    better?
    I am considering buying the K100DS when it is available here.

    Thank you.

    spock, Jul 18, 2007

  2. spock

    John Bean Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:18:38 +0930, "spock"
    <> wrote:

    >I read some people are not happy with the Pentax K100D something to do
    >with poor quality focused images.

    Not sure whether you mean "poor quality even when focused"
    or "poor quality because of bad focus".

    >Is this a urban myth or is it really so. If this is so is the K100DS any
    >better?

    Every camera has complaints made against it by somebody. The
    vast majority of happy users rarely make much noise about it
    but a few malcontents make their problem sound like the end
    of the world.

    The short answer is there is no fundamental problem with the
    camera. Nobody can comment yet on the revised version yet in
    any case, such comment would be simply speculation.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Jul 18, 2007

  3. spock

    Pete D Guest

    "John Bean" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:18:38 +0930, "spock"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I read some people are not happy with the Pentax K100D something to do
    >>with poor quality focused images.

    > Not sure whether you mean "poor quality even when focused"
    > or "poor quality because of bad focus".
    >
    >>Is this a urban myth or is it really so. If this is so is the K100DS any
    >>better?

    > Every camera has complaints made against it by somebody. The
    > vast majority of happy users rarely make much noise about it
    > but a few malcontents make their problem sound like the end
    > of the world.
    >
    > The short answer is there is no fundamental problem with the
    > camera. Nobody can comment yet on the revised version yet in
    > any case, such comment would be simply speculation.
    >
    > --
    > John Bean

    So where did he hear this myth do you think John, sounds more made up to me?

    The reviews I have seen have only been positive, even at DP Review and Phil
    has a thing about Pentax in general.

    Pete D, Jul 18, 2007
  4. spock

    John Bean Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:59:08 +1000, "Pete D"
    <> wrote:
    >So where did he hear this myth do you think John, sounds more made up to me?

    Who knows, but I doubt it was made up. You see all the same
    crap I see in places like dpreview when someone complains
    about fron/back focus, pattern noise, easily lost eyecups
    (remember George?) and a whole list of other stuff. One
    complaint generates torrents of "discussion", no matter that
    the "issue" is real or imagined. Worse, you see people
    jumping on the bandwagon and starting new threads on the
    same subject, making it look like a bigger "issue" than it
    actually is. I can easily imagine a casual visitor getting
    the wrong impression of a camera if he hadn't followed the
    earlier discussion.

    The *vast* majority of happy users go completely unnoticed
    in favour of the tiny but loud minority, same reason news
    headlines never say "Everything is just fine".

    >The reviews I have seen have only been positive, even at DP Review and Phil
    >has a thing about Pentax in general.

    Exactly.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Jul 18, 2007
  5. spock

    SMS Guest

    spock wrote:
    > Hello Everyone
    > I read some people are not happy with the Pentax K100D something to do
    > with poor quality focused images.
    > Is this a urban myth or is it really so. If this is so is the K100DS any
    > better?
    > I am considering buying the K100DS when it is available here.

    The DS adds dust reduction and support for the new generation of lenses
    with Supersonic Drive Motor, but that's all. The image quality should be
    the same. "Some people" are never happy, but all reviews I've read have
    been positive about the K100D.

    The K10D looks especially nice, and offers several features not
    available on the lower-end model, besides the higher resolution. It's
    well worth the extra $$$ if you can afford it. In the U.S. the body-only
    sells for under $850. Two big advantages are the availability of a
    vertical battery grip, and the included Li-Ion battery and charger. You
    get more than 50% more shots per charge with the K10D that with the
    K100D/DS. Another advantage is the "JPEG+RAW" capability.

    SMS, Jul 18, 2007
  6. spock wrote:

    > Hello Everyone
    > I read some people are not happy with the Pentax K100D something to do
    > with poor quality focused images.
    > Is this a urban myth or is it really so. If this is so is the K100DS any
    > better?
    > I am considering buying the K100DS when it is available here.
    >
    > Thank you.

