Pentax K10D Exif data - where is it?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Olin K. McDaniel, Sep 12, 2007.

  1. The subject line tells it all, but to elaborate - I've used Nikon
    digitals almost exclusively for the past 6 or 7 years and they all
    have the option to have a file created and stored with the image files
    on the memory card. Now that I've been trying to learn all the tricks
    and features of this new Pentax K10D, I've been totally defeated in
    trying to do something similar with it. The Operating Manual gives no
    clue at all. In fact the term EXIF isn't even listed in the Index.
    About the only place I can find the details I need is from the
    Playback mode of the camera itself, which requires leaving the files
    on the memory card to read the data. That goes against my method, I
    normally move these files over to my computer hard drives, and can no
    longer read them in the camera if I do. About the closest I can come
    to reading the data is with Irfan View, but even it is not as complete
    as I sometimes need. Another option is to use EXIF Image View by Mike
    Kowalski, but much of the data that the Nikons all show are missing
    from this camera's data listing.

    Is there a solution, or did Pentax just drop the ball here? Or
    decided we really didn't need that data? If so, how do they know what
    we think we need, especially after Nikon has indoctrinated us over the
    years?

    Olin McDaniel

    To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address
    "Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes
    the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."

    Olin K. McDaniel, Sep 12, 2007

  2. Olin K. McDaniel

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Olin K. McDaniel <> wrote:

    > The subject line tells it all, but to elaborate - I've used Nikon
    > digitals almost exclusively for the past 6 or 7 years and they all
    > have the option to have a file created and stored with the image files
    > on the memory card. Now that I've been trying to learn all the tricks
    > and features of this new Pentax K10D, I've been totally defeated in
    > trying to do something similar with it. The Operating Manual gives no
    > clue at all. In fact the term EXIF isn't even listed in the Index.
    > About the only place I can find the details I need is from the
    > Playback mode of the camera itself, which requires leaving the files
    > on the memory card to read the data. That goes against my method, I
    > normally move these files over to my computer hard drives, and can no
    > longer read them in the camera if I do. About the closest I can come
    > to reading the data is with Irfan View, but even it is not as complete
    > as I sometimes need. Another option is to use EXIF Image View by Mike
    > Kowalski, but much of the data that the Nikons all show are missing
    > from this camera's data listing.
    >
    > Is there a solution, or did Pentax just drop the ball here? Or
    > decided we really didn't need that data? If so, how do they know what
    > we think we need, especially after Nikon has indoctrinated us over the
    > years?

    Pentax doesn't store exif in a separate file. It's in the image file
    itself, where it should be.

    What piece of data, specifically, are you looking for? What are you
    trying to do?

    --
    http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2007/070416_argument.html

    Paul Mitchum, Sep 12, 2007

  3. On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:45:33 -0700, 0m (Paul Mitchum)
    wrote:

    >Olin K. McDaniel <> wrote:
    >
    >> The subject line tells it all, but to elaborate - I've used Nikon
    >> digitals almost exclusively for the past 6 or 7 years and they all
    >> have the option to have a file created and stored with the image files
    >> on the memory card. Now that I've been trying to learn all the tricks
    >> and features of this new Pentax K10D, I've been totally defeated in
    >> trying to do something similar with it. The Operating Manual gives no
    >> clue at all. In fact the term EXIF isn't even listed in the Index.
    >> About the only place I can find the details I need is from the
    >> Playback mode of the camera itself, which requires leaving the files
    >> on the memory card to read the data. That goes against my method, I
    >> normally move these files over to my computer hard drives, and can no
    >> longer read them in the camera if I do. About the closest I can come
    >> to reading the data is with Irfan View, but even it is not as complete
    >> as I sometimes need. Another option is to use EXIF Image View by Mike
    >> Kowalski, but much of the data that the Nikons all show are missing
    >> from this camera's data listing.
    >>
    >> Is there a solution, or did Pentax just drop the ball here? Or
    >> decided we really didn't need that data? If so, how do they know what
    >> we think we need, especially after Nikon has indoctrinated us over the
    >> years?

    >Pentax doesn't store exif in a separate file. It's in the image file
    >itself, where it should be.
    >
    >What piece of data, specifically, are you looking for? What are you
    >trying to do?
    >
    >--
    >http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2007/070416_argument.html

    Thanks for your quick response. In the original post, I did say that
    Nikon gave us the option (note Option) of a text file. We had to ask
    for it, but it was available if we asked. But that's NOT the point of
    my question. I really don't care about that file!

    As to "what am I trying to do?". Frankly, I want to see some
    information that I can see via EXIF View that IS STORED on the files
    themselves on the Nikons. Under EXIF View, the files for the Pentax
    totally LACK seven columns of data that are available for the Nikons.
    SEVEN! (7). Among these are the focus distance, plus Focus Mode, and
    a couple of other less used like Quality, etc.

    Now, in all fairness, after receiving your response I reexamined EXIF
    View in more depth. Some of this disparity MAY exist in that program,
    since the 7 columns I am accustoned to viewing are available WITHIN
    that program for Nikons and Canons. Nothing is mentioned there about
    setting it up for a Pentax, so MAYBE the fault lies with EXIF View.
    And perhaps the date is really available, and I just don't have the
    proper reader to see it?

