    Steve's digicams press release was pulled from site - but can be d/l
    here (until he gets a cease and desist notice):
    http://ericcloninger.com/albums/DPRShots/StevesK10DRelease.pdf
    frederick, Sep 13, 2006

  2. frederick

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Paul Rubin, Sep 13, 2006

  3. frederick

    frederick Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > frederick <> writes:
    >> Steve's digicams press release was pulled from site - but can be d/l
    >> here (until he gets a cease and desist notice):
    >> http://ericcloninger.com/albums/DPRShots/StevesK10DRelease.pdf

    > It claims to use a 22-bit A-D converter. Who are they trying to kid?

    More likely just a Steve's Digicams typo.
    frederick, Sep 13, 2006
  4. frederick

    Paul Rubin Guest

    frederick <> writes:
    > More likely just a Steve's Digicams typo.

    Definitely not a Steve's Digicams typo. Maybe a typo that occurred
    further upstream in the marketroid process, after which the press
    release writer went berserk with it:

    Newly developed A/D converter for truthful image data conversion

    The K10D incorporates a high-performance A/D converter, which
    faithfully converts the analog data collected by the CCD image sensor
    into digital data. With the highest resolving power (22 bits, or 4.2
    million gradations) among all existing digital cameras, it offers a
    digital-conversion capacity 1,024 times greater than conventional
    12-bit, 4,096-gradation A/D converters.

    The above paragraph is of course completely insane.
    Paul Rubin, Sep 13, 2006
  5. frederick

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    frederick <> wrote:

    > 10mp / 3fps sensor. New in-camera anti-shake system (allows for lens
    > focal length, adjusts for vert. horiz. rotational shake - manual input
    > of lens focal length possible when using old lenses.) Dust removal.
    > Weather sealed. ~100,000 actuation rated shutter. 96% FOV / 0.95
    > magnification viewfinder (penta-mirror).
    > LiIon batteries - optional vertical grip. List price is supposed to be
    > $US899 for body.
    > Plenty of choice now in 10mp <$1000 dslrs.
    > 400d / d80 / a100 / K10d
    >
    > Steve's digicams press release was pulled from site - but can be d/l
    > here (until he gets a cease and desist notice):
    > http://ericcloninger.com/albums/DPRShots/StevesK10DRelease.pdf

    I'm jazzed about everything but the penta-mirror. Maybe there'll be a
    K11d with a pentaprism.

    The 70mm pancake lens looks nice, too.
    Paul Mitchum, Sep 13, 2006
  6. frederick

    frederick Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > frederick <> writes:
    >> More likely just a Steve's Digicams typo.

    > Definitely not a Steve's Digicams typo. Maybe a typo that occurred
    > further upstream in the marketroid process, after which the press
    > release writer went berserk with it:
    >
    > Newly developed A/D converter for truthful image data conversion
    >
    > The K10D incorporates a high-performance A/D converter, which
    > faithfully converts the analog data collected by the CCD image sensor
    > into digital data. With the highest resolving power (22 bits, or 4.2
    > million gradations) among all existing digital cameras, it offers a
    > digital-conversion capacity 1,024 times greater than conventional
    > 12-bit, 4,096-gradation A/D converters.
    >
    > The above paragraph is of course completely insane.

    Oh - I didn't see all that - I agree. However at $899 for the general
    feature set for this camera, the marketroids seem to have done a very
    good job in other ways. I can't see any of these new dslr prices
    holding - even at the low 400d level - after the early adopters (aka
    real beta tester) market has been saturated and stock is sitting on the
    shelf.
    frederick, Sep 13, 2006
  7. frederick

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:

    > frederick <> writes:
    > > More likely just a Steve's Digicams typo.

    > Definitely not a Steve's Digicams typo. Maybe a typo that occurred
    > further upstream in the marketroid process, after which the press
    > release writer went berserk with it:
    >
    > Newly developed A/D converter for truthful image data conversion
    >
    > The K10D incorporates a high-performance A/D converter, which
    > faithfully converts the analog data collected by the CCD image sensor
    > into digital data. With the highest resolving power (22 bits, or 4.2
    > million gradations) among all existing digital cameras, it offers a
    > digital-conversion capacity 1,024 times greater than conventional
    > 12-bit, 4,096-gradation A/D converters.
    >
    > The above paragraph is of course completely insane.