    The only poorly focused images out of my K100D have been my own damn
    fault... The camera is fine, the lenses I have used are fine, just the
    photographer has had some fumbles.

    Jim

    J. F. Cornwall, Jul 19, 2007
  7. spock

    spock Guest

    I had a look at a K100D today the question is do I wait until the super
    comes out
    which won't be available here until maybe september or
    Do I get the K100D now?
    Does the K100D have dust problem?

    Thanks

    spock, Jul 19, 2007
  8. spock

    SayWhat Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:58:57 +0930, "spock" <>
    wrote:

    >I had a look at a K100D today the question is do I wait until the super
    >comes out
    >which won't be available here until maybe september or
    >Do I get the K100D now?
    >Does the K100D have dust problem?
    >
    >Thanks

    ***ALL*** digital SLRs have a dust problem.

    SayWhat, Jul 19, 2007
  9. spock

    John Bean Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:28:13 GMT, SayWhat
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:58:57 +0930, "spock" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I had a look at a K100D today the question is do I wait until the super
    >>comes out
    >>which won't be available here until maybe september or
    >>Do I get the K100D now?
    >>Does the K100D have dust problem?
    >>
    >>Thanks

    >***ALL*** digital SLRs have a dust problem.

    My Olympus E-1 has never had any kind of dust problem.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Jul 19, 2007
  10. spock

    SayWhat Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:41:09 +0100, John Bean <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:28:13 GMT, SayWhat
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:58:57 +0930, "spock" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I had a look at a K100D today the question is do I wait until the super
    >>>comes out
    >>>which won't be available here until maybe september or
    >>>Do I get the K100D now?
    >>>Does the K100D have dust problem?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    >>***ALL*** digital SLRs have a dust problem.

    >My Olympus E-1 has never had any kind of dust problem.

    While the E-1 has a good method to deal with dust it has to deal with it because
    it _is_ a problem. The ultrasonic cleaning will do nothing to particulates that
    might adhere to the sensor, or dust that attaches when minor condensation
    happens to get on the sensor when changing lenses under varying temperature and
    humidity conditions, or static charges between you and the ground and air are
    higher than can be compensated for by the ultrasonic motion.

    Or you never changed your lens outside of laboratory "clean-room" conditions --
    meaning you bought a very very expensive, noisy, and mirror-shaking P&S camera.

    Just because your digital SLR has a better way of dealing with the dust problem
    doesn't mean it's still not a major problem with ***ALL*** of them.

    SayWhat, Jul 19, 2007
  11. spock

    John Bean Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:45:07 GMT, SayWhat
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:41:09 +0100, John Bean <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:28:13 GMT, SayWhat
    >><> wrote:

    >>>***ALL*** digital SLRs have a dust problem.

    >>My Olympus E-1 has never had any kind of dust problem.

    >While the E-1 has a good method to deal with dust it has to deal with it because
    >it _is_ a problem.

    It's not a problem *for me*.

    >The ultrasonic cleaning will do nothing to particulates that
    >might adhere to the sensor, or dust that attaches when minor condensation
    >happens to get on the sensor when changing lenses under varying temperature and
    >humidity conditions, or static charges between you and the ground and air are
    >higher than can be compensated for by the ultrasonic motion.

    Whatever. In real-world use I've never had need to clean it,
    ever. This is my experience of the E-1... have you owned and
    used one?

    >Or you never changed your lens outside of laboratory "clean-room" conditions --
    >meaning you bought a very very expensive, noisy, and mirror-shaking P&S camera.

    Nonsense, I change lenses whenever and wherever needed.

    >Just because your digital SLR has a better way of dealing with the dust problem
    >doesn't mean it's still not a major problem with ***ALL*** of them.

    Of course it does. It's not a problem at all *to me*, and
    that's all that matters.