    I just see there is a later, but not Free, version called EXIF Pro,
    so maybe that will work for me. PROVIDED that Pentax makes the info
    available. What say? Do they?

    Olin

    Olin K. McDaniel, Sep 12, 2007
  4. Olin K. McDaniel

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Olin K. McDaniel wrote:

    >The subject line tells it all, but to elaborate - I've used Nikon
    >digitals almost exclusively for the past 6 or 7 years and they all
    >have the option to have a file created and stored with the image files
    >on the memory card. Now that I've been trying to learn all the tricks
    >and features of this new Pentax K10D, I've been totally defeated in
    >trying to do something similar with it. The Operating Manual gives no
    >clue at all. In fact the term EXIF isn't even listed in the Index.
    >About the only place I can find the details I need is from the
    >Playback mode of the camera itself, which requires leaving the files
    >on the memory card to read the data. That goes against my method, I
    >normally move these files over to my computer hard drives, and can no
    >longer read them in the camera if I do. About the closest I can come
    >to reading the data is with Irfan View, but even it is not as complete
    >as I sometimes need. Another option is to use EXIF Image View by Mike
    >Kowalski, but much of the data that the Nikons all show are missing
    >from this camera's data listing.

    I think what you want to do is extract the EXIF data from all your
    image files and put it into a single text-based file (CSV format, for
    example). If so, the Pentax Browser software that comes with the
    camera will do that.

    Here's a snippet from a CSV file it generated for me:
    "7d703101.dng","smc PENTAX-DA*16-50mmF2.8ED AL[IF]
    SDM","50.0mm","1/160sec","F2.8","Aperture-priority(HyP)","Multi-segment
    metering","Automatic","-----","-----","-----","400","3872x2592","RAW","0.0","Continuous
    AF","Select","sRGB","Natural","0","0","0","Continuous shooting","Flash
    off ","Off","-----","Off","Yes","K10D Ver 1.30","8/19/2007 11:44:24
    AM","PENTAX K10D",
    "7d703102.dng","smc PENTAX-DA*16-50mmF2.8ED AL[IF]
    SDM","50.0mm","1/320sec","F5.6","Aperture-priority(HyP)","Multi-segment
    metering","Automatic","-----","-----","-----","400","3872x2592","RAW","0.0","Single
    AF","Select","sRGB","Natural","0","0","0","Continuous shooting","Flash
    off ","Off","-----","Off","Yes","K10D Ver 1.30","8/19/2007 11:57:22
    AM","PENTAX K10D",

    Of course, CSV files can be opened in a spreadsheet program like Excel
    and easily saved in a variety of other formats.

    --
    Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
    www.robertstech.com

    Mark Roberts, Sep 12, 2007
  5. Olin K. McDaniel

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Olin K. McDaniel <> wrote:

    [..]
    > As to "what am I trying to do?". Frankly, I want to see some information
    > that I can see via EXIF View that IS STORED on the files themselves on the
    > Nikons. Under EXIF View, the files for the Pentax totally LACK seven
    > columns of data that are available for the Nikons. SEVEN! (7). Among
    > these are the focus distance, plus Focus Mode, and a couple of other less
    > used like Quality, etc.
    >
    > Now, in all fairness, after receiving your response I reexamined EXIF View
    > in more depth. Some of this disparity MAY exist in that program, since
    > the 7 columns I am accustoned to viewing are available WITHIN that program
    > for Nikons and Canons. Nothing is mentioned there about setting it up for
    > a Pentax, so MAYBE the fault lies with EXIF View. And perhaps the date is
    > really available, and I just don't have the proper reader to see it?
    >
    > I just see there is a later, but not Free, version called EXIF Pro, so
    > maybe that will work for me. PROVIDED that Pentax makes the info
    > available. What say? Do they?

    Like I said: Pentax includes EXIF data in the image. What's going on
    here is that some EXIF data is in the form of a MakerNote, which is a
    private data format per manufacturer. Some data you're used to seeing
    lives in MakerNotes. Some software can deal with MakerNotes, and some
    can't. I'm willing to wager your software doesn't understand Pentax'
    MakerNotes.

    Here's what exiftool tells me about a Pentax RAW format file (a PEF
    file).... Pretty much the gold standard of what metadata you're likely
    to find:

    blackbook:~/Pictures paul$ exiftool stump.pef
    ExifTool Version Number : 6.90
    File Name : stump.pef
    Directory : .
    File Size : 10 MB
    File Modification Date/Time : 2007:03:27 15:35:54
    File Type : PEF
    MIME Type : image/x-raw
    Image Width : 3040
    Image Height : 2024
    Bits Per Sample : 12
    Compression : PackBits
    Photometric Interpretation : Color Filter Array
    Make : PENTAX Corporation
    Camera Model Name : PENTAX *ist DS
    Strip Offsets : 73728
    Orientation : Rotate 270 CW
    Samples Per Pixel : 1
    Rows Per Strip : 2024
    Strip Byte Counts : 9229440
    X Resolution : 72
    Y Resolution : 72
    Planar Configuration : Chunky
    Resolution Unit : inches
    Software : *ist DS Ver 2.00
    Modify Date : 2007:03:27 15:35:54
    Exposure Time : 1/350
    F Number : 4.5
    Exposure Program : Program AE
    ISO : 200
    Date/Time Original : 2007:03:27 14:34:20
    Create Date : 2007:03:27 14:34:20
    Flash : Off
    Focal Length : 50.0mm
    Pentax Mode : Auto
    Preview Image Size : 640x480
    Preview Image Length : 40744
    Preview Image Start : 13172
    Pentax Model ID : *ist DS
    Date : 2007:03:27
    Time : 14:34:20
    Quality : RAW
    Pentax Image Size : 3008x2008 or 3040x2024
    Flash Mode : Off
    Focus Mode : AF-C
    AF Point Selected : Auto
    Exposure Compensation : 0
    Metering Mode : Multi Segment
    Auto Bracketing : 0
    White Balance : Daylight
    White Balance Mode : User-Selected
    World Time Location : Hometown
    Hometown City : Vancouver
    Destination City : Vancouver
    Hometown DST : No
    Destination DST : No
    Picture Mode : Program AE
    Drive Mode : Single-frame
    Color Space : Adobe RGB
    Image Area Offset : 16 8
    Raw Image Size : 3008x2008
    Lens Type : smc PENTAX-FA 50mm F1.4
    Camera Temperature : 16 C
    Noise Reduction : Off
    Image Tone : Bright
    Black Point : 128 128 128 128
    White Point : 13024 8192 8192 8128
    AE Exposure Time : 1/372
    AE Aperture : 4.8
    AE ISO : 200
    AE Xv : 64
    AEB Xv : 0
    AE Flash Tv : 164
    AE Program Mode : Program
    Lens Coefficients : 24 148 43 181 134 3 79 97 81
    Flash Status : 0
    Flash Mode Code : Off (240)
    External Flash Mode : 63
    Internal Flash Magni : 44
    TTL DA A Up : 0
    TTL DA A Down : 172
    TTL DA B Up : 0
    TTL DA B Down : 172
    WB RGGB Levels Daylight : 13188 8192 8192 8192
    WB RGGB Levels Shade : 15878 8192 8192 6251
    WB RGGB Levels Cloudy : 14260 8192 8192 7354
    WB RGGB Levels Tungsten : 7484 8192 8192 17038
    WB RGGB Levels Fluorescent D : 15454 8192 8192 8315
    WB RGGB Levels Fluorescent N : 12784 8192 8192 9295
    WB RGGB Levels Fluorescent W : 11368 8192 8192 11297
    WB RGGB Levels Flash : 13714 8192 8192 7681
    Manufacture Date : 2004:11:11
    Model Revision : 2.2
    Internal Serial Number : 6002203
    Battery Type : -126
    Battery Body Grip States : 0 0
    Battery AD Body No Load : 175
    Battery AD Body Load : 159
    Battery AD Grip No Load : 0
    Battery AD Grip Load : 0
    Tone Curves : (Binary data 8200 bytes, use -b option
    to extract)
    Sensing Method : One-chip color area
    File Source : Digital Camera
    Scene Type : Directly photographed
    CFA Pattern : [Red,Green][Green,Blue]
    Custom Rendered : Normal
    Exposure Mode : Auto
    Focal Length In 35mm Format : 75mm
    Scene Capture Type : Standard
    Contrast : Low
    Saturation : Low
    Sharpness : Soft
    Subject Distance Range : Distant
    Thumbnail Offset : 65630
    Thumbnail Length : 6351
    Jpg From Raw Start : 9303262
    Jpg From Raw Length : 1454988
    Aperture : 4.5
    Image Size : 3040x2024
    Jpg From Raw : (Binary data 1454988 bytes, use -b
    option to extract)
    Preview Image : (Binary data 40744 bytes, use -b
    option to extract)
    Scale Factor To 35mm Equivalent : 1.5
    Shutter Speed : 1/350
    Thumbnail Image : (Binary data 6351 bytes, use -b option
    to extract)
    Circle Of Confusion : 0.020 mm
    Focal Length : 50.0mm (35mm equivalent: 75.0mm)
    Hyperfocal Distance : 27.74 m
    Light Value : 11.8

    --
    http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2007/070416_argument.html

    Paul Mitchum, Sep 13, 2007
  6. On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:05:47 -0700, 0m (Paul Mitchum)
    wrote:

    >Olin K. McDaniel <> wrote:
    >
    >[..]
    >> As to "what am I trying to do?". Frankly, I want to see some information
    >> that I can see via EXIF View that IS STORED on the files themselves on the
    >> Nikons. Under EXIF View, the files for the Pentax totally LACK seven
    >> columns of data that are available for the Nikons. SEVEN! (7). Among
    >> these are the focus distance, plus Focus Mode, and a couple of other less
    >> used like Quality, etc.
    >>
    >> Now, in all fairness, after receiving your response I reexamined EXIF View
    >> in more depth. Some of this disparity MAY exist in that program, since
    >> the 7 columns I am accustoned to viewing are available WITHIN that program
    >> for Nikons and Canons. Nothing is mentioned there about setting it up for
    >> a Pentax, so MAYBE the fault lies with EXIF View. And perhaps the date is
    >> really available, and I just don't have the proper reader to see it?
    >>
    >> I just see there is a later, but not Free, version called EXIF Pro, so
    >> maybe that will work for me. PROVIDED that Pentax makes the info
    >> available. What say? Do they?

