    time I take the pictures indoor and I'm afraid FZ7 will have a problem but I
    might be wrong. Please advice? FZ7 cost about $260 and K100D cost $460 with
    18-55 lens.

    -Almazick-, Feb 19, 2007

  2. (-Almazick-) wrote:

    > Most of the time I take the pictures indoor

    The 100D -- like all DSLRs I imagine -- is excellent in low light indoor
    situations. However the white balance is a pain in the neck; none of the
    onboard settings work well unless you use flash or manually set white
    balance against a white card. Using flash pictures are very good though,
    and the autofocus is very quick.

    The FZ7 is a much smaller, lighter camera though, in a completely
    different class. And of course Panasonic's sensors are notoriously best
    suited to outdoor situations with plenty of light.

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Feb 19, 2007

  3. -Almazick-

    m II Guest

    Andrew MacPherson wrote:
    > (-Almazick-) wrote:
    >
    >> Most of the time I take the pictures indoor

    > The 100D -- like all DSLRs I imagine -- is excellent in low light indoor
    > situations. However the white balance is a pain in the neck; none of the
    > onboard settings work well unless you use flash or manually set white
    > balance against a white card. Using flash pictures are very good though,
    > and the autofocus is very quick.
    >
    > The FZ7 is a much smaller, lighter camera though, in a completely
    > different class. And of course Panasonic's sensors are notoriously best
    > suited to outdoor situations with plenty of light.
    >
    > Andrew McP

    I have the Panasonic FZ-30 and the K100d. The Pentax takes superior
    pictures. The zoom on the Panasonic is the only reason for keeping it.
    Picture noise is noticeable at most ISO settings. It appears the ccd and
    the in camera sharpening take away anything that the Leica lens has to
    offer.

    The white balance in the Pentax has only bothered me in some fluorescent
    lighting situations. Manual setting the white balance for ambient
    conditions is really easy and you can buy a grey card at any good camera
    store.

    If it weren't for the zoom on the FZ-30, I would have dumped it months ago.

    mike

    m II, Feb 20, 2007
  4. In article <8uuCh.110583$Y6.89133@edtnps89>, (m II) wrote:
    > The white balance in the Pentax has only bothered me in some
    > fluorescent lighting situations.

    Perhaps my problems are made worse by the fact I only have low energy
    lightbulbs in the house (and not all the same type). I've got used to
    setting the WB manually now, but I could do with a dedicated button for
    it, as I use it so often.

    > If it weren't for the zoom on the FZ-30, I would have dumped it
    > months ago.

    Those superzooms have their uses, don't they. I was going to buy an
    18-250 Tamron for my K100D, but I'm probably going to buy an Olympus
    SP-550 instead. It'll probably be cheaper. :)

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Feb 20, 2007
  5. m II wrote:
    []
    > I have the Panasonic FZ-30 and the K100d. The Pentax takes superior
    > pictures. The zoom on the Panasonic is the only reason for keeping it.
    > Picture noise is noticeable at most ISO settings. It appears the ccd
    > and the in camera sharpening take away anything that the Leica lens
    > has to offer.

    []
    > mike

    So set the ISO and in-camera sharpening to what you would prefer.

    I have a Panasonic FZ5 and, whilst you can see the noise if you zoom up to
    1:1, for normal display or prints up to A4 size (297 x 210mm) noise simply
    isn't an issue. I use 100 ISO most of the time.

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 20, 2007