    PS: I've been using digital SLRs since 2002, and the E-1 is
    the only dSLR I've owned that has never needed dust
    cleaning. Theorise all you want, but I have real-world
    evidence that what you say is not actually true, no matter
    how many stars you want to put around the word "all" for
    emphasis.

    PPS: the shaking sensor method used by Pentax doesn't work,
    so we can agree on that at least.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Jul 19, 2007
  12. spock

    Pete D Guest

    "John Bean" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:45:07 GMT, SayWhat
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:41:09 +0100, John Bean <> wrote:

    >>>My Olympus E-1 has never had any kind of dust problem.

    >>While the E-1 has a good method to deal with dust it has to deal with it
    >>because
    >>it _is_ a problem.

    > It's not a problem *for me*.
    >
    >>The ultrasonic cleaning will do nothing to particulates that
    >>might adhere to the sensor, or dust that attaches when minor condensation
    >>happens to get on the sensor when changing lenses under varying
    >>temperature and
    >>humidity conditions, or static charges between you and the ground and air
    >>are
    >>higher than can be compensated for by the ultrasonic motion.

    > Whatever. In real-world use I've never had need to clean it,
    > ever. This is my experience of the E-1... have you owned and
    > used one?
    >
    >>Or you never changed your lens outside of laboratory "clean-room"
    >>conditions --
    >>meaning you bought a very very expensive, noisy, and mirror-shaking P&S
    >>camera.

    > Nonsense, I change lenses whenever and wherever needed.
    >>
    >>Just because your digital SLR has a better way of dealing with the dust
    >>problem
    >>doesn't mean it's still not a major problem with ***ALL*** of them.

    > Of course it does. It's not a problem at all *to me*, and
    > that's all that matters.
    >
    > PS: I've been using digital SLRs since 2002, and the E-1 is
    > the only dSLR I've owned that has never needed dust
    > cleaning. Theorise all you want, but I have real-world
    > evidence that what you say is not actually true, no matter
    > how many stars you want to put around the word "all" for
    > emphasis.
    >
    > PPS: the shaking sensor method used by Pentax doesn't work,
    > so we can agree on that at least.
    >
    > --
    > John Bean

    Agree John, it is indeed a *****problem***** but it is quite minor, only
    happens occasionally and easily dealt with. What some of these trolls seem
    to forget is that the sensor is only ever exposed when you are taking a shot
    because it is hidden behind the shutter curtain the rest of the time and oh
    yes a big fat mirror. I have travelled extensively in very dusty conditions
    in Australia and with just a little care it is only a * very minor* issue.

    Cheers.

    Pete

    Pete D, Jul 19, 2007
  13. spock wrote:
    > I had a look at a K100D today the question is do I wait until the super
    > comes out
    > which won't be available here until maybe september or
    > Do I get the K100D now?
    > Does the K100D have dust problem?

    Problems? No, I got a few dust specks on the sensor, but was able to
    get them removed with a Rocket blower without any problem. I change
    lenses pretty often, between the kit lens and a couple of old manual
    lenses I had from film days. Me, I'd probably spring for the curent
    model just so I'd be able to use it. If you keep waiting for "the nex
    best thing to come along", you may never get a camera in your hands...
    But that's just me.

    Jim

    J. F. Cornwall, Jul 20, 2007
  14. spock

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:28:13 GMT
    SayWhat <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:58:57 +0930, "spock"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I had a look at a K100D today the question is do I wait until the
    > >super comes out
    > >which won't be available here until maybe september or
    > >Do I get the K100D now?
    > >Does the K100D have dust problem?
    > >
    > >Thanks

    > ***ALL*** digital SLRs have a dust problem.

    Still less of a problem than happened with film cameras - have you ever
    had a tramline to get rid of on film.
    Dust on digital is not a real problem in reality but only in peoples
    minds.

    --
    Neil
    Reverse ie and delete l for email.