    Are you familiar with the above package?

    >Like I said: Pentax includes EXIF data in the image. What's going on
    >here is that some EXIF data is in the form of a MakerNote, which is a
    >private data format per manufacturer. Some data you're used to seeing
    >lives in MakerNotes. Some software can deal with MakerNotes, and some
    >can't. I'm willing to wager your software doesn't understand Pentax'
    >MakerNotes.

    Thanks, looks like it's all there, if I had a "viewer" that I could
    select the specific items I would like displayed (not necessarily
    printed, though) in a page format of multiple images, each on a line
    for itself. My need stems from trying to learn quickly and easily
    what exact conditions I used for each shot taken in a particular
    session. It's just my way of evaluating what shooting setups work
    best for a given set of circumstances. The thing I like about EXIF
    View is - I can flip back and forth between the page with the summary
    of the conditions to a page with the thumbnails, and can click on any
    thumbnail to view it. From what you say, there is plenty of data
    there, and evidently it can be viewed if the viewer can accommodate
    it. So, it's not like Pentax withholds it from the user, is it?

    >Here's what exiftool tells me about a Pentax RAW format file (a PEF
    >file).... Pretty much the gold standard of what metadata you're likely
    >to find:
    >
    >blackbook:~/Pictures paul$ exiftool stump.pef
    >ExifTool Version Number : 6.90

    Is Exif Tool available for downloading? Or have I failed to find it
    in the stuff that came with the camera? That wouldn't surprise me,
    I'm still learning this camera's features as well. And can it extract
    at least some of the info from shooting only .JPG files, which is what
    I use most of the time?

    >File Name : stump.pef
    >Directory : .
    >File Size : 10 MB
    >File Modification Date/Time : 2007:03:27 15:35:54
    >File Type : PEF

    (some snipped)

    >F Number : 4.5
    >Exposure Program : Program AE
    >ISO : 200
    >Date/Time Original : 2007:03:27 14:34:20
    >Create Date : 2007:03:27 14:34:20
    >Flash : Off
    >Focal Length : 50.0mm

    (more snipped)

    >Quality : RAW
    >Pentax Image Size : 3008x2008 or 3040x2024
    >Flash Mode : Off
    >Focus Mode : AF-C
    >AF Point Selected : Auto
    >Exposure Compensation : 0
    >Metering Mode : Multi Segment
    >Auto Bracketing : 0
    >White Balance : Daylight
    >White Balance Mode : User-Selected

    (more snipped)

    >Picture Mode : Program AE
    >Drive Mode : Single-frame
    >Color Space : Adobe RGB
    >Image Area Offset : 16 8
    >Raw Image Size : 3008x2008
    >Lens Type : smc PENTAX-FA 50mm F1.4
    >Camera Temperature : 16 C
    >Noise Reduction : Off

    (yet more snipped)

    >Exposure Mode : Auto
    >Focal Length In 35mm Format : 75mm
    >Scene Capture Type : Standard
    >Contrast : Low
    >Saturation : Low
    >Sharpness : Soft
    >Subject Distance Range : Distant

    (how many choices are available here?)

    >Shutter Speed : 1/350
    >Thumbnail Image : (Binary data 6351 bytes, use -b option
    >to extract)
    >Circle Of Confusion : 0.020 mm
    >Focal Length : 50.0mm (35mm equivalent: 75.0mm)
    >Hyperfocal Distance : 27.74 m
    >Light Value : 11.8
    >

    >--
    >http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2007/070416_argument.html

    That response was very informative and helpful, thanks.

    Olin

    Olin K. McDaniel, Sep 13, 2007
  7. On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 22:46:03 GMT, Mark Roberts <>
    wrote:

    >Olin K. McDaniel wrote:
    >
    >>The subject line tells it all, but to elaborate - I've used Nikon
    >>digitals almost exclusively for the past 6 or 7 years and they all
    >>have the option to have a file created and stored with the image files
    >>on the memory card. Now that I've been trying to learn all the tricks
    >>and features of this new Pentax K10D, I've been totally defeated in
    >>trying to do something similar with it. The Operating Manual gives no
    >>clue at all. In fact the term EXIF isn't even listed in the Index.
    >>About the only place I can find the details I need is from the
    >>Playback mode of the camera itself, which requires leaving the files
    >>on the memory card to read the data. That goes against my method, I
    >>normally move these files over to my computer hard drives, and can no
    >>longer read them in the camera if I do. About the closest I can come
    >>to reading the data is with Irfan View, but even it is not as complete
    >>as I sometimes need. Another option is to use EXIF Image View by Mike
    >>Kowalski, but much of the data that the Nikons all show are missing
    >>from this camera's data listing.