    The converter is 22-bit, the sensor is 12-bit. This is good, for obvious
    reasons. However, it leads to completely true but potentially-misleading
    copy as above.

    Note also that the camera can write DNG files. Yay open standards.
    Paul Mitchum, Sep 13, 2006
  8. frederick

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    frederick <> wrote:

    > Paul Rubin wrote:
    > > frederick <> writes:
    > >> More likely just a Steve's Digicams typo.

    > > Definitely not a Steve's Digicams typo. Maybe a typo that occurred
    > > further upstream in the marketroid process, after which the press
    > > release writer went berserk with it:
    > >
    > > Newly developed A/D converter for truthful image data conversion
    > >
    > > The K10D incorporates a high-performance A/D converter, which
    > > faithfully converts the analog data collected by the CCD image sensor
    > > into digital data. With the highest resolving power (22 bits, or 4.2
    > > million gradations) among all existing digital cameras, it offers a
    > > digital-conversion capacity 1,024 times greater than conventional
    > > 12-bit, 4,096-gradation A/D converters.
    > >
    > > The above paragraph is of course completely insane.

    > Oh - I didn't see all that - I agree. However at $899 for the general
    > feature set for this camera, the marketroids seem to have done a very
    > good job in other ways. I can't see any of these new dslr prices
    > holding - even at the low 400d level - after the early adopters (aka
    > real beta tester) market has been saturated and stock is sitting on the
    > shelf.

    Then it's just time to rebrand it as Samsung. :)
    Paul Mitchum, Sep 13, 2006
  9. frederick

    Pete D Guest

    "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message
    > frederick <> wrote:
    >
    >> 10mp / 3fps sensor. New in-camera anti-shake system (allows for lens
    >> focal length, adjusts for vert. horiz. rotational shake - manual input
    >> of lens focal length possible when using old lenses.) Dust removal.
    >> Weather sealed. ~100,000 actuation rated shutter. 96% FOV / 0.95
    >> magnification viewfinder (penta-mirror).
    >> LiIon batteries - optional vertical grip. List price is supposed to be
    >> $US899 for body.
    >> Plenty of choice now in 10mp <$1000 dslrs.
    >> 400d / d80 / a100 / K10d

    Mmmm, I am thinking that the the only reason the A100 is in this list is
    that it is 10MP, does not look up to par really.

    >> Steve's digicams press release was pulled from site - but can be d/l
    >> here (until he gets a cease and desist notice):
    >> http://ericcloninger.com/albums/DPRShots/StevesK10DRelease.pdf

    > I'm jazzed about everything but the penta-mirror. Maybe there'll be a
    > K11d with a pentaprism.
    >
    > The 70mm pancake lens looks nice, too.

    I am pretty sure that it will be a Penta Prism, expect to see a 16-50mm F2.8
    as well.
    Pete D, Sep 13, 2006
  10. frederick

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Pete D <> wrote:

    > "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message
    > > frederick <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> 10mp / 3fps sensor. New in-camera anti-shake system (allows for lens
    > >> focal length, adjusts for vert. horiz. rotational shake - manual input
    > >> of lens focal length possible when using old lenses.) Dust removal.
    > >> Weather sealed. ~100,000 actuation rated shutter. 96% FOV / 0.95
    > >> magnification viewfinder (penta-mirror).
    > >> LiIon batteries - optional vertical grip. List price is supposed to be
    > >> $US899 for body.
    > >> Plenty of choice now in 10mp <$1000 dslrs.
    > >> 400d / d80 / a100 / K10d

    > Mmmm, I am thinking that the the only reason the A100 is in this list is
    > that it is 10MP, does not look up to par really.
    >

    > >> Steve's digicams press release was pulled from site - but can be d/l
    > >> here (until he gets a cease and desist notice):
    > >> http://ericcloninger.com/albums/DPRShots/StevesK10DRelease.pdf

    > > I'm jazzed about everything but the penta-mirror. Maybe there'll be a
    > > K11d with a pentaprism.
    > >
    > > The 70mm pancake lens looks nice, too.

