    or football games/marching band performances at long distances.

    Comments appreciated.

    Jim

    J. F. Cornwall, Jul 28, 2006

  2. J. F. Cornwall

    Pete D Guest

    "J. F. Cornwall" <> wrote in message
    news:_9eyg.166513$k%3.11919@dukeread12...
    > Anyone in the group tried the K100D out? Looking at the specs, it's
    > supposed to have a new "Shake Reduction" feature that moves the sensor
    > within the body rather than messing about inside the lenses. Sounds
    > intersting. http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies/k100
    >
    > Curious about it because of this feature, and because it would be really
    > nice to be able to use our collection of old K-mount lenses again. No
    > autofocus isn't a problem, most of what I shoot tends to be landscapes or
    > football games/marching band performances at long distances.
    >
    > Comments appreciated.
    >
    > Jim

    Jim,

    I have a DS and was playing with a K100D yesterday, very similar except for
    IS and bigger screen, the focusing also seemed a little faster. Fletchers
    have them with an 18-200mm Sigma lens (reasonable if not amazing lens) for
    around the $1400 or it may have been a little more, the IS is not something
    that will compel me to dig deep on its own but these are a solid model that
    you would be very happy with. I am waiting for the new 10MP model and will
    get one of these as soon as they are available.

    Pete D, Jul 28, 2006

  3. J. F. Cornwall

    Pete D Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    > "J. F. Cornwall" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone in the group tried the K100D out? Looking at the specs, it's
    >> supposed to have a new "Shake Reduction" feature that moves the sensor
    >> within the body rather than messing about inside the lenses. Sounds
    >> intersting. http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies/k100
    >>
    >> Curious about it because of this feature, and because it would be really
    >> nice to be able to use our collection of old K-mount lenses again. No
    >> autofocus isn't a problem, most of what I shoot tends to be landscapes or
    >> football games/marching band performances at long distances.
    >>
    >> Comments appreciated.
    >>
    >> Jim

    > Jim,
    >
    > I have a DS and was playing with a K100D yesterday, very similar except
    > for IS and bigger screen, the focusing also seemed a little faster.
    > Fletchers have them with an 18-200mm Sigma lens (reasonable if not amazing
    > lens) for around the $1400 or it may have been a little more, the IS is
    > not something that will compel me to dig deep on its own but these are a
    > solid model that you would be very happy with. I am waiting for the new
    > 10MP model and will get one of these as soon as they are available.

    That was Australian Dollars by the way.

    Pete D, Jul 28, 2006
  4. Pete D wrote:
    > "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    >> "J. F. Cornwall" <> wrote in message
    >>> Anyone in the group tried the K100D out? Looking at the specs, it's
    >>> supposed to have a new "Shake Reduction" feature that moves the sensor
    >>> within the body rather than messing about inside the lenses. Sounds
    >>> intersting. http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies/k100
    >>>
    >>> Curious about it because of this feature, and because it would be really
    >>> nice to be able to use our collection of old K-mount lenses again. No
    >>> autofocus isn't a problem, most of what I shoot tends to be landscapes or
    >>> football games/marching band performances at long distances.
    >>>
    >>> Comments appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Jim

    >> Jim,
    >>
    >> I have a DS and was playing with a K100D yesterday, very similar except
    >> for IS and bigger screen, the focusing also seemed a little faster.
    >> Fletchers have them with an 18-200mm Sigma lens (reasonable if not amazing
    >> lens) for around the $1400 or it may have been a little more, the IS is
    >> not something that will compel me to dig deep on its own but these are a
    >> solid model that you would be very happy with. I am waiting for the new
    >> 10MP model and will get one of these as soon as they are available.

    > That was Australian Dollars by the way.