    >I think what you want to do is extract the EXIF data from all your
    >image files and put it into a single text-based file (CSV format, for
    >example). If so, the Pentax Browser software that comes with the
    >camera will do that.

    Thanks Mark. You and Paul, to whom I just replied, have given me
    enough info that maybe I can get what I need. In all honesty, I've
    not tried the software that came with the camera, so guess I'm to
    blame there.

    >Here's a snippet from a CSV file it generated for me:
    >"7d703101.dng","smc PENTAX-DA*16-50mmF2.8ED AL[IF]

    (some snipped here)

    I note above you got all this from the RAW file. As I asked Paul in
    the other reply, can I get it from the data available if I only shoot
    in .JPG?

    Olin K. McDaniel, Sep 13, 2007
  8. Olin K. McDaniel

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Olin K. McDaniel <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:05:47 -0700, 0m (Paul Mitchum)
    > wrote:
    > >Olin K. McDaniel <> wrote:

    [..]
    > >> I just see there is a later, but not Free, version called EXIF Pro, so
    > >> maybe that will work for me. PROVIDED that Pentax makes the info
    > >> available. What say? Do they?

    > Are you familiar with the above package?

    Nope.

    [..]
    > >ExifTool Version Number : 6.90

    > Is Exif Tool available for downloading? Or have I failed to find it
    > in the stuff that came with the camera? That wouldn't surprise me,
    > I'm still learning this camera's features as well. And can it extract
    > at least some of the info from shooting only .JPG files, which is what
    > I use most of the time?

    ExifTool is completely free, and can work just fine with JPEG files.
    <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

    --
    http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2007/070416_argument.html

    Paul Mitchum, Sep 13, 2007
  9. Olin K. McDaniel

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Olin K. McDaniel wrote:

    >Thanks Mark. You and Paul, to whom I just replied, have given me
    >enough info that maybe I can get what I need. In all honesty, I've
    >not tried the software that came with the camera, so guess I'm to
    >blame there.
    >
    >>Here's a snippet from a CSV file it generated for me:
    >>"7d703101.dng","smc PENTAX-DA*16-50mmF2.8ED AL[IF]

    >(some snipped here)
    >
    > I note above you got all this from the RAW file. As I asked Paul in
    >the other reply, can I get it from the data available if I only shoot
    >in .JPG?

    Yes, it works the same way with JPEGs. Of course, with JPEG files
    you'll only get standard EXIF data (date, shutter speed, aperture,
    focal length, ISO, Camera make/model, etc.) not any of the
    non-standard things like lens model.

    Mark Roberts, Sep 13, 2007
  10. Olin K. McDaniel

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Mark Roberts <> wrote:

    > Olin K. McDaniel wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks Mark. You and Paul, to whom I just replied, have given me
    > >enough info that maybe I can get what I need. In all honesty, I've
    > >not tried the software that came with the camera, so guess I'm to
    > >blame there.
    > >
    > >>Here's a snippet from a CSV file it generated for me:
    > >>"7d703101.dng","smc PENTAX-DA*16-50mmF2.8ED AL[IF]

    > >(some snipped here)
    > >
    > > I note above you got all this from the RAW file. As I asked Paul in the
    > >other reply, can I get it from the data available if I only shoot in
    > >.JPG?

    > Yes, it works the same way with JPEGs. Of course, with JPEG files you'll
    > only get standard EXIF data (date, shutter speed, aperture, focal length,
    > ISO, Camera make/model, etc.) not any of the non-standard things like lens
    > model.

    That's not true. In Pentax' case, and pretty much all the others' as
    well, you get all that information in EXIF and MakerNotes. It's just
    that not all software can read it to show it to you. Also, shooting RAW,
    importing into a converter, and saving as JPEG presents a lot of steps
    where such information could be lost by the software doing the work. For
    instance, Photoshop CS and ACR drop the lens model.

    Here's a JPEG straight out of the camera, with lens model included:

    blackbook:~/Pictures paul$ exiftool _IGP0263.JPG
    ExifTool Version Number : 6.90
    File Name : _IGP0263.JPG
    Directory : .
    File Size : 1274 kB
    File Modification Date/Time : 2007:09:13 10:39:24
    File Type : JPEG
    MIME Type : image/jpeg
    Make : PENTAX Corporation
    Camera Model Name : PENTAX *ist DS
    Orientation : Horizontal (normal)
    X Resolution : 72
    Y Resolution : 72
    Resolution Unit : inches
    Software : *ist DS Ver 2.02

    [..]

    Lens Type : smc PENTAX-DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL

    [ etc... ]

    --
    http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2007/070416_argument.html

    Paul Mitchum, Sep 13, 2007
  11. Olin K. McDaniel

    Somebody Guest

    I have no problem seeing the EXIF data from my K10D images in any program
    that can show EXIF data. ACR, Photoshop, Lightroom, Paint Shop Pro, ACDSee
    Pro 2, etc. If your looking for a seperate file to go along with each image
    your out of luck. However, the EXIF data is embedded in to the files.

    Somebody!

    Somebody, Sep 13, 2007
  12. Olin K. McDaniel

    Alan Meyer Guest

    On Sep 13, 12:02 am, 0m (Paul Mitchum) wrote:
    > ExifTool is completely free, and can work just fine with JPEG files.
    > <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

    Thanks Paul.

    I've been using Irfanview to see EXIF data from my
    Pentax Optio 750Z. ExifTool shows a lot more. I
    never knew I was missing anything.

    And thanks to Olin too for bring up this question.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Sep 14, 2007
  13. Olin K. McDaniel

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Alan Meyer <> wrote:

    > On Sep 13, 12:02 am, 0m (Paul Mitchum) wrote:
    > > ExifTool is completely free, and can work just fine with JPEG files.
    > > <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

    > Thanks Paul.
    >
    > I've been using Irfanview to see EXIF data from my
    > Pentax Optio 750Z. ExifTool shows a lot more. I
    > never knew I was missing anything.
    >
    > And thanks to Olin too for bring up this question.

    No problem. :)

    Open source is your friend!

    --
    http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2007/070416_argument.html

    Paul Mitchum, Sep 14, 2007
  14. Olin K. McDaniel

    sadatoni Guest

    What I use to see the EXIF data is IRFRANVIEW with the plug-in that
    shows the EXIF data. This is what it shows for the K10D (it has a
    copy to clipboard button, and that's what I used to paste what follows
    - Took this picture last weekend):

    Make - PENTAX Corporation
    Model - PENTAX K10D
    Orientation - Top left
    XResolution - 72
    YResolution - 72
    ResolutionUnit - Inch
    Software - K10D Ver 1.30
    DateTime - 2007:09:08 12:55:03
    YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
    ExifOffset - 598
    ExposureTime - 1/45 seconds
    FNumber - 4.00
    ExposureProgram - Normal program
    ISOSpeedRatings - 100
    ExifVersion - 0221
    DateTimeOriginal - 2007:09:08 12:55:03
    DateTimeDigitized - 2007:09:08 12:55:03
    ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
    ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
    MeteringMode - Multi-segment
    Flash - Not fired, compulsory flash mode
    FocalLength - 18.00 mm
    FlashPixVersion - 0100
    ColorSpace - sRGB
    ExifImageWidth - 3872
    ExifImageHeight - 2592
    InteroperabilityOffset - 46036
    SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
    FileSource - Other
    SceneType - Other
    CustomRendered - Normal process
    ExposureMode - Auto
    White Balance - Auto
    FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 27 mm
    SceneCaptureType - Standard
    Contrast - Normal
    Saturation - Normal
    Sharpness - Hard
    SubjectDistanceRange - Distant view

    Maker Note (Vendor): -
    Mode - Auto
    Quality - Best
    ISO - 100
    White Balance - Auto

    Thumbnail: -
    Compression - 6 (JPG)
    XResolution - 72
    YResolution - 72
    ResolutionUnit - Inch
    JpegIFOffset - 46160
    JpegIFByteCount - 6454

    The plug-in file that has the EXIF plug-in also has several other
    plugins (Image effects, "Additional icons for Associations", MPG/MPEG
    Editing, "Save slideshow as EXE or SCR", and AVI WAV MPG/MPEG MOV MID/
    RMI WMA WMV AIFF AU/SND video playback.

    IrFranView can be found at http://www.irfranview.com

    sadatoni, Sep 14, 2007
  15. Olin K. McDaniel

    sadatoni Guest

    Wow, I just tried EXIFTOOL (Version 6.96 now) and there's TONS more
    stuff in a JPEG than the plug-in the IrFanView shows (Thanks Paul!).
    Here's what it shows for a JPEG from a K10D (I don't remember which
    picture I used for my previous post, so I'll pick one out of the same
    batch of pictures):