    > I am pretty sure that it will be a Penta Prism,

    The linked article says it's a penta-mirror.

    > expect to see a 16-50mm F2.8 as well.

    Neeto.
    Paul Mitchum, Sep 13, 2006
  11. frederick

    > Pete D <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message

    >> Mmmm, I am thinking that the the only reason the A100 is in this list is
    >> that it is 10MP, does not look up to par really.

    >> > I'm jazzed about everything but the penta-mirror. Maybe there'll be a
    >> > K11d with a pentaprism.
    >> >
    >> > The 70mm pancake lens looks nice, too.

    >> I am pretty sure that it will be a Penta Prism,

    > The linked article says it's a penta-mirror.
    >
    >> expect to see a 16-50mm F2.8 as well.

    > Neeto.

    I would be a little sad if it is a penta mirror but I am sure that if it is
    then Pentax will have it working as well as it is possible to have a penta
    mirror working. I just checked through the info I had been forwarded but it
    does not mention the viewfinder. I am pleased that they are retaining the
    LCD screen on top unlike the 400D. The battery grip is truly a work of art
    and the finish on the camera is just superb. The dual wheels will take a
    little getting used to after my DS but I will adapt. Not sure if the change
    to lithium batteries is good or bad and I have no info on whether the
    battery grip will accept AA's but I hope so.
    Pete D, Sep 13, 2006
  12. frederick

    Sander Guest

    Paul Mitchum wrote:

    > The linked article says it's a penta-mirror.

    The linked article says its a prism:

    "Bright, clear viewfinder

    Featuring a glass pentaprism, the K10D’s viewfinder offers a 96-percent
    field of view and a 0.95-times magnification for easy viewing of the
    subject and effortless confirmation of focus and composition. Coupled
    with the acclaimed Natural-Bright-Matte II focusing screen, it delivers
    a large, bright subject image. "

    The feature table at the bottom however lists it as a mirror:

    "Optical Viewfinder -Pentamirror with Natural-Bright-Matte II focusing
    screen"

    Obviously one of the two is wrong.
    I think the camera will have the pentaprism.

    Sander
    Sander, Sep 13, 2006
  13. frederick

    Pete D Guest

    "Sander" <> wrote in message
    > Paul Mitchum wrote:
    >
    >> The linked article says it's a penta-mirror.

    > The linked article says its a prism:
    >
    > "Bright, clear viewfinder
    >
    > Featuring a glass pentaprism, the K10D’s viewfinder offers a 96-percent
    > field of view and a 0.95-times magnification for easy viewing of the
    > subject and effortless confirmation of focus and composition. Coupled with
    > the acclaimed Natural-Bright-Matte II focusing screen, it delivers a
    > large, bright subject image. "
    >

    > The feature table at the bottom however lists it as a mirror:
    >
    > "Optical Viewfinder -Pentamirror with Natural-Bright-Matte II focusing
    > screen"
    >

    > Obviously one of the two is wrong.
    > I think the camera will have the pentaprism.
    >

    > Sander

    The DL, K100 and K110 have penta mirror and the viewfinders are pretty good
    but not quite up to the DS and D. I really don't think that Pentax will do
    that to us.
    Pete D, Sep 13, 2006
  14. frederick

    frederick Guest

    Pete D wrote:

    > The DL, K100 and K110 have penta mirror and the viewfinders are pretty good
    > but not quite up to the DS and D. I really don't think that Pentax will do
    > that to us.

    Do what to you?
    Dump you with a miserly 10mp dslr with weather sealing, in-camera IS,
    spot metering, and a separate top LCD for the about the same price as a
    400d that also has a penta-mirror but nothing else of particular
    interest??? Despite probable penta-mirror - at 96% / 0.95 it's a much
    bigger size viewfinder than a 400d has.
    frederick, Sep 13, 2006
  15. frederick

