes a nagging problem Pentax has had

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Dec 18, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Anyone who has shot a Pentax (K10, K20) might have noticed a small
    problem with chromatic aberration. The cameras imparted a slight,
    thin blue fringe on shots where there were light-dark sharp
    transitions, such as the edge of a building against the sky. This
    wasn't due to the lenses. I actually used M42 mount lenses at less
    than infinity (about 3ft) on Nikon and Pentax bodies and the Nikon
    bodies didn't produce the effect. It had to do, I would guess with
    the micro lenses on the sensors, but there is no way to be sure. The
    problem could be handled conventionally with chromatic reduction tools
    in post-processing so it was never a major issue, just an annoying
    one. However, the tests of the K5 (I never checked out the K7 owing
    to sensor noise) seem to indicate this issue might have been
    resolved. I don't see the same issue here, with the edge of the coin
    and the white surface. The Nikon looks worse, the Olympus is the
    least effected.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk5/page20.asp

    RichA, Dec 18, 2010