    ExifTool Version Number : 6.96
    File Name : IMGP0162.JPG
    Directory : .
    File Size : 4 MB
    File Modification Date/Time : 2007:09:08 13:06:54
    File Type : JPEG
    MIME Type : image/jpeg
    Make : PENTAX Corporation
    Camera Model Name : PENTAX K10D
    Orientation : Horizontal (normal)
    X Resolution : 72
    Y Resolution : 72
    Resolution Unit : inches
    Software : K10D Ver 1.30
    Modify Date : 2007:09:08 13:06:53
    Y Cb Cr Positioning : Co-sited
    Exposure Time : 1/125
    F Number : 6.7
    Exposure Program : Program AE
    ISO : 100
    Exif Version : 0221
    Date/Time Original : 2007:09:08 13:06:53
    Create Date : 2007:09:08 13:06:53
    Components Configuration : YCbCr
    Flash : Off
    Focal Length : 20.0mm
    Pentax Version : 3.0.0.0
    Pentax Mode : Auto
    Preview Image Size : 640x480
    Preview Image Length : 27330
    Preview Image Start : 2284
    Pentax Model ID : K10D
    Date : 2007:09:08
    Time : 13:06:53
    Quality : Best
    Flash Mode : Off
    Focus Mode : AF-S
    AF Point Selected : Auto
    Exposure Compensation : 0
    Metering Mode : Center Weighted
    Auto Bracketing : 0 EV, No Extended Bracket
    White Balance : Auto
    White Balance Mode : Auto (Daylight)
    World Time Location : Hometown [ok, so some of
    this data is irrelevant]
    Hometown City : Los Angeles [Seattle
    isn't one of the options :-(]
    Destination City : New York
    Hometown DST : No
    Destination DST : No
    Image Processing : Unprocessed
    Picture Mode : Program AE
    Drive Mode : Single-frame
    Lens Type : smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL
    Camera Temperature : 23 C
    Noise Reduction : Off
    Flash Exposure Comp : 0
    Image Tone : Natural
    SR Result : Stabilized
    Shake Reduction : On
    SR SWS To SWR Time : 249
    Black Point : 0 0 0 0
    White Point : 13888 8192 8192 9280
    AE Exposure Time : 1/121
    AE Aperture : 7.0
    AE ISO : 100
    AE Xv : 64
    AEB Xv : 0
    AE Flash Tv : 164
    AE Program Mode : Manual/Program AE
    Lens Codes : 40 214 18 110 132 70 144 102 128 137
    114 56 1 60 88 3
    Flash Status : 0
    Flash Mode Code : Off (242)
    External Flash Mode : 63
    Internal Flash Magni : 51
    TTL DA A Up : 0
    TTL DA A Down : 0
    TTL DA B Up : 0
    TTL DA B Down : 0
    WB RGGB Levels Daylight : 13600 8192 8192 8765
    WB RGGB Levels Shade : 16128 8192 8192 6635
    WB RGGB Levels Cloudy : 14560 8192 8192 7782
    WB RGGB Levels Tungsten : 8192 8192 8192 20971
    WB RGGB Levels Fluorescent D : 17376 8192 8192 8847
    WB RGGB Levels Fluorescent N : 14528 8192 8192 10076
    WB RGGB Levels Fluorescent W : 13088 8192 8192 12206
    WB RGGB Levels Flash : 13632 8192 8192 8601
    Manufacture Date : 2007:04:02
    Model Revision : 1.1
    Internal Serial Number : 2121565
    Battery Type : 2
    Battery Body Grip States : 4 1
    Battery AD Body No Load : 168
    Battery AD Body Load : 164
    Battery AD Grip No Load : 5
    Battery AD Grip Load : 1
    Flashpix Version : 0100
    Color Space : sRGB
    Exif Image Width : 3872
    Exif Image Length : 2592
    Interoperability Index : R98 - DCF basic file (sRGB)
    Interoperability Version : 0100
    Sensing Method : One-chip color area
    File Source : Digital Camera
    Scene Type : Directly photographed
    Custom Rendered : Normal
    Exposure Mode : Auto
    Focal Length In 35mm Format : 30mm
    Scene Capture Type : Standard
    Contrast : Normal
    Saturation : Normal
    Sharpness : Hard
    Subject Distance Range : Distant
    Compression : JPEG (old-style)
    Thumbnail Offset : 46172
    Thumbnail Length : 6688
    Image Width : 3872
    Image Height : 2592
    Encoding Process : Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
    Bits Per Sample : 8
    Color Components : 3
    Y Cb Cr Sub Sampling : YCbCr4:2:2 (2 1)
    Aperture : 6.7
    Image Size : 3872x2592
    Preview Image : (Binary data 27330 bytes, use -b
    option to extract)
    Scale Factor To 35mm Equivalent : 1.5
    Shutter Speed : 1/125
    Thumbnail Image : (Binary data 6688 bytes, use -b
    option to extract)
    Circle Of Confusion : 0.020 mm
    Focal Length : 20.0mm (35mm equivalent: 30.0mm)
    Hyperfocal Distance : 2.98 m
    Light Value : 12.5

    Such fun!

    sadatoni, Sep 14, 2007
  16. Olin K. McDaniel

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Somebody wrote:

    >I have no problem seeing the EXIF data from my K10D images in any program
    >that can show EXIF data. ACR, Photoshop, Lightroom, Paint Shop Pro, ACDSee
    >Pro 2, etc. If your looking for a seperate file to go along with each image
    >your out of luck. However, the EXIF data is embedded in to the files.

    If you shoot RAW, you can convert your PEF files to DNG. With DNG
    files you can choose to embed metadata (including EXIF) into the DNG
    or put it into separate .xmp "sidecar" files. If you choose the latter
    you've got your EXIF in separate files in XML format. :)

    Mark Roberts, Sep 14, 2007
  17. Olin K. McDaniel

    Somebody Guest

    "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > Somebody wrote:
    >
    >>I have no problem seeing the EXIF data from my K10D images in any program
    >>that can show EXIF data. ACR, Photoshop, Lightroom, Paint Shop Pro, ACDSee
    >>Pro 2, etc. If your looking for a seperate file to go along with each
    >>image
    >>your out of luck. However, the EXIF data is embedded in to the files.