    Mark B. Guest

    "frederick" <> wrote in message
    > 10mp / 3fps sensor. New in-camera anti-shake system (allows for lens
    > focal length, adjusts for vert. horiz. rotational shake - manual input of
    > lens focal length possible when using old lenses.) Dust removal. Weather
    > sealed. ~100,000 actuation rated shutter. 96% FOV / 0.95 magnification
    > viewfinder (penta-mirror).
    > LiIon batteries - optional vertical grip. List price is supposed to be
    > $US899 for body.
    > Plenty of choice now in 10mp <$1000 dslrs.
    > 400d / d80 / a100 / K10d
    >
    > Steve's digicams press release was pulled from site - but can be d/l here
    > (until he gets a cease and desist notice):
    > http://ericcloninger.com/albums/DPRShots/StevesK10DRelease.pdf

    Most interesting feature to me in a sub-$1,000 cam is the weather
    sealing...wonder if this is accurate?

    Mark
    Mark B., Sep 13, 2006
  16. frederick

    Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > 10mp / 3fps sensor. New in-camera anti-shake system (allows for lens
    > focal length, adjusts for vert. horiz. rotational shake - manual input
    > of lens focal length possible when using old lenses.) Dust removal.
    > Weather sealed. ~100,000 actuation rated shutter. 96% FOV / 0.95
    > magnification viewfinder (penta-mirror).
    > LiIon batteries - optional vertical grip. List price is supposed to be
    > $US899 for body.
    > Plenty of choice now in 10mp <$1000 dslrs.
    > 400d / d80 / a100 / K10d
    >
    > Steve's digicams press release was pulled from site - but can be d/l
    > here (until he gets a cease and desist notice):
    > http://ericcloninger.com/albums/DPRShots/StevesK10DRelease.pdf

    If all of this bears out, then Pentax may finally have a truly
    wonderful camera on its hands. I'm glad, as Pentax has remained close
    to my heart, even if I abandoned them. I love the extent to which they
    support old glass, unlike Canon and Nikon.

    I hope this is all true. If nothing else, the "big two" could use some
    competition from someone other than Sony, and from someone marketting a
    camera on its merit rather than its "brand appeal."

    Will
    , Sep 13, 2006
  17. frederick

    acl Guest

    Paul Mitchum wrote:
    > The converter is 22-bit, the sensor is 12-bit. This is good, for obvious

    What's that supposed to mean? What does the bit depth of a sensor mean?
    acl, Sep 13, 2006
  18. BHPHOTOVIDEO.COM is already listing the camera with kit lens for $999.95
    and body alone for $919.95 but both still "out of stock"

    --
    Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
    Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA
    Charles Gillen, Sep 13, 2006
  19. frederick

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Sander <> wrote:

    > Paul Mitchum wrote:
    >
    > > The linked article says it's a penta-mirror.

    > The linked article says its a prism:
    >
    > "Bright, clear viewfinder

    [..]
    > The feature table at the bottom however lists it as a mirror:
    >
    > "Optical Viewfinder -Pentamirror with Natural-Bright-Matte II focusing
    > screen"
    >

    > Obviously one of the two is wrong.
    > I think the camera will have the pentaprism.

    Nice catch. I hope it's a prism, as well.

    One wishes Pentax were better at this kind of marketing stuff. When they
    announced the K100 and K110, they announced that both had pentamirrors,
    even though one has a prism, and the viewfinder material was really the
    only difference between the two.
    Paul Mitchum, Sep 13, 2006
  20. frederick

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    frederick <> wrote:

    > Pete D wrote:
    >
    > > The DL, K100 and K110 have penta mirror and the viewfinders are pretty
    > > good but not quite up to the DS and D. I really don't think that Pentax
    > > will do that to us.

    > Do what to you?
    > Dump you with a miserly 10mp dslr with weather sealing, in-camera IS, spot
    > metering, and a separate top LCD for the about the same price as a 400d
    > that also has a penta-mirror but nothing else of particular interest???
    > Despite probable penta-mirror - at 96% / 0.95 it's a much bigger size
    > viewfinder than a 400d has.

    What's wrong with wanting an even *brighter* viewfinder? :) Since the
    bright viewfinder is one of the main distinguishing characteristics of
    any Pentax SLR, it seems they'd go all the way with a pentaprism this
    go-round, especially since this model is more 'pro' oriented. Next year
    a pentamirror for lowered production costs.
    Paul Mitchum, Sep 13, 2006