    Thanks Pete. Maybe I'll have something to put on my Christmas list this
    year :)

    Jim

    J.F. Cornwall, Jul 28, 2006
  5. J. F. Cornwall

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Pete D <> wrote:

    [..]
    > I have a DS and was playing with a K100D yesterday, very similar except
    > for IS and bigger screen, the focusing also seemed a little faster.
    > Fletchers have them with an 18-200mm Sigma lens (reasonable if not amazing
    > lens) for around the $1400 or it may have been a little more, the IS is
    > not something that will compel me to dig deep on its own but these are a
    > solid model that you would be very happy with. I am waiting for the new
    > 10MP model and will get one of these as soon as they are available.

    I'm pretty sure the 10mp model they announced a while back works only
    with 645 medium format lenses.

    Paul Mitchum, Jul 28, 2006
  6. J. F. Cornwall

    Pete D Guest

    "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message
    > Pete D <> wrote:
    >
    > [..]
    >> I have a DS and was playing with a K100D yesterday, very similar except
    >> for IS and bigger screen, the focusing also seemed a little faster.
    >> Fletchers have them with an 18-200mm Sigma lens (reasonable if not
    >> amazing
    >> lens) for around the $1400 or it may have been a little more, the IS is
    >> not something that will compel me to dig deep on its own but these are a
    >> solid model that you would be very happy with. I am waiting for the new
    >> 10MP model and will get one of these as soon as they are available.

    > I'm pretty sure the 10mp model they announced a while back works only
    > with 645 medium format lenses.

    No, definately APS-C.

    Pete D, Jul 28, 2006
  7. J. F. Cornwall

    Guest

    Pete D wrote:

    > "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message
    > > Pete D <> wrote:
    > >
    > > [..]
    > >> I have a DS and was playing with a K100D yesterday, very similar except
    > >> for IS and bigger screen, the focusing also seemed a little faster.
    > >> Fletchers have them with an 18-200mm Sigma lens (reasonable if not
    > >> amazing
    > >> lens) for around the $1400 or it may have been a little more, the IS is
    > >> not something that will compel me to dig deep on its own but these are a
    > >> solid model that you would be very happy with. I am waiting for the new
    > >> 10MP model and will get one of these as soon as they are available.

    > > I'm pretty sure the 10mp model they announced a while back works only
    > > with 645 medium format lenses.

    > No, definately APS-C.

    The new Pentax K10D will be a 10mp APS-c sensor camera with built in
    shake reduction.

    , Jul 29, 2006
  8. J. F. Cornwall

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Pete D wrote:
    >
    > > "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message
    > > > Pete D <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > [..]
    > > >
    > > > I'm pretty sure the 10mp model they announced a while back works only
    > > > with 645 medium format lenses.

    > > No, definately APS-C.

    > The new Pentax K10D will be a 10mp APS-c sensor camera with built in
    > shake reduction.

    Ah, I hadn't neard of the K10D. Sounds more likely to actually be
    shipped than the vaporware medium format camera they promised.

    Paul Mitchum, Jul 29, 2006
  9. J. F. Cornwall

    Guest

    Paul Mitchum wrote:

    > <> wrote:

    <snip>

    > > The new Pentax K10D will be a 10mp APS-c sensor camera with built in
    > > shake reduction.

    > Ah, I hadn't neard of the K10D. Sounds more likely to actually be
    > shipped than the vaporware medium format camera they promised.

    The 645D is meant to be a 12mp 1.5x crop medium format digital slr.
    Both the 645D and K10D are just as real as each other.
    Both are supposed to be launched at Photokina this year.

    , Jul 29, 2006
  10. Paul Mitchum wrote:

    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Pete D wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message

    >>>No, definately APS-C.

    >>The new Pentax K10D will be a 10mp APS-c sensor camera with built in
    >>shake reduction.

    > Ah, I hadn't neard of the K10D. Sounds more likely to actually be
    > shipped than the vaporware medium format camera they promised.

    Hmm. As one of the consumer-level users (vs professional-level), I'm
    not sure it would make much difference for my needs. Nice to know,
    though. :)

    Jim

    J. F. Cornwall, Jul 29, 2006