    > If you shoot RAW, you can convert your PEF files to DNG. With DNG
    > files you can choose to embed metadata (including EXIF) into the DNG
    > or put it into separate .xmp "sidecar" files. If you choose the latter
    > you've got your EXIF in separate files in XML format. :)
    >
    > --
    > Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
    > www.robertstech.com
    > 412-687-2835

    True but that isn't done in the camera is it. No one was talking about using
    a separate program on a computer to create the EXIF data file.

    Somebody!

    Somebody, Sep 15, 2007
  18. Olin K. McDaniel

    Dave Cohen Guest

    sadatoni wrote:
> [...]
    > SR Result : Stabilized
    > Shake Reduction : On
    > SR SWS To SWR Time : 249
    > Black Point : 0 0 0 0
    > White Point : 13888 8192 8192 9280
    > AE Exposure Time : 1/121
    > AE Aperture : 7.0
    > AE ISO : 100
    > AE Xv : 64
    > AEB Xv : 0
    > AE Flash Tv : 164
    > AE Program Mode : Manual/Program AE
    > Lens Codes : 40 214 18 110 132 70 144 102 128 137
    > 114 56 1 60 88 3
    > Flash Status : 0
    > Flash Mode Code : Off (242)
    > External Flash Mode : 63
    > Internal Flash Magni : 51
    > TTL DA A Up : 0
    > TTL DA A Down : 0
    > TTL DA B Up : 0
    > TTL DA B Down : 0
    > WB RGGB Levels Daylight : 13600 8192 8192 8765
    > WB RGGB Levels Shade : 16128 8192 8192 6635
    > WB RGGB Levels Cloudy : 14560 8192 8192 7782
    > WB RGGB Levels Tungsten : 8192 8192 8192 20971
    > WB RGGB Levels Fluorescent D : 17376 8192 8192 8847
    > WB RGGB Levels Fluorescent N : 14528 8192 8192 10076
    > WB RGGB Levels Fluorescent W : 13088 8192 8192 12206
    > WB RGGB Levels Flash : 13632 8192 8192 8601
    > Manufacture Date : 2007:04:02
    > Model Revision : 1.1
    > Internal Serial Number : 2121565
    > Battery Type : 2
    > Battery Body Grip States : 4 1
    > Battery AD Body No Load : 168
    > Battery AD Body Load : 164
    > Battery AD Grip No Load : 5
    > Battery AD Grip Load : 1
    > Flashpix Version : 0100
    > Color Space : sRGB
    > Exif Image Width : 3872
    > Exif Image Length : 2592
    > Interoperability Index : R98 - DCF basic file (sRGB)
    > Interoperability Version : 0100
    > Sensing Method : One-chip color area
    > File Source : Digital Camera
    > Scene Type : Directly photographed
    > Custom Rendered : Normal
    > Exposure Mode : Auto
    > Focal Length In 35mm Format : 30mm
    > Scene Capture Type : Standard
    > Contrast : Normal
    > Saturation : Normal
    > Sharpness : Hard
    > Subject Distance Range : Distant
    > Compression : JPEG (old-style)
    > Thumbnail Offset : 46172
    > Thumbnail Length : 6688
    > Image Width : 3872
    > Image Height : 2592
    > Encoding Process : Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
    > Bits Per Sample : 8
    > Color Components : 3
    > Y Cb Cr Sub Sampling : YCbCr4:2:2 (2 1)
    > Aperture : 6.7
    > Image Size : 3872x2592
    > Preview Image : (Binary data 27330 bytes, use -b
    > option to extract)
    > Scale Factor To 35mm Equivalent : 1.5
    > Shutter Speed : 1/125
    > Thumbnail Image : (Binary data 6688 bytes, use -b
    > option to extract)
    > Circle Of Confusion : 0.020 mm
    > Focal Length : 20.0mm (35mm equivalent: 30.0mm)

    Also take a look at Exifer (free download). I tried Exiftool and gave up
    trying to see if one gave info the other didn't.
    Exifer seems like a lot more friendly display and groups the data. Take
    your choice.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Sep 15, 2007
  19. Olin K. McDaniel

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Dave Cohen <> wrote:

    > sadatoni wrote:
    > > Wow, I just tried EXIFTOOL (Version 6.96 now) and there's TONS more
    > > stuff in a JPEG than the plug-in the IrFanView shows (Thanks Paul!).
    > > Here's what it shows for a JPEG from a K10D (I don't remember which
    > > picture I used for my previous post, so I'll pick one out of the same
    > > batch of pictures):
    > >
    > > ExifTool Version Number : 6.96
    > > File Name : IMGP0162.JPG
    > > Directory : .

    [..]
    > Also take a look at Exifer (free download). I tried Exiftool and gave up
    > trying to see if one gave info the other didn't.
    > Exifer seems like a lot more friendly display and groups the data. Take
    > your choice.

    Exiftool lets you select which grouping of information you'd like to
    see, but it does it on the command line. It can also retrieve a single
    item, if you know what that item is. It's very useful for scripting
    applications where you need to work with metadata, but not as friendly
    for use by humans.

    --
    http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2007/070416_argument.html

    Paul Mitchum, Sep 